The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Just watched infinity chamber my god 4 hours on I still don't even understand what the hell is going on. Poor

Watched it earlier myself. I thought it was ok personally, elements of Moon and Source Code there, at least it was trying to do something different. The ending let it down a bit but 6/10 from me.

Blade Runner fans terrified they might actually enjoy the sequel

Fans of 1982’s sci-fi masterpiece Blade Runner are understood to be ‘utterly terrified’ they might not be able to bitch about the sequel, according to reports today.

Fans of the classic film have been up in arms ever since the sequel was announced, saying that such an endeavor was ‘doomed to fail’ and ‘nothing but a cynical cash-grab’ – but positive and glowing early reviews have left them feeling betrayed by Hollywood.

“I feel empty and robbed,”  said long-time Blade Runner fan Robin Langridge.

“I’ve been waiting to loathe this sequel for more than half my life, and when they finally bring it to the screen it’s not a deluge of liquid cinematic turds sprayed through a high-pressure hose.

“It’s an outrage. At least George Lucas didn’t disappoint when he made the Star Wars prequels. Okay, he did disappoint. You know what I mean.

“Why couldn’t Hollywood learn from his example and make hollow spectacles bereft of artistic merit for us all to complain about for decades?

“It’s like they don’t care about what proper fans really want – never to be happy, and never to shut up about it. An eternity of miserable bitching.

“Mmmmmm, bitching.”

However, producers have pledged to listen to fans of the franchise and promised to release a new cut of the film with very, very slight changes every year for the next three decades in order to suck them as dry as possible.

• Like 3

Watched the Goonies remake last night , kinda worked how they replaced the bank robbers with a clown ...

I've not seen the original IT so don't know if the new film is a shot for shot remake or a whole new reimagining , but to be honest I liked it ... the yer mum type jokes and interplay with the kids bounced around quite well and it wasn't too over the top in the attempts to scare the bejebus out of you  .. so yep job well done  , lets see what Chapter 2 brings

1 hour ago, GarethRDR said:

Watched Blade Runner last night.

The hype is REAL.  :o

The big question is should you re watch the original first if you haven't seen it for 10+ years.

Edited by AVFCDAN

13 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I've never seen Blade Runner. Should I watch it? Or is it one of those when you basically had to be there at the time? And aren't there like dozens of different versions? If I should watch it, which one should I watch?

Yes watch it. Blu-Ray Final Cut. 

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 1

I'm biased as it's probably my favourite film of all time, but for me the original is absolutely timeless and totally worth a watch if you've never seen it.  We went to the anniversary screening of the original at the cinema a couple years back and it still holds it's sense of awe. 

The version that Ingram said, as well.

In terms of re-watching it before watching the new one, I didn't but then I've routinely watched it every couple of years.  It would probably help to give it a revisit if it's been a while.

18 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I've never seen Blade Runner. Should I watch it? Or is it one of those when you basically had to be there at the time? And aren't there like dozens of different versions? If I should watch it, which one should I watch?

I don't think it's aged well if you've never seen it.

One of the OH's biggest problems was she couldn't take it seriously as a futuristic setting when it looked so dated.

I don't think that's a problem for everyone, certainly I don't think I'd be bothered by that, but it probably is for some people.

In terms of version then the Final Cut is supposedly the best, although it's the only one I've ever actually seen so I can't really say.

But I would definitely give it a watch before the new one. It's only one film, and I think it's under 2 hours. So you may as well. It's not going to detract from the new one so you've got nothing to lose really.

It was made in the 80's!!!!!!!!

People who haven't got the imagination to get past older cg effects don't deserve to enjoy films. Is Jurassic Park suddenly rubbish because the first glimpse of the brachiosaurus in the field look a bit crap now? What about Harryhausen films?  Terminator? Indy? In fact, compared to the effects of fake Arnie head in T1 then Blade Runner is photo realistic. Grrrrrrr!!! :)

• Like 2

On 06/10/2017 at 12:23, Ingram85 said:

It was made in the 80's!!!!!!!!

People who haven't got the imagination to get past older cg effects don't deserve to enjoy films. Is Jurassic Park suddenly rubbish because the first glimpse of the brachiosaurus in the field look a bit crap now? What about Harryhausen films?  Terminator? Indy? In fact, compared to the effects of fake Arnie head in T1 then Blade Runner is photo realistic. Grrrrrrr!!! :)

I'm sure there are plenty of people on here who would never watch a black and white film. 

yeah not watching black and white films or subtitled films, is a phenomenally odd attitude to film watching. Basically excluding yourself from watching a mass of absolute classics from around the world

• Like 1

On 10/6/2017 at 19:51, Rugeley Villa said:

Three kings 

turned it off after 20 minutes. What a load of shite.

I thought it was ok... mind you been some years since I saw it so my memory may be playing tricks! 

Â