The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

2 hours ago, Rodders said:

really? I lreally liked 3, and felt it would have benefited from more of Garcia's storyline in focus, I liked him :D  Obviously ,the huge black mark is Coppola's "acting". She madea wise choice to go behind the camera after that.

I've come to like Garcia over the years ,but for me ,he was trying a little too hard in GF3 ,probably the Pacino effect  . Things to do in Denver , now that's the Garcia I like ,good old Jimmy the Saint ,and another decent Garcia film , Internal Affairs ,which ,incidentally ,was also Richard Geres best performance ,due to him playing against type .

I tried to watch The Great Wall, but I couldn't see it through.

That has to be up there in contention as one of the worst pieces of crap ever made by human hands.

My question is, did anybody involved with this movie, at any time, ever at any point, asked themselves that they were OK with this?

• Like 1

Ok, movie confessions (for want of a better word) or unpopular opinions:

- I have never seen any of the Harry Potter / Pirates of the Caribbean / Hunger Games / Shrek / Hobbit movies and don't really have any desire to

- Avatar bored the shit out of me - couldn't make it to the end

- As discussed earlier, Godfather series is overrated. Its decent but not as good as it thinks. 

How about you guys?

Still haven’t seen Robocop :D  I also haven’t seen any of the Harry Potter/hobbit/pirates of the Caribbean films.

Boring sacred cows that need slaying?

2001: A space odyssey 

The magnificent seven

Easy rider (Jack is entertaining, to be fair)

Guilty pleasure - I know he has made some duff films (by his own admission,to be fair), but I’ll happily watch anything with John Cusack in.

Oh and because I know some people think this, Snatch is NOT better lock, stock.... it just isn’t.

Edited by Shropshire Lad

3 hours ago, Xela said:

- Avatar bored the shit out of me - couldn't make it to the end

Couldn’t agree more. Awful film and 3 hrs of my life I’ll never get back. No idea how it won Oscars and even worse how they are more of them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Xela said:

Ok, movie confessions (for want of a better word) or unpopular opinions:

Star Wars, Star Trek, Batman, Spiderman, Hobbit films, Potter films, Marvel, Disney etc., etc.,

These are all for children, I would no more choose to voluntarily watch one of these, than buy comics or go and play in a playground. The only time I've ever watched any of them, is when my children have wanted to see them.

Guardians of the Galaxy was a perfectly good example of this whole genre. Perfectly good kids movie. I enjoyed it. Just as, a few years ago, I would have enjoyed an episode of In The Night Garden or Peppa Pig. Great for the kids of that target age bracket. About the same level of depth. Do not kid yourself they are clever message movies hidden behind panto. They are just panto.

Batman. A kids movie with poor lighting.

3 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Guilty pleasure - I know he has made some duff films (by his own admission,to be fair), but I’ll happily watch anything with John Cusack in.

Same

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Films that men often seem to like, that I don't, part 1:

• Commando
  • Predator
  • John **** Wick

I like Predator, not seen John Wick.

Kinda with you on Commando. I only watched that for the first time recently. Never bothered with it before, but gave it a chance. Quickly realised why I’d not rushed to watch it. Arnie by numbers, for me. Not a bad film, just a seen it all before, OTT action film.

I’m surprised it’s generally considered one of his better efforts. I much prefer the running man which has an decent premise and a proper panto villain in Richard Dawson.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

I like Predator, not seen John Wick.

Kinda with you on Commando. I only watched that for the first time recently. Never bothered with it before, but gave it a chance. Quickly realised why I’d not rushed to watch it. Arnie by numbers, for me. Not a bad film, just a seen it all before, OTT action film.

I’m surprised it’s generally considered one of his better efforts. I much prefer the running man which has an decent premise and a proper panto villain in Richard Dawson.

Yes, The Running Man is excellent! A good example of how to do an action movie that's still based around an interesting premise and worth watching. See also: Total Recall. But Commando is an essentially plotless movie that seems to only exist as filling between quips. 

On to comedy:

• Wayne's World
  • Napoleon Dynamite
  • Like 1

Â