The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

24 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

I've never seen or heard of Cube, may have to check it out.

It's a genuine cult classic and a must see for anyone interested in the horror genre.

You'll see a fair few similarities with Escape Room I'm sure.

• Like 3

Only just read that they’re making another terminator film, this time with Linda Hamilton in it.

It’s a direct sequel to judgement day, meaning that the time and money I wasted on the films in between has been further compounded.

19 hours ago, pooligan said:

The Hustler  (1961)

A great film i remember watching when i was a young boy. Still enjoyable watch all these years later 

Yes great Newman film. Then theres the sequel the colour of money

2 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Only just read that they’re making another terminator film, this time with Linda Hamilton in it.

It’s a direct sequel to judgement day, meaning that the time and money I wasted on the films in between has been further compounded.

Which one will the terminator fight 1st alien or predator?

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Which one will the terminator fight 1st alien or predator?

Haha to be honest I’m a little bit surprised that the Terminator v Robocop movie hasn’t been made yet. That seems the obvious one considering the previous crossover in other mediums.

• Like 1

Anyone else watch 'Lords of Chaos'? I watched it at the Electric yesterday with a cinema full of metalheads, which was probably the best way to watch it (and reminded me that metal fans tend to be the friendliest, if also kind of simplest, music fans around IME). I knew quite a lot of the story already, but it's interesting enough to warrant a movie. Not completely sold on some of the director's decisions though, like the voiceover and the distinctly MTV-ish stylings of the first twenty minutes or so. Of course, it's another movie that makes you wonder whether you can ever enjoy the art without validating the artist. 

Watched Shazam on the weekend, probably the best DC movie i've seen so far, doesn't quite compare to good Marvel films but its a step up from the other DC movies.  A little kiddish and more of a family kinda film but nevertheless had some good jokes, enjoyed it.

13 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Anyone else watch 'Lords of Chaos'? I watched it at the Electric yesterday with a cinema full of metalheads, which was probably the best way to watch it (and reminded me that metal fans tend to be the friendliest, if also kind of simplest, music fans around IME). I knew quite a lot of the story already, but it's interesting enough to warrant a movie. Not completely sold on some of the director's decisions though, like the voiceover and the distinctly MTV-ish stylings of the first twenty minutes or so. Of course, it's another movie that makes you wonder whether you can ever enjoy the art without validating the artist. 

I kinda enjoyed it however the black metal community supposedly hate it as is such a dramatised version of events ( very much a "inspired by true events kinda thing") .

Interestingly, Varg is a you-tuber now. He is utterly obnoxious and racist but talks openly about what he did

19 hours ago, TheMelvillan said:

I kinda enjoyed it however the black metal community supposedly hate it as is such a dramatised version of events ( very much a "inspired by true events kinda thing") .

Interestingly, Varg is a you-tuber now. He is utterly obnoxious and racist but talks openly about what he did

Yeah, the iMDb page is full of angry metal fans claiming it's a farce, a distortion of the truth, etc, which, yeah, it's a movie. As far as I understand it, the events portrayed all actually happened, even if they didn't happen in the same way. 

I noticed that he was on YouTube, and I quite wanted to watch some of his videos, even if they are presumably ludicrous Nazi bollocks, but the thought of the YouTube algorithm filling my recommendations with Jordan Peterson and Yaxley-Lennon videos forever more put me off. 

• Like 1

Watched Shazam on Tuesday   ... It  might have just over taken Dude where's my car for showing the movies entire funny bits in the trailer  .. fair play to them as it kinda  suckered you into watching a rather bang average film

The funny moments were good tbf  , proper genuine lol moments , the little nod to "Big" in particular  but to much of it was just meh and it wasn't really a very good storyline

you'd think by now DC would admit defeat  , but I've no doubt the next 27 films are already on their way

Hellboy getting panned isn't a shock, though it is a shame. There's a lot of potential in the Hellboy universe and apparently Mignola was more involved which lead to increased hope it might be a good take on a more comic accurate Hellboy.

Unfortunately they made the reboot on the cheap and seem to have got misguided by chasing the 'R rated' fad :(

13 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

P_HO00006605.jpg

Very well put together horror/drama set in Ireland.

Beautifully shot and very well acted, and although it borrows many of it's themes from a fair few movies (there's bits of Borderlands, The Descent, Rosemary's Baby, Invasion of the Body Snatchers and The Sixth Sense) it still manages to tell a fresh, engaging story.

Recommended :thumb:

Added to the list. Cheers

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 1

Breakthrough   (1979)

When i saw that Richard Burton and Rod Steiger were the two big names in this film ,i expected a classic.Sadly,i found it very disappointing and did not enjoy it 

Jesus, even the YouTube and fanboy critics are absolutely eviscerating Hellboy. Literally the only praise for it seems to be a single scene with Baba Yaga.

I bet there's a cracking story to be had in the production of this. Every reviewer has noted the film appears to have been thrown together with barely any rhyme or reason, to the extent it barely makes any sense. Robbie Collin noted in his 5Live review that it's telling that Neil Marshall, the director, has been completely absent in any of the marketing campaign for it, with no interviews, no PR pieces, nothing. Either he has basically come in get paid, as a jobbing director there to film what is shoved in front of him to a tight budget and walk away once the footage is done, or the studio has meddled heavily and thrown together the film and Marshall has washed his hands of it.

It's also apparently tonally all over the place, with badly done jokes crashing into genuinely dark content from one scene to the next. And the CGI is hopeless. And the cast is bad. And the script is literally all exposition.

It appears the film is genuinely awful.

• Sad 1

Â