The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

2 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

Decent is very much a compliment. 

my thoughts exactly. I thought it was an awful film.

But as v4e has suggested, I've heard the Director's Cut is massively different, and improves it a lot!

9 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Forced the OH to watch the original BladeRunner. She hated it.

Tough shit love. We're going to see the new one.

May literally have this exact situation tonight...

...I'm considering whether it might be worth missing the pain and just watching the new one. I don't think she'll gain much from seeing the original and I don't think she'll like it either...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, hogso said:

Oh, the new Blade Runner is an easy sell to take the girly to at the flicks isn't it? Got Ryan Gosling in. 

That was literally it. 

"Gosling is in it"

"Ok then"

Comic book movie news!

Warner Bros have seemingly revealed exactly what they're playing at with their recent spate of seemingly incongruous announcements of DC movies - stuff like a Joker origin movie and Batman movie not clearly tied to the Justice League stuff and so on.

They seem to have decided they're going to kinda modern Star Wars it, and also not. There's a DC Film Universe where there's shared continuity but separate films (kinda how Rogue One is a 'Star Wars Story' in a wider Star Wars universe, it's not a sequel but is and isn't a prequel), and the films will not overlap that much, sorta how Wonder Woman features the same Wonder Woman and has links to the other movies but they're very tangential. But they're also going to do completely standalone stories which will be released under a separate banner, beginning with this (completely stupid) Joker origin story film.

On the one hand this obviously Warner realising they can't copy what Marvel are doing. They've tried and 4 films in they've given up, because seemingly they made a **** hash of it. Then Wonder Woman did well and has made them realise they can fudge it.

On the other... Marvel has kinda pushed this idea of continuity in movie franchises. It's really easy to grasp and people like it, when it works (which seems to be rare). How is it going to work in people's minds when they get a team up movie, then they get a movie with a different Batman in the same continuity but also not, and then they get a Joker origin movie that isn't the Joker they established 3 years earlier and also is completely unconnected to either of the Batmen currently going...?

This is going to be a **** mess. It barely works in comics, they do have weird one shot offshoot comics that establish very different basis of characters, but separate from continuity unless it's popular enough to nick (Old Man Logan...), but at least on the page you can tell it's its own thing easily.

Watched this:

Xxx_return_of_xander_cage_film_poster.jp

Awful movie. Neymar is in it which just screams of placing someone in there to appeal to a new market. His acting is more wooden than the Cuprinol Man. 

Only plus side was plenty of totty. 

So as expected the high tech version of Spider-Man in Homecoming wasn't really my thing.

Solid 6/10 Sunday afternoon bit of entertainment. Can see why kids would like it thou.

I watched "Gerald's Game" this morning. A new Netflix effort.

Meh. It was ok. Quite liked the concept but think it would have worked better as a short, or an episode in some sort of anthology. Or, actually, as a play. Given it's tiny cast and could probably all be set in one room.

Its hour and 40 running time was way too long.

I think if you surveyed Stephen King fans who have read the majority of his work, Gerald's Game would almost certainly be the least favourite overall. 

Castle Rock is due out next year, which is an anthology series based on his work and should be great. 

Marshland (La Isla Minima)

Really like that one, seemed like a fitting movie today.

Has more than a little True Detective feeling to it. Partly because of the setting and story, but also because Raul Arevalo who plays one of the cops is a dead ringer for Rust Cohle :D

Bildresultat för Raúl Arévalo marshland

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, sne said:

Marshland (La Isla Minima)

Really like that one, seemed like a fitting movie today.

Has more than a little True Detective feeling to it. Partly because of the setting and story, but also because Raul Arevalo who plays one of the cops is a dead ringer for Rust Colhe :D

Bildresultat för Raúl Arévalo marshland

Awesome film!

• Like 1

Â