The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

7 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

I was thinking about some of the great lines ,that certain characters have uttered throughout the years I've been watching movies , you know ? The ones you hope you can repeat ,should you ever find the right scenario. I love Michael Caine's in Get Carter ,no, not the one to the fella who used to be in Coronation St ,but when he says to his niece , "keep away from boys" . What better advice could you give to a 14 yr ,old girl ? And you know, he ain't kidding .

Another one that's indelibly etched ,is delivered by the menacing Christopher Walken,character in True Romance ,who ,when introducing himself to the character played by Dennis Hopper ,in response to the question of who is he ,replies with the chilling words of , " I'm the anti - Christ ,and should you ever find me ,in a vendetta kind of mood ,you remember to tell the Angels in heaven ,that you never seen evil ,so singularly personified ,as on the face of the man who killed you" . For me ,Walken is the only actor who could deliver such a line without slipping into parody ,I suppose you have to give Tarintino is due for writing such great lines .

I like to drop in Bricktop's line from Snatch whenever somebody answers me with "of course".

"Of course **** of course. I wasn't asking, I was telling!"

Obviously you have to make sure you weren't asking. 
And this has probably happened twice in my life :D 

(oh and dude, the space goes AFTER the comma ;) )

Started to watch a knights/witches/plague movie that I hadn't seen for years, called Season of the Witch . A film that I remembered as pretty decent.

20 minutes in and it is absolutely god awful (as is usually the case when Nicholas Cage is in it) .

Then I realized I had confused it with another film called Black Death starring Sean Bean and Eddie Redmayne :)

Quickly switched it off and changed movie.

Black Death, still pretty decent for what it is.

Spoiler

Yes, as per usual Sean Beans character is killed...

Edited by sne

8 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I like to drop in Bricktop's line from Snatch whenever somebody answers me with "of course".

"Of course **** of course. I wasn't asking, I was telling!"

Obviously you have to make sure you weren't asking. 
And this has probably happened twice in my life :D 

(oh and dude, the space goes AFTER the comma ;)

It took me a couple of hours to work out what space you was on about ;) , out , but duly noted  .

On 28/01/2018 at 22:18, Ingram85 said:

On nights at the mo so I catch all the weird late night films, last nights choice was a great little film starring Mark Ruffalo with Ethan Hawke called What Doesn’t Kill You. Modern day Boston street criminal/prison/family issues type film but a really well done one. 7/10. 

Recorded this too - pleased to here it’s s worthy watch

10 hours ago, Chindie said:

Hmm not sure what I feel about that. The first one was decent because it was the light hearted side of the marvel films. However, a lot of the other films have now moved towards the comical side and therefore I don’t really see where this fits in the series, especially as it will be around the infinity wars stuff. Looks very gimmicky with the continuous shrinking and expanding. 

Watched Always Outgunned, Always outnumbered. It's an adaptation of a Walter Mosley novel, about an ex con, and his struggles to Integrate back into society. I forgot how good it was,with a great performance from Laurence Fishburne as the ex con Socrates. I happened to find it on you tube,well worth a view to anyone who likes a bit of social realism.

late to the party but I saw 3 Billboards the other night

Nothing to really dislike about the film , unless you really want to be that person and then you'll probably be offended by the Dwarf

Was quite powerful at times , then kinda went for the Hollywood sugar coated ruin it angle with to much forgiveness & redemption going on 

Frances McDormand was great , maybe Oscar worthy but tbf I haven't seen all the films / actresses she's up against  , but it was quite well acted all round really  , with the exception of Abbie Cornish

• Like 1

On 02/02/2018 at 12:27, tonyh29 said:

late to the party but I saw 3 Billboards the other night

Nothing to really dislike about the film , unless you really want to be that person and then you'll probably be offended by the Dwarf

Was quite powerful at times , then kinda went for the Hollywood sugar coated ruin it angle with to much forgiveness & redemption going on 

Frances McDormand was great , maybe Oscar worthy but tbf I haven't seen all the films / actresses she's up against  , but it was quite well acted all round really  , with the exception of Abbie Cornish

Just watched it now, at least 3 genuine laugh out loud moments. The scene with the priest being one of them. It’s unusual for such dark humour to have me so openly laughing. Good film IMO

• Like 2

Watched 'Split' on Sky last night. 

Thought it was really decent and I'm looking forward to the final film in the 'trilogy' 

One of M Night Shamalamadingdongs better efforts I thought. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wazzap24 said:

One of M Night Shamalamadingdongs better efforts I thought. 

I like the majority of films he has done but I think that puts me in the minority. 

1 hour ago, Xela said:

I like the majority of films he has done but I think that puts me in the minority. 

I thought The Sixth Sense, Unbreakable and Signs were great films. 

Went downhill after that imo. The Happening was 'meh', The Village was double 'meh' and I fell asleep about 30 mins into Lady In The Water and never went back to it. 

Haven't seen The Visit tbf, might give that a go. I haven't seen The Last Airbender either, but from the reviews I don't think I'll bother!

Split was really good though. I didn't realise it tied into Unbreakable until very recently. I wish I hadn't found out as that ending would've have been ace. 

Edited by wazzap24

1 hour ago, wazzap24 said:

Split was really good though. I didn't realise it tied into Unbreakable until very recently. I wish I hadn't found out as that ending would've have been ace. 

Trilogy I believe ...third film due in 2019

• Like 1

Â