The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Bleed for this - thought it wasn't pretty good, not as good as say the fighter but still enjoyable

straight out of Compton - watched it for a second time after really enjoying it at the cinema, this time I felt like some of the scenes were force done and added on to tickle the bollocks of the audience, all the stuff with snoop and 2pac could have been left out, the final "aftermath" scene I hated first time round and wasn't any better, I think they could have explored the race aspect further rather than making it a drama about heller, that's obviously the story dre and ice cube wanted to tell, wonder if producers from the outside looking in would have made a film more focused on their social impact, still a good film though

Taika Waititi is rumoured to be in the running for the seemingly ever doomed live action Akira remake.

I'd have a decent stake that, if that movie ever gets made, he won't direct it. I'd have a little flutter on it not being made at all in the next 10 years in truth.

Kingsmen golden circle tonight

a few decent gags but on the whole it was a steaming pile of pooh .... they tried too hard and it failed spectacularly , shame really as it had potential to be a good series 

I don't know what I'd rather see a serious live action attempt at - Akira or Evangelion. I'm a massive Eva nerd, but any adaptation, feature length or series, of the Akira manga (i.e. not the spliced 90 minute anime movie) would be a real dream come true.

It's incredible really that one of the big anime production houses have never done it - perhaps there are issues with that I'm not aware of.

7 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Kingsmen golden circle tonight

a few decent gags but on the whole it was a steaming pile of pooh .... they tried too hard and it failed spectacularly , shame really as it had potential to be a good series 

I've never seen either Kingsmen movie, but there's something about the concept, or the trailers or I don't know what, that makes me hate it.

Any time I see the trailer I cringe, but I don't know why!

• Like 1

Good film week so far. Partner introduces me to The Thing which was fun, and I reciprocated with Rear Window. It had been while since seeing the latter and I forgot just how good that film is at building tension.

Planning on doing Kingsman 2 this weekend but concerned about all the rubbish reviews :/

41 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I've never seen either Kingsmen movie, but there's something about the concept, or the trailers or I don't know what, that makes me hate it.

Any time I see the trailer I cringe, but I don't know why!

It's your subconscious comic book movie sense ;)

For what it's worth the first one at least is a cocky satire of Bond movies mixed with different takes on British culture and some mild commentary on celebrity/social media/technology obsession with loads of over the top violence and some crass humour. It's pretty good.

14 minutes ago, Chindie said:

It's your subconscious comic book movie sense ;)

For what it's worth the first one at least is a cocky satire of Bond movies mixed with different takes on British culture and some mild commentary on celebrity/social media/technology obsession with loads of over the top violence and some crass humour. It's pretty good.

Is it a comic book movie?

I genuinely didn't know that if it was :D

Yeah the first one looks fine, and the reception was good. It's just one of those movies that I'm turned off by and have absolutely no basis for why!

I bet if I watched it I'd like it.

9 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Is it a comic book movie?

I genuinely didn't know that if it was :D

Yeah the first one looks fine, and the reception was good. It's just one of those movies that I'm turned off by and have absolutely no basis for why!

I bet if I watched it I'd like it.

It is. It's based on Mark Millar's The Secret Service comic, which explains why it's so over the top.

It genuinely is good though. It doesn't have an amazing plot but the action is good and its pretty funny in parts, and it tends not to hold back very much in the violence stakes. It also ends with a gag that either will make you dislike the whole thing or snigger.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Chindie said:

It is. It's based on Mark Millar's The Secret Service comic, which explains why it's so over the top.

It genuinely is good though. It doesn't have an amazing plot but the action is good and its pretty funny in parts, and it tends not to hold back very much in the violence stakes. It also ends with a gag that either will make you dislike the whole thing or snigger.

and CH4 have finally seen sense and added it back in (the other week when it was on) having previously cut the scene out

@Stevo985 ... it's kinda exactly as Chindie says , but this fight scene is just pure cinema magic , in an OTT way  , :) even the music just fits the scene ...

the sequel ..it just doesn't work for me , it lacks the charm of the first film , tries to hard , even the fight scenes are like one of those annoying youtube pranksters who want to be Dom Joly , but aren't Dom Joly and are just irritating

The thing that ruins any scare factor with IT is:

How completely and utterly incompetent he is.  He's a shapeshifter with numerous abilities and he manages to kill two people in the whole film  whilst getting battered by a bunch of kids

Also, I've never read the book but what's up with all the kids he's ever killed floating in the sewers?  I thought he ate his victims?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

That 'joke' at the end of the first film is repellent misogynist bullshit, and by all accounts is matched by another similar scene in the sequel (I haven't seen it, and don't plan on doing so). 

Hateful. 

it's a woman giving a part of her anatomy freely  ,  if anything it's empowering for women  .. we've moved on from Goldfinger where Bond in effect cures a lesbian by forcing himself on her 

Â