The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

14 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

How many other movies are there where there are good non-English and English language versions? (This is not a rhetorical question, I'm interested in opinions here)

Reservoir Dogs?

The Magnificent Seven?

11 hours ago, Chindie said:

DJoToM3VoAAqLS1.jpg:large

I don't know what it is, but there's something not quite right about this somehow. Apart from it not being Perlman.

It almost feels like good cosplay.

9 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Took me a while, but I've worked it out. 

He's not symmetrical. Photoshop disaster. 

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 3

Saw IT last Sunday with three scoops of Baskin Robins ice cream. Rum & Raisin, Very Berry Strawberry and Cotton Candy. 9/10.

I enjoyed the film, but although I've never read that book, I have fond memories of the mini-series, even if a lot of you lot don't. I liked it. This modern make of Chapter 1 was pretty good, and agree that they made the most of traditional horror set pieces. I thought the most graphic moment was the slide show in the garage. I would have **** my pants.

What I didn't like so much was Ritchie... gobby little word removed with unfeasibly large Biggins glasses and totally un-necessary. And too many 'penis, vagina and you're mom's a whore with thrush' kind of trash talk. There's too much of it, even if we've all been young once and said similar things between friends ourselves. It got annoying after a while.

And WTF were the boys wearing before jumping off the cliff? This is supposed to be 1989, not 1899. They would have been wearing boxer shorts or tighty whities, not what at first glance looked like nappies, oversized undies. Jeezus, I guess that was a nod to the liberal beige army was it?  

I'm a big softie and admit that I nearly cried when Bill has his chat with Georgie before firing the bolt gun. :(

I preferred Curry's Pennywise. But that's just me... this Swedish guy looks sinister right off the bat.

Chapter 1 I would give 8/10 for what it was.

16 hours ago, Xela said:

Passengers

7/10

Not bad. Pratt and Lawrence are very likeable leads. 

I thought that film was okay, some very nice moments. The bar tender was very much like Lloyd from The Shining though. The similarity in behaviour and chatter and outfit is almost too much of an obvious nod to that character.

Random crew member waking up to give them access to the cockpit was not needed IMO. And the accusation of 'murder.' Calm down love...

6 hours ago, omariqy said:

Downloaded a film on Sky Go that I have been meaning to watch for a very long time but never have - Vanilla Sky.

Seems to be a love / hate film. 

I bloody love it! 

6 hours ago, Raver50032 said:

I thought that film was okay, some very nice moments. The bar tender was very much like Lloyd from The Shining though. The similarity in behaviour and chatter and outfit is almost too much of an obvious nod to that character.

Random crew member waking up to give them access to the cockpit was not needed IMO. And the accusation of 'murder.' Calm down love...

I'd have woken 3 or 4 women up. Could have had much more fun :D

• Like 1

On 9/14/2017 at 14:18, Raver50032 said:

Saw IT last Sunday with three scoops of Baskin Robins ice cream. Rum & Raisin, Very Berry Strawberry and Cotton Candy. 9/10.

I enjoyed the film, but although I've never read that book, I have fond memories of the mini-series, even if a lot of you lot don't. I liked it. This modern make of Chapter 1 was pretty good, and agree that they made the most of traditional horror set pieces. I thought the most graphic moment was the slide show in the garage. I would have **** my pants.

What I didn't like so much was Ritchie... gobby little word removed with unfeasibly large Biggins glasses and totally un-necessary. And too many 'penis, vagina and you're mom's a whore with thrush' kind of trash talk. There's too much of it, even if we've all been young once and said similar things between friends ourselves. It got annoying after a while.

And WTF were the boys wearing before jumping off the cliff? This is supposed to be 1989, not 1899. They would have been wearing boxer shorts or tighty whities, not what at first glance looked like nappies, oversized undies. Jeezus, I guess that was a nod to the liberal beige army was it?  

I'm a big softie and admit that I nearly cried when Bill has his chat with Georgie before firing the bolt gun. :(

I preferred Curry's Pennywise. But that's just me... this Swedish guy looks sinister right off the bat.

Chapter 1 I would give 8/10 for what it was.

Richie was very much as Richie should have been, yeah they updated him but I thought he was played really well, the only thing that bothered me was that they sacrificed Stan, Mike and to an extent Ben in order to gain an affinity towards Bill, Beverley and Richie.

This version of pennywise was more true to the book, Curry's version of pennywise was playful and not at all threatening, I think Skarsgard nailed it to be honest.

I agree an 8/10 is fair, it was good for what it was and it satisfied both the book and miniseries fans and whilst it wasn't scary it did the job.

I'm looking forward to second one, they will either need to go completely off tangent or expand on the deadlights and the ritual of chud, there were a few nods to Maturin so they may go there, I think it is pretty damn doubtful though.

• Like 1

Quite enjoyed Bleed For This, the true story of boxer Vinny Pazienza who suffered a broken neck in a car crash requiring him to wear a halo for six months and told he wouldn't box again. 

Such self belief, determination and utter stubbornness got him back in the ring. 

Pretty good viewing. 

Â