The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

they need the shelving they are getting

give them time, a lot of time, forget "who will play wolverine" don't bring him back for 10 years, plenty of other avenues for them to explore, I would put F4 ahead of another xmen reboot

i'd also they rather explored the world of TV with the xmen, larger ensemble cast, gives them longer to explore each character's background and get the themes in, basically do a live action version of the cartoons, they have a decade's worth of good TV 75% already written for them, easier to curtail the bloat 

The X-men films at this point is seriously flogging a dead horse. 

It actually angers me that they think they can release these mediocre films and people will lap it up....just because.

I hope it loses money for them I really do.

• Like 1

The X-Men Films are the most overrated film franchise in history.

They've been utter garbage since day 1.

I would like to see Logan as that sounds like it was actually good. but everything else I've seen from the series has been dreadful.

• Like 1

most of the XMen movies are awful but somehow have great performances from McKellen, Jackman, Stewart, Fassbender and McAvoy. Rest is dire and they take themselves too serious unlike Marvel made movies

First Class,Logan and Days of Future Past probably the exceptions

Edited by Zatman
  • Like 2

it's weird, First Class and Days of Future Past ( and Logan, though that feels separate ) are both great films, yet so many of the others are twaddle. I've not seen Apocalypse mind but it sounds like it's in the twaddle category.

We've done this over and over, but still...

The original X-Men is a decent early modern comic book movie. It hasn't aged all that well and had some notoriously grim bits (Storm/Road, shudder), but it's ok.

X2 is genuinely a top tier comic book movie. It's basically the epitomy of the story allegory X-Men returns to, that of discrimination. It's old now but it's still good, still works.

X3 is a **** mess. Rushed, badly made, poor script, weak all round.

X-Men Origins Wolverine is absolutely dreadful. Nothing redeems it. Awful. Wrong in every way, so wrong it takes Deadpool and makes him into a silent Terminator thing at the end. Dreadful. Shall takes the award for one of the worst moments of CGI on a movie ever - the claws in the bathroom scene.

X-Men First Class is half a good film. The Magneto origin stuff is pretty good, everything else is varying degrees of weak. Havok flying is one of the worst things in cinematic history.

The Wolverine is a decent adaptation of Wolverine's Japanese saga that suffers for one of the most blatant 'depower the hero to make it interesting' plots in cinema and the Silver Samurais stuff at the end is a bit shit. But it's not bad.

Days of Future Past is a good melding of the old and new of the series and nicely takes some ideas from the lauded comic. Very good, takes the best of both worlds of the series with Wolverine as a bridge. Possibly the highlight of the main X-Men series.

Deadpool is its own thing, but at the same time is one of the best X-Men films full stop. Nicely pokes fun at the series (and genre), some good action, career defining role for Reynolds... Great.

Logan is wonderful. It's a genuinely well written and made character study, with nice Western tropes, and some excellent ideas. It's biggest flaw is the use of X-24. Top tier stuff, regardless of genre.

X-Men Apocalypse is... ooft. Bad. The attempt at doing a second generation of the First Class idea doesn't work, because the casting is shite, notably Sophie Turner as Jean Grey being awful. Oscar Isaac is dreadful as Apocalypse, and the entire thing feels bizarrely rushed and cheap, like nobody could actually be bothered with it.

Deadpool 2 is good, gives us probably the most accurate take on Juggernaut we'll ever get, does some clever stuff with Domino and has some wonderful jokes. Brolin is decent as a slightly different take on Cable. It's not as good as the original but partly that's because it's more of a known quantity.

The series has had some series ups and downs. It's biggest plus points have been some inspired casting (Stewart, McKellan, McAvoy, Fassbender, Reynolds, Jackman basically made his own Wolverine...), it's lowest lows come from the films where they were clearly just throwing the films out without any care or effort. It's other weakness has been that the series kinda has 1 story to tell, mutants as allegory for racism/homophobia/discrimination generally, and it nailed that on the second go. After that they either returned to the well too often or the plots they chose to deal with have less weight.

Dark Phoenix would seem to be the worst of all worlds with the series. Had the Disney merger happened earlier I imagine they might have scrapped it entirely.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

The original X-Men is a decent early modern comic book movie. It hasn't aged all that well and had some notoriously grim bits (Storm/Road, shudder), but it's ok.

X2 is genuinely a top tier comic book movie. It's basically the epitomy of the story allegory X-Men returns to, that of discrimination. It's old now but it's still good, still works.

X-Men Origins Wolverine is absolutely dreadful. Nothing redeems it. Awful. Wrong in every way, so wrong it takes Deadpool and makes him into a silent Terminator thing at the end. Dreadful. Shall takes the award for one of the worst moments of CGI on a movie ever - the claws in the bathroom scene.

X-Men First Class is half a good film. The Magneto origin stuff is pretty good, everything else is varying degrees of weak. Havok flying is one of the worst things in cinematic history.

The Wolverine is a decent adaptation of Wolverine's Japanese saga that suffers for one of the most blatant 'depower the hero to make it interesting' plots in cinema and the Silver Samurais stuff at the end is a bit shit. But it's not bad.

Days of Future Past is a good melding of the old and new of the series and nicely takes some ideas from the lauded comic. Very good, takes the best of both worlds of the series with Wolverine as a bridge. Possibly the highlight of the main X-Men series.

Deadpool is its own thing, but at the same time is one of the best X-Men films full stop. Nicely pokes fun at the series (and genre), some good action, career defining role for Reynolds... Great.

Logan is wonderful. It's a genuinely well written and made character study, with nice Western tropes, and some excellent ideas. It's biggest flaw is the use of X-24. Top tier stuff, regardless of genre.

X-Men Apocalypse is... ooft. Bad. The attempt at doing a second generation of the First Class idea doesn't work, because the casting is shite, notably Sophie Turner as Jean Grey being awful. Oscar Isaac is dreadful as Apocalypse, and the entire thing feels bizarrely rushed and cheap, like nobody could actually be bothered with it.

Deadpool 2 is good, gives us probably the most accurate take on Juggernaut we'll ever get, does some clever stuff with Domino and has some wonderful jokes. Brolin is decent as a slightly different take on Cable. It's not as good as the original but partly that's because it's more of a known quantity.

The series has had some series ups and downs. It's biggest plus points have been some inspired casting (Stewart, McKellan, McAvoy, Fassbender, Reynolds, Jackman basically made his own Wolverine...), it's lowest lows come from the films where they were clearly just throwing the films out without any care or effort. It's other weakness has been that the series kinda has 1 story to tell, mutants as allegory for racism/homophobia/discrimination generally, and it nailed that on the second go. After that they either returned to the well too often or the plots they chose to deal with have less weight.

Dark Phoenix would seem to be the worst of all worlds with the series. Had the Disney merger happened earlier I imagine they might have scrapped it entirely.

X-Men 1 was shit

X-Men 2 was worse. One of the most overrated movies ever.

X-Men 3 was laughably awful

X-Men origins Wolverine is shit

Days of Future Past is ok

Deadpool is great, but I'm not sure if it counts

Haven't bothered with the rest, but I'd like to see Logan

8 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

X-Men 1 was shit

I'd genuinely like to know what is shit about X-Men 2. I could understand not liking it, that's just a matter of taste, but I can't see what's shit about that film.

And Deadpool is definitely an X-Men character. He's been associated with then with for years and his films are pointedly in the X-Men universe with X-Men characters and locations.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chindie said:

I'd genuinely like to know what is shit about X-Men 2. I could understand not liking it, that's just a matter of taste, but I can't see what's shit about that film.

And Deadpool is definitely an X-Men character. He's been associated with then with for years and his films are pointedly in the X-Men universe with X-Men characters and locations.

I take it back, having googled them I'm getting 1 and 2 mixed up. They're both crap, but 2 is slightly less crap.

The first one also contains the worst line of any film I've ever seen/heard.

18 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

X-Men 1 was shit

Outside the Deadpool ones Logan is probably the best one, although I think it's pretty overrated.

Solid 7/10 but nothing special.

30 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

The first one also contains the worst line of any film I've ever seen/heard.

Still no idea why they removed all the other lines that lead up to that one.

It would still have been weak, but at least it would have made sense.

• Like 1

For whatever reason X men 3 is the one I’ve seen the most, it seems to be frequently on when channel hopping.

To be more precise, the scene that I find myself tuning in time for is the bit in the house when Famke Janssen goes mental making the water come out of the kitchen sink and Ian Mckellen saying “Charles!!!”.

I think that bit is alright, but I suspect that’s mainly down to McKellen being rather good.

19 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

X-Men 1 was shit

Don't agree the original xmens were shit. Maybe the third but the durst two were decent. 

Deadpool obviously is hand down the best of them all one and two. 

If you think these are bad the new group is x10 worse. I'll bet the original xmen 3 phoenix is better than the crap one out currently 

5 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Don't agree the original xmens were shit. Maybe the third but the durst two were decent. 

Deadpool obviously is hand down the best of them all one and two. 

If you think these are bad the new group is x10 worse. I'll bet the original xmen 3 phoenix is better than the crap one out currently 

550867bfecad0437754416ff-320-240.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Richard The Lionheart: Rebellion    (2015)

I sat down to watch this film expecting it to be a good film and to enjoy watching it .Sadly it was average at best 

Red Sparrow was a bit meh.

I wanted it to be good as I like that sort of films, but there wasn't really anything there. Never got going.

Tons of better movies in that category. Not poor, but meh.

Almost 2.5 h long but still felt rushed and the characters underdeveloped.

5.5/10

stumbled across and ended up watching Foxcatcher last night

was really good, if you enjoy something slow and quiet with no CGI

Based around American Olympic wrestling in the 1980's

Foxcatcher_First_Teaser_Poster.jpg

• Like 3

On 06/06/2019 at 11:54, Chindie said:

I’d agree with this apart from probably The Wolverine, wasn’t a fan of that. 

There’s meant to be one/two more fox ones even though the takeover has happened. Although I wouldn’t be surprised to see that they only do the New Mutants one (looks to be more of a horror set up than your standard comic book movie).

The MCU will make a good X Men movie eventually but I think they’ll wait until Phase 5 for that. 

Watched Searching last night.  A really interesting premise and cracks along at a good pace with some interesting twists and turns.  We really enjoyed it.  Was weird at first seeing John Cho not shouting "MILF, MILF" but he does a good job of becoming increasingly desperate (and tired) as the films goes on.

Definitely worth a look.

• Like 1

Â