The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Downsizing last night  ... not a laugh out loud comedy but it does have a few good genuine  LOL moments

I suspect Guardian readers and Vegans will love it as it does carry a bit of a tree hugger message to it , but that love will probably be counter balanced by them being outraged by it's racism (it isn't ) others will find it just a tad too long .. in the end it delves into Hostiles territory of just being a tad too long and a tad too dull

I did kinda like it though ,so excuse me whilst I go off and find a tree to hug

Just watched ( for the hundredth time ) Dead Man's Shoes ,and it's still as riveting as the first time . For me it's up there with Get Carter and The Long Good Friday as one of the best British thrillers ,with stunning performances from both Paddy Considine and Toby Kebbell. As there ever been a more menacing character than Considines in a British movie ?

• Like 1

Talking of Paddy Considine I watched The World's End last night and was a bit disappointed.  It didn't have as many gags as Shaun of The Dead or Hot Fuzz.  It passed the time and I got into it during the second half, but it just didn't leave me laughing much.

18 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Talking of Paddy Considine I watched The World's End last night and was a bit disappointed.  It didn't have as many gags as Shaun of The Dead or Hot Fuzz.  It passed the time and I got into it during the second half, but it just didn't leave me laughing much.

Funnily enough I prefer the first half of it before the actions all kicks in. I liked them going from pub to pub just being miserable. It gets a bit lost after that. Pegg is a bit annoying in it, granted. 

Hot Fuzz is better, Shaun of the dead has lost something due to repetition.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Funnily enough I prefer the first half of it before the actions all kicks in. I liked them going from pub to pub just being miserable. It gets a bit lost after that. Pegg is a bit annoying in it, granted. 

Exactly the same. I thought it was really funny up until the bathroom scene. 

3 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

True, I'd have preferred the film to just be about a gang of mates reunited for a pub crawl.  I just didn't find it particularly funny so strangely the action scenes were the only thing that I found vaguely entertaining, even though they were ridiculous.

I personally love World's End and think it's a very funny film; not just the pub crawl plot but also the action/aliens storyline but each to their own. I agree that Hot Fuzz is the best of the trilogy though and that SOTD has lost something since first viewing.

Nick Frost is also surprisingly good in Into The Badlands and steals the second series.

2 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

I think Simon Pegg is about funny as Sunday school . And as for Nick Frost ,he should stick to celebrity Gogglebox .

You must have been to a funny Sunday school :P

• Haha 1

Coco - absolutely charming from Pixar, definitely one of it's better films - up there with Up and Inside Out.  Managed to enjoy it in spite of 4 year old kid kicking my seat, sneezing and making sick sounds with no attempt to cover his mouth and being left abandoned to roam the stairs, leaving me wondering how guilty would I feel at laughing if the bastard fell over

On nights at the mo so I catch all the weird late night films, last nights choice was a great little film starring Mark Ruffalo with Ethan Hawke called What Doesn’t Kill You. Modern day Boston street criminal/prison/family issues type film but a really well done one. 7/10. 

Edited by Ingram85

11 hours ago, sne said:

Hot Shots! on the telly.

Still one of the greatest movies ever made :D

Trump is Admiral Benson.. who is the greatest character ever created.. apart from maybe ace ventura...

Now go watch part deux!

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

On nights at the mo so I catch all the weird late night films, last nights choice was a great little film starring Mark Ruffalo with Ethan Hawke called What Doesn’t Kill You. Modern day Brooklyn street criminal/prison/family issues type film but a really well done one. 7/10. 

More like Boston street ,but yeah ,I concur ,a decent film .

I was thinking about some of the great lines ,that certain characters have uttered throughout the years I've been watching movies , you know ? The ones you hope you can repeat ,should you ever find the right scenario. I love Michael Caine's in Get Carter ,no, not the one to the fella who used to be in Coronation St ,but when he says to his niece , "keep away from boys" . What better advice could you give to a 14 yr ,old girl ? And you know, he ain't kidding .

Another one that's indelibly etched ,is delivered by the menacing Christopher Walken,character in True Romance ,who ,when introducing himself to the character played by Dennis Hopper ,in response to the question of who is he ,replies with the chilling words of , " I'm the anti - Christ ,and should you ever find me ,in a vendetta kind of mood ,you remember to tell the Angels in heaven ,that you never seen evil ,so singularly personified ,as on the face of the man who killed you" . For me ,Walken is the only actor who could deliver such a line without slipping into parody ,I suppose you have to give Tarintino is due for writing such great lines .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sheepyvillian said:

I was thinking about some of the great lines ,that certain characters have uttered throughout the years I've been watching movies , you know ? The ones you hope you can repeat ,should you ever find the right scenario. I love Michael Caine's in Get Carter ,no, not the one to the fella who used to be in Coronation St ,but when he says to his niece , "keep away from boys" . What better advice could you give to a 14 yr ,old girl ? And you know, he ain't kidding .

Another one that's indelibly etched ,is delivered by the menacing Christopher Walken,character in True Romance ,who ,when introducing himself to the character played by Dennis Hopper ,in response to the question of who is he ,replies with the chilling words of , " I'm the anti - Christ ,and should you ever find me ,in a vendetta kind of mood ,you remember to tell the Angels in heaven ,that you never seen evil ,so singularly personified ,as on the face of the man who killed you" . For me ,Walken is the only actor who could deliver such a line without slipping into parody ,I suppose you have to give Tarintino is due for writing such great lines .

Ok then - Any excuse to post the greatest scene in gangsta/pulp cinema history.

• Like 3

Â