The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

16 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Polar

A Mads guy is too jumpy to own a dog so he gets fish instead. The girl from High School Musical is even more jumpy. Matt Lucas, who plays Elton John, tries to kill the Mads guy so that he doesn’t have to pay out his pension.

It’s funny, if you like blood and shit films.

9.5/10

This felt like two films spliced into one for me. Whilst Mads Mikkelsen was great, Matt Lucas and the other cartoon character baddies were abysmal. 

Such a shame as the concept was good. 

• Like 1

Watched The Big Sick last night and really enjoyed it. Draws you in nicely, though almost too well as I wanted to know so much more about the parents, the girlfriend and the main fella's family. Adeel Akthar in a small supporting role was fun, partly as as soon as I soon him I couldn't get 'Faisal' from Four Lions out of my head.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Designer1 said:

The_Kindergarten_Teacher.jpg.8a62fa21d3a45da2f942dd3d4a85cf29.jpg

A terrific performance from Gyllenhaal in a thoughtful and subtly layered movie.

Recommended :thumb:

Presuming that’s a re-make? Pretty sure I saw the original a few years back and it was really good. 

Captain Marvel is plenty of fun. Probably not one of the best ones but I enjoyed the humour and the 90s nostalgia. Easily pleased perhaps. She has absurd powers mind, but then there's never any peril with any of the marvely characters anyway so that doesn't bother me, although 

Spoiler

Why did she get so much more powerful than the Kree? Or did I misunderstand that bit and it all came from core explosion? 

Oh and the 2nd post credit bit is a total waste of time btw. 

While I was out at the Bob Mould gig last night, the missus watched Birdbox. What with the NZ shooting, and the dismal weather, she's been depressed and miserable all day today. 

• Like 1

Watched The Mule yesterday with old Clint.

For anyone who has seen Gran Torino (which was great btw) this is almost like a sequel to that film. Clint is essentially still playing the same character here albeit slightly more amiable and weary to that previous character. Gran Torino at a guess must be coming up to 10 years old now and Clint is definitely showing his age these days. That slight glint is still there but any remains of the tough old guy he was clinging on to are gone here and it suits the character.

What the film does well is cut out any fat and get straight to the point, sometimes to the films own detriment where the bad guys are bad and the good guys are good. There's really no backstory to anyone here but with such a good line-up of cast members they do get away with it most of the time. The cast here is almost bigger than it needs to be and you get the sense some of these people just wanted to work with Clint while they still could.

There's elements of breaking bad here as well where the initial foot on the ladder is out of desperation but then an enjoyment of the danger kicks in and you wonder where the line has been crossed somewhere along the way.

There's nothing out of the ordinary here but everything is done so well and zips along at a fair old pace you can't help but enjoy the ride.

8/10.

Edited by AVFCDAN
  • Thanks 1

On 27/01/2019 at 13:46, Brumerican said:

I probably could have made a better Aquaman film from editing bits of Entourage together . I have never seen so many bad decisions made in a film for quite some time .

9/10 Must see.

Scratch that.

I watched Suicide Squad last night .

Image result for thats bad gif

my local showed the original Japanese version of The Ring last night

Not as "scary" as the Hollywood remake but judging from the noises my mate was making whenever the leading lady came on screen Nanako Matsushima is his preference over Naomi Watts ..

I think the Hollywood version was better if i'm honest but the original isn't without it's merits 

• Like 1

Was planning on catching up with a few more recent movies I hadn't gotten around to watch yet on the flight home yesterday.

But ended up watching Alien, 28 Days Later and the original Predator movie for about the 20th time.

I made the right call, love those films :D 

doesnt really need a trailer to sell me on that to be fair

as for suicide squad, number 2 isnt a sequel its a reboot, will be called the suicide squad....what a mess

i thought aquaman was ok, momoa carries it just about, its utterly daft and got a proper what the **** is going on comic book battle at the end but its still watchable, not sure if DC actually get the benefit of the doubt now especially in the context of "at least its not as shit as suicide squad / batman vs superman"

Really, really looking forward to seeing this next week...

220px-Us_(2019)_theatrical_poster.png

The new movie from Jordan Peele (Get Out) is getting absolutely incredible reviews and is looking like a fantastic piece of work.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, pooligan said:

The Watchmen     (2009)

I could'nt make my mind up if i liked this film or not to be honest,i certainly found it different though.

The intro with “the times they are a-changin’” playing as a soundtrack is fantastic.

The film as a whole is a bit of a mess. But it’s very watchable (no pun intended).

• Like 2

I think it’s an achievement in itself that it made it to screen without really losing anything from the novel. Also - *engages flame shield and whispers quietly* - I actually preferred the films ending.

Â