The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Watched the live action Aladdin re-make today. 

It was ok TBF and Will Smith was pretty good as the Genie. Some decent set pieces and the two leads were ok as well. 

Mixed feelings towards this, hopefully it's better than Ghost in the shell.

The Live-Action 'Akira' Movie Is Now Set For Release In May 2021

The live-action 'Akira' movie will be released in 2021.

It seems after all the endless delays that the live-action Akira movie is finally getting made and will be released in May 2021.

Specifically, according to The Hollywood Reporter the live-action Akiramovie will be released on May 21, 2021, which is the same release date for John Wick: Chapter 4.

My guess is one of these films will shift its release date but for now, the live-action Akira movie is a reality and that definitely concerns me.

On the one hand, we have Taika Waititi attached to direct and he is clearly more enamored with the original Akira manga rather than the anime as the source material for the live-action movie.

This, in part, gives me hope that Waititi will at least adapt Akira from the proper source, something that the live-action Ghost in the Shell movie utterly failed at.

However, considering the long-running history of Hollywood ruining anime and manga properties, I am skeptical that this adaptation of Akira will turn out okay.

While Waititi may understand and know the contents of the original Akiramanga, it’s safe to say that most of those in Hollywood’s esteemed management likely do not.

It’s this knowledge gap that has plagued the various live-action Netflix adaptations, resulting in a depressingly accurate meme.

Admittedly, Katsuhiro Otomo did explain to me when I interviewed him that he wouldn’t sign off on a movie script unless he thought it was decent. So the fact that this Akira movie is going ahead does mean Otomo gave it his approval.

Whatever happens, I just hope that one of the best manga series of the last four decades isn’t ruined with a live-action adaptation, much in the same way both Dragon Ball and Ghost in the Shell were.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/olliebarder/2019/05/26/the-live-action-akira-movie-is-now-set-for-release-in-may-2021/

Adapting the manga is a great idea - but as a single movie? I'm not so sure. There's basically a soft reset of the whole story half way through (spoiler - Tetsuo wins) which would work perfectly well for a double header (or indeed a series), but a single movie? You can't faithfully adapt the manga without it so...it's an odd one. There's some terrific characters who barely made it, or didn't appear at all, in the original anime movie. 

Now, a live action prouduction of Berserk, as a series, in a post GoT landscape? Yes **** please. 

• Like 1

Has the anime always been regarded as crap as I watched it back in my teens and remember everyone bummed off it for ages? Always thought people loved it. I loved it 🤷‍♂️.

I'm sceptical over music biographies, even more so when they play with the music and they have a producer role so I doubt it will say anything he doesn't want said but it's getting great reviews

like a bit of Elton too

Getting really good reviews apparently.

Not seen the whole series so might have to binge as it follows the events but 10 tears on.

June 1st on HBO

• Like 1

Watched ‘Godzilla: King of the Monsters’ today.

loads of dumb fun. Monsters are great, effects are good and it rattles along at a right old pace. 

Not much of a story, but a more than decent action/monster flick. 

Proper looking forward to Godzilla Vs Kong next year.  

Robert Pattinson confirmed as the new Batman.

I struggle to think of anyone else that would work as a young Bruce Wayne. Apparently Nicholas Hoult was the other front runner which is... Yeah, no.

• Like 1

Saw Booksmart tonight. Didn't live up to some enthusiastic reviews from Kermode and others. There are better iterations of types of this film, like Lady Bird and Dazed and Confused but once it got going after a very slow start the second 2/3rds were pretty decent.

Rim of the world on Netflix is one of the most fun kids movies I’ve seen on yonks. Plenty of great one-liners and just a proper romp of an adventure. 

On 29/05/2019 at 06:40, villa4europe said:

sure this has been talked about for but I found the dialogue really hard to follow, olde English with a lot of swearing

might try it again

I don't recall the series having such antique style language. I shut it off about 20 minutes in cuz it was too distracting. I'll finish it at some point but...did people really talk like that in South Dakota?

35 minutes ago, maqroll said:

I don't recall the series having such antique style language. I shut it off about 20 minutes in cuz it was too distracting. I'll finish it at some point but...did people really talk like that in South Dakota?

Deadwood has a stylistic choice in it for the people to talk with old fashioned language scattered with swearing to reflect the fact that cowboys would have cursed a lot, but they would have used words like 'tarnation', which comes across as quaint to modern ears but would have had similar impact to saying 'shit' and '****' today.

On 01/06/2019 at 16:41, choffer said:

Rim of the world on Netflix is one of the most fun kids movies I’ve seen on yonks. Plenty of great one-liners and just a proper romp of an adventure. 

happy kenneth williams GIF

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 01/06/2019 at 16:41, choffer said:

The black kid has a bright future, Excellent comic timing which is tough for some adults to master.

• Like 1

Just noticed Netflix have added this gem to their library. If you're a fan of intelligent horror and haven't seen it then it's well worth a watch.

41slSyiK5aL.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Â