The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

16 hours ago, Designer1 said:

Early Abrahamson - Noice :thumb:

As for Tyrannosaur? That's how to do a directorial debut.

Indeed. What a double bill it was (I've seen both before of course). They did actually go really well together but you feel like you need a good hot shower afterwards.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

For those who haven't seen it, the incredible Free Solo is on Channel 4 tonight at 9pm. 

Yep, highly recommended. Brilliant documentary.

1 hour ago, Designer1 said:

For those who haven't seen it, the incredible Free Solo is on Channel 4 tonight at 9pm. 

**** that's weird. I strangely watched this yesterday completely randomly.  And yeah, it's very good! 

Rewatched Rush the other night as Niki Lauda's passing prompted memories of it. Remains really enjoyable, though the final reflections by Bruhl's Lauda have that bit more pathos to them understandably. Reading around it, is crazy to think they had to exclude additional drama from that season to keep to the film narrative. 

• Like 2

Finally got around to watching Dark City after seeing it recommended on here some time back.. can't remember by whom. Really interesting narrative style and a throughly enjoyable movie.

I thought Salvation was ok but it didn't feel like part of the Terminator world at all for me.

Terminator 3 was ok and did feel like it was in the world but making it a Terminatrix was unnecessary and didn't work for me.

Genisys was just terrible.

Terminator 3 wasn't great, but the way they tied everything together in the end made it worth it. That was great.

Everything beyond that has been poor.

Rocket man was good fun. I really don't know Elton John's music or life much at all and I assume there are fictions aplenty but as a film itself I thought it worked very well. Taron Egerton is excellent. Some bits, particularly in the therapy scene are on the noise and is a very clunky metaphor but I was forgiving of flaws as it was good fun

• Like 1

Us was slightly disappointing, wasn't terrible but not as good as I hoped either.

Drifted a bit too close to M Night Shamalamalama territory on occasions.

Get Out was miles better than this one.

6/10

John Wick 3 was the perfect film for the wife and I to spend our anniversary!

absolutely brilliant with no time to catch breath from one set piece to another. 

Right from the off, with the scrap in the library, the pace did not dwindle. 

Hats off to the fight coordinators- terrific job! 

8 hours ago, Designer1 said:

Brightburn-poster-art-doaly.thumb.jpg.054196772c2fec10fbe2d5c97e176c52.jpg

Great concept, average movie.

Some well put together scenes, and decently acted but falls short of memorable.

Saw the trailer for this yesterday and like the idea of the ‘superman’ early years gone wrong! 

Shame it doesn’t live up to the idea.

also saw the trailer for Midsommer, which looked very intriguing in a wicker man way. 

Â