The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

29 minutes ago, Chindie said:

There's nothing wrong with comic book movies and they've generally been at least decent films. They're also quite diverse.

BvS isn't completely hopeless as a film. It's not good, but reaction has just been oneupmanship. Speaking of which...

Zach Snyder isn't an awful filmmaker. He has no imagination and a fascination with 'grim dark' stuff, but his films are more hit than miss. Mostly because he took good source material and copied it, but still. He also has a very distinct style which not many directors in his niche can claim. He'd be a really good cinematographer.

The Rock is one of the best action movies of the last 30 years.

Not in agreement with any of these . . . 

29 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Paul Greengrass singlehandedly sent action scenes back decades when his Bourne movies took off. Shakey cam sucks.

. . . but this is good and correct. Further controversial opinion: the Liman Bourne movie is much, much better than the others, and features one of the best car chases in recent cinema history. 

EDIT: Oops, I've never seen Batman vs Superman, skipped over that line. 

Edited by HanoiVillan

so much leeway being granted here  , where were you people When I stated No Country for old men was pants and  got crucified :) 

Bourne films were great and raised the bar and got us the Bond that Mike Myers could never parody instead of the camp Roger Moore Bond films

the Rock is at his best when not being an Action star .. i.e the under rated Gridiron Gang and the superb Ballers

26 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Not in agreement with any of these . . . 

. . . but this is good and correct. Further controversial opinion: the Liman Bourne movie is much, much better than the others, and features one of the best car chases in recent cinema history. 

EDIT: Oops, I've never seen Batman vs Superman, skipped over that line. 

It's cool to disagree with the first you've quoted :) although I can't see how anyone can disagree that they're diverse.

Snyder, looking at his filmography, has made 1 dreadful movie, 2 bad ones (and theres argument those aren't all bad), and everything else (5 movies) is at worst alright. It's hardly high praise and none of it is high art, but it's fine.

The Rock (the movie) is great and I'll hear no dissent.

I actually agree that the first Bourne is the best and it does have a great car chase. Ultimatum is the closest Greengrass gets and that still is hobbled by the horrendous shaky can.

4 hours ago, Chindie said:

'Controversial' movie opinions

Alien 3 is a decent movie, particularly the Assembly Cut

The Star Wars franchise isn't anything more than a generally decent sci fi romp, and only stands out for its design, which is usually fantastic across the series.

The Fountain is one of the most overlooked movies ever.

There's nothing wrong with comic book movies and they've generally been at least decent films. They're also quite diverse.

BvS isn't completely hopeless as a film. It's not good, but reaction has just been oneupmanship. Speaking of which...

Zach Snyder isn't an awful filmmaker. He has no imagination and a fascination with 'grim dark' stuff, but his films are more hit than miss. Mostly because he took good source material and copied it, but still. He also has a very distinct style which not many directors in his niche can claim. He'd be a really good cinematographer.

The Rock is one of the best action movies of the last 30 years.

Christopher Nolan is quite overrated. He's still a really good director, but his flaws are overlooked. Can't shoot action for toffee. Has a habit of adding in schmaltz whenever he tries to do emotion. Every film is incredibly cold.

Paul Greengrass singlehandedly sent action scenes back decades when his Bourne movies took off. Shakey cam sucks.

All YA dystopian life allegory movies are awful.

Arrival is a fantastic movie that kneecaps itself with a dreadful ending.

I can probably think of more.

The Rock ? Dreadful film ,absolute garbage performance from Horseface ,although Ed Harris , I like ,just a shame is in such a terrible film .I have exactly the same sentiment towards Face Off , another hyped up load of crap ,but hey ,it's just an opinion .

Yeah the first bourne is my favourite too. 

Spoiler

One of the reasons why I think it’s better is simply because Matt Damon has a sidekick in it, a reluctant partner to interact with throughout the movie. 

When I saw what happens to the Marie character at the start of supremacy, I knew it wasn’t going to be as good as it could’ve been.

I thought they were going to go back to the reluctant sidekick thing in Ultimatum with the Paddy Considine and Julia Stiles characters, but nope.

The Rock is daft fun. Everyone in it looks like they’re having a great time which I think helps. It needed more screen time for Claire Forlani though.

Nolan is very good, but overrated. For me that’s largely the fault of his fan boys who won’t hear a bad word about his films. He’s got a truly great film in him, I’m sure.

I generally like Wes Anderson films. I don’t treat them as proper comedies really, just quirky stories with offbeat characters. Tenenbaums, Rushmore and Grand Budapest being my favourites (Fiennes is brilliant, I did laugh out loud a fair bit due to him).

The only Anderson film that I really didn’t like was the life aquatic.

Edited by Shropshire Lad

5 hours ago, Chindie said:

It's cool to disagree with the first you've quoted :) although I can't see how anyone can disagree that they're diverse.

Snyder, looking at his filmography, has made 1 dreadful movie, 2 bad ones (and theres argument those aren't all bad), and everything else (5 movies) is at worst alright. It's hardly high praise and none of it is high art, but it's fine.

The Rock (the movie) is great and I'll hear no dissent.

I actually agree that the first Bourne is the best and it does have a great car chase. Ultimatum is the closest Greengrass gets and that still is hobbled by the horrendous shaky can.

Certainly agree that comic book movies are diverse, and I can understand that for a fan and someone knowledgeable like yourself these must be halcyon times, but I just don't get much out of them. However, opinions etc. 

On Snyder, I will admit that I have only seen two of his movies, but that's quite deliberate because they were both so bad. His Dawn of the Dead remake removed all of the political subtext and simply presented the story as a yahoo, guns-and-flags actioner. 300 was even worse, a dreary, ghastly looking movie that celebrated Spartans - surely the crappiest ancient civilisation - and seemed to be intent on demonising Persians just at the moment Bush the Younger's administration were openly musing about a war with Iran. It was ugly in look and sentiment and I've never wanted to see a movie of his since. 

The Rock is mildly entertaining, I'll give you that. 

10 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Certainly agree that comic book movies are diverse, and I can understand that for a fan and someone knowledgeable like yourself these must be halcyon times, but I just don't get much out of them. However, opinions etc. 

On Snyder, I will admit that I have only seen two of his movies, but that's quite deliberate because they were both so bad. His Dawn of the Dead remake removed all of the political subtext and simply presented the story as a yahoo, guns-and-flags actioner. 300 was even worse, a dreary, ghastly looking movie that celebrated Spartans - surely the crappiest ancient civilisation - and seemed to be intent on demonising Persians just at the moment Bush the Younger's administration were openly musing about a war with Iran. It was ugly in look and sentiment and I've never wanted to see a movie of his since. 

The Rock is mildly entertaining, I'll give you that. 

The thing with comic book movies is lots of movies that aren't immediately obviously based on comics, are. Road to Perdition, Old Boy, Atomic Blonde, obviously the superhero stuff... None of these are much like each other but all have comic basis. I enjoy the superhero aspect and I know a lot about them, but also looking at them as a film fan, most of them are fun action movies with spectacle, often good performances, and tend to be fairly satisfying imo. Not high art or worthy, but fine. And with some shit in there as per all genres.

Snyder... I believe his Dawn of the Dead is considered as a completely fine movie that simply isn't in the same league as the original. That doesn't mean it's bad. As for 300, it's (surprise!) based on Frank Miller's award winning graphic novel from the late 90s. And as Snyder does, he copies it nearly perfectly on screen. Miller is very well regarded in the comic world (he basically created the modern take on Daredevil, wrote one of the best Batman stories in the Dark Knight Returns, created Sin City... He's regarded as one of the most influential figures in the medium and beyond), although his political outlook often taints his work from the 2000s on too much, and he is right wing to a fault, but 300 is only demonising Persians in the context of Spartans telling an exaggerated story.  The film just slavishly copies it. I sing think it's a propaganda tool - believe me, there's with Snyder could have taken from Miller's catalogue on his later years that would work far better as warmongering propaganda.

I've had my fill of superhero movies by now to last a lifetime, but on comic book movies I did enjoy Snowpiercer even thou it might not be perfect.

First Sin City and The Crow movies are also pretty cool. as is Watchmen, sorta at least.

And I really liked A History of violence, thou I had no idea it was from a graphic novel at the time.

yep history of violence is a good film, viggo has a bit of an underrated track record since LOTR, eastern promises is an absolute gem of a film, appaloosa, the road, a dangerous method,  2 faces of January, captain fantastic all good enough films

• Like 3

1 hour ago, sharkyvilla said:

**** me the Steve Jobs film is insufferable 

I've never had the slightest inclination to watch it. There might be a decent story there but I'm sure there'll be lots of fawning over an averagely talented marketing exec.

11 hours ago, darrenm said:

I've never had the slightest inclination to watch it. There might be a decent story there but I'm sure there'll be lots of fawning over an averagely talented marketing exec.

It was just two hours of Steve Jobs being a dickhead.  I'm sure he was one but it was very tiresome to watch.

36 minutes ago, Chindie said:

First look at Brie Larson as Captain Marvel

DUaMYFrV4AAFUHb?format=jpg

Interesting take on her usual look. They've changed the colours.

marvel.jpg

Still kinda don't like Larson in the role :mellow:

Looks a bit cheesy to me

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Ikantcpell said:

The movies nowadays are all shit,bring back the 80s and the 90s.

I wonder if in 20 years time, all the 30-somethings will be feeling nostalgic for today's blockbusters?

Â