The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

5 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

On to comedy:

• Wayne's World
  • Napoleon Dynamite

I like Wayne’s world (and wayne’s world 2).

Napoleon Dynamite, not fussed. Watched it once, wondered what the hype was about, never had the inclination to see it again.

Popular comedy film that I don’t really get? I wasn’t fussed about Ted. Also knocked up is waaaay to long and Leslie Mann is irritating.

Thor Ragnarok - I can see why the kids would like it.

It's colorful, shiny, a lot happens and lots of little funny(ish) bits thrown in . It doesn't take itself too serious.

2 h of mindless entertainment on a sunday afternoon when you don't want to use your brain or leave the sofa.

6/10 Would not bang more than once.

on unpopular opinions I find the Harry Potter series boring. I can see why people would like them but just doesnt do it for me. Harry himself is very whiny

and if its for kids then Rowling is a psychopath :P 

37 minutes ago, Zatman said:

on unpopular opinions I find the Harry Potter series boring. I can see why people would like them but just doesnt do it for me. Harry himself is very whiny

and if its for kids then Rowling is a psychopath :P 

Agree but I'd do J.K Rowling UTWU

I've seen a couple of films in the last couple of weeks. 

Darkest hour. Great film, a truly brilliant performance by oldman who will surely win awards. I wouldn't watch it a second time but that's no criticism of the film at all. Highly recommend giving it a watch.

Three billboards. Reminded me of my first visit to New york. I'd overhyped it before going and it was briliant but didn't live up to my expectations. It wasn't that I didn't enjoy every second, just that every person and review I saw was fantastic. The lead performance is amazing (this month I've seen hostiles, darkest hour and three billboards and in all three the lead actor is fantastic). It's a film that will leave you feeling genuinely uncomfortable at times, angry at others. Backed up by other brilliant performances by Sam Rockwell and woody harrelson in particular. I don't expect it to be the best film I see this year, probably not even this month (hostiles possibly edges it) but it will certainly go down as a modern classic for its originality, deservedly so. 

Spoiler

Have to agree with others that the sudden redemption of Rockwell's character left me feeling uncomfortable at the end. I can see why they did it, but I'm not sure it couldn't have taken a different direction. 

I'd also have liked them to develop the father a bit more. It might have taken away from the lead performance, but his character lacked the depth others did. 

And a lack of closure in the ending about who the killer was. For it to be the guy in the bar and for Rockwell and mcdormand to have taken justice into their own hands having realised the police wouldn't act might have been more fitting.

6 minutes ago, This Could Be Rotterdam said:

Darkest hour. Great film, a truly brilliant performance by oldman who will surely win awards. I wouldn't watch it a second time but that's no criticism of the film at all. Highly recommend giving it a watch.

I think the acting is brilliant but as a film it was quite boring. Unless essential Churchill fan its not something that would get much 2nd viewing

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

• Napoleon Dynamite

Remember seeing the trailer and hearing the premise and thinking what a load of crap. Have never ventured near it and have no inclination to do so.

Around the same time there was one called The Royal Tenenbaums. It’s really rated but I remember watching it and finding it so unfunny. All of us from our uni house just sat there thinking what the hell is this. Will never watch that again.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, This Could Be Rotterdam said:

I've seen a couple of films in the last couple of weeks. 

Three billboards. Reminded me of my first visit to New york. I'd overhyped it before going and it was briliant but didn't live up to my expectations. It wasn't that I didn't enjoy every second, just that every person and review I saw was fantastic. The lead performance is amazing (this month I've seen hostiles, darkest hour and three billboards and in all three the lead actor is fantastic). It's a film that will leave you feeling genuinely uncomfortable at times, angry at others. Backed up by other brilliant performances by Sam Rockwell and woody harrelson in particular. I don't expect it to be the best film I see this year, probably not even this month (hostiles possibly edges it) but it will certainly go down as a modern classic for its originality, deservedly so. 

Reveal hidden contents

Have to agree with others that the sudden redemption of Rockwell's character left me feeling uncomfortable at the end. I can see why they did it, but I'm not sure it couldn't have taken a different direction. 

I'd also have liked them to develop the father a bit more. It might have taken away from the lead performance, but his character lacked the depth others did. 

And a lack of closure in the ending about who the killer was. For it to be the guy in the bar and for Rockwell and mcdormand to have taken justice into their own hands having realised the police wouldn't act might have been more fitting.

I don't think there's anything redemptive about the ending! They're redirecting anger into potentially killing someone innocent of the central crime of the film, just because they're feeling helpless and consumed by unresolved anger!

1 hour ago, This Could Be Rotterdam said:

Hide contents

I disagree about this. I love an open ending where the viewer is allowed to finish the story themselves. Tying things up into neat little packages is a plague on the storytelling genre, both written and film

8 hours ago, Xela said:

Ok, movie confessions (for want of a better word) or unpopular opinions:

- I have never seen any of the Harry Potter / Pirates of the Caribbean / Hunger Games / Shrek / Hobbit movies and don't really have any desire to

- Avatar bored the shit out of me - couldn't make it to the end

- As discussed earlier, Godfather series is overrated. Its decent but not as good as it thinks. 

How about you guys?

I have never seen any of the following:

Godfather, Goodfellas, Pulp Fiction, Robocop, Dirty Dancing, Gladiator, A Clockwork Orange, Ghostbusters, Schindler’s List and One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest.

Tonight we watched ‘Side Effects’ on Netflix, which was a huge snorefest. I’ve got a theory that if it’s a Jude Law film, then it’s probably shite.

• Sad 1

Missed the start of Return of King on tv tonight so watched it through the internet. Accidentally clicked on the extended addition. Have to say I’m not a fan, the theatrical release is better. Some of the extra scenes just seem forced and you can see why they were cut. 

23 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

Godfather, Goodfellas, Pulp Fiction, Robocop, Dirty Dancing, Gladiator, A Clockwork Orange, Ghostbusters, Schindler’s List and One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest.

EEC6A900-6AF0-446F-AA7C-097BBB20AED5.gif

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rob182 said:

Are you by any chance Amish and currently out on your Rumshpringa? ;)

Bildresultat för king pin amish

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Xela said:

Ok, movie confessions (for want of a better word) or unpopular opinions:

- I have never seen any of the Harry Potter / Pirates of the Caribbean / Hunger Games / Shrek / Hobbit movies and don't really have any desire to

- Avatar bored the shit out of me - couldn't make it to the end

- As discussed earlier, Godfather series is overrated. Its decent but not as good as it thinks. 

How about you guys?

Only thing I've seen in your list is Shrek 1. I haven't seen or read any Harry Potter.

Avatar is terribly boring and stupid. Unobtanium?! FFS give me a break.

Edited by TheAuthority

7 hours ago, sne said:

Are you by any chance Amish and currently out on your Rumshpringa? ;)

Bildresultat för king pin amish

Haha no. I once put a similar list on Twitter and some guy came back asking me if not seeing these films is ‘my thing’ :huh:

I’d like to watch all of them (with the exception of Schindler’s List, which I probably ‘need’ to watch but don’t particularly want to), but whenever I mention to the wife that I’m going to put one of these on, she does the usual “I’ve already seen it, can we watch [insert generic romcom] instead?”

• Like 1

Another big thumbs up for 3 Billboards. Rockwell saw excellent. It would be my personal pick for Best Picture Oscar, although of course I don't know if I've seen the nominees until they're announced. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Rodders said:

Hide contents

I don't think there's anything redemptive about the ending! They're redirecting anger into potentially killing someone innocent of the central crime of the film, just because they're feeling helpless and consumed by unresolved anger!

Spoiler

Id have to disagree. Yes they are redirecting their anger. But throughout the film he is set up as someone to hate, an example of police brutality who chucks people out of windows. Beyond a sentence in the letter from Willoughby the reason he is that way isn't developed at all. And then we are expected to hope for him in getting the dna and solving the murder. Maybe it's less redemptive and more that he's damned, lost everything and this is his only chance less. I can see how it could be viewed that way but it certainly struck me and a couple others who've seen the film as redemptive. 

Either way, I really enjoyed it and would watch it again. I just think it suffers from the huge hype surrounding it and is flawed in several ways. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Missed the start of Return of King on tv tonight so watched it through the internet. Accidentally clicked on the extended addition. Have to say I’m not a fan, the theatrical release is better. Some of the extra scenes just seem forced and you can see why they were cut. 

:o

im the opposite, i think the theatrical release is near unwatchable because of the things that are missing

• Like 1

Â