The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Watched three really good films on the plane the other day.

I, Daniel Blake was fantastic, very powerful and I think I had something in my eye a few times throughout. 

Moonlight started slowly but from the second act on I thought it was excellent, deserving of the hype.

Finally, Fargo; brilliant. Not sure how I haven't seen it before as it's the kind of film I love. Will give the Netflix series a watch when I get home now.

• Like 2

On 5/30/2017 at 05:07, choffer said:

Manchester by the Sea. I'm watching cartoons for the rest of the week to cheer me up.

I shut it off after the first 15 minutes.

Saw "Dunkirk" tonight. The trend with war movies/series over the last 20 years or so has been shocking, graphic violence, with heads exploding and close ups of battlefield amputations, etc. Dunkirk is hopefully a start of a new trend away from that level of gore. This is a war movie you can take your 12 year old son to, IMO. It's a great film, and an unlikely aspect of the war for a big budget film to be about, but Nolan pulls it off, and with some finesse. Lush photography, excellent score and great acting. One of the best films I've seen in a while. It isn't trying to be an epic, either, it's almost a small film in a way. It's also under 2 hours :thumb:.

Edited by maqroll
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, maqroll said:

Yes I watched 20 minutes and gave up. Couldn't get into it. Might watch it again though just for Michele Williams. But cant stand  Casey afleck or his brother so that's an immediate turnoff for me. 

Edited by PaulC

25 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Yes I watched 20 minutes and gave up. Couldn't get into it. Might watch it again though just for Michele Williams. But cant stand  Casey afleck or his brother so that's an immediate turnoff for me. 

4 hours ago, maqroll said:

wellwhatelsewhereyouexpecting-seriously_

• Like 4

Watched Lost in Translation again the other night. A true 10/10 film for me and one my top 5 of all time list.

Everything about it is perfect. 

Lost_in_Translation_poster.jpg

Edited by Xela
  • Like 3

Dr Strange. 

7.5/10 - one of the more enjoyable comic book movies I have seen 

220px-Doctor_Strange_poster.jpg

Edited by Xela
  • Like 4

Dunkirk tonight, at the IMAX.

Hmm.

It's... I dunno. There's fabulous technical stuff it. It's shot, in the main, spectacularly, making use of wide shots and a knack of spotting iconic images in even the mundane. It has that Nolan look, cold precise cinematography, matter of fact and beautiful. That beauty in confident functionality, like IKEA furniture. Nothing flashy, no flourishes, as is the Nolan style. The soundtrack is like the film's percussion section, constantly driving under every scene. And sound generally is superb, gunshots have real thump, Stuka bombers embody terror. There's not  a bad performance in sight.

But... The concept doesn't work. It's another Nolan film obsessed with time and does what it thinks is very clever by telling the story of Dunkirk by splitting it in 3 representing different aspects of the evacuation over different time periods - a week, a day, an hour, land, sea, air. In doing so it presents us with 3 perspectives, a soldier trying to escape, a civilian sailor called to help, an airman. We are dropped into these stories, characters are largely nameless, dialogue is lacking, characters aren't built, stories aren't made. We're given ciphers, viewpoints to experience aspects of Dunkirk. But then it also tries to build little stories into these viewpoints which seem almost superfluous. I ultimately found myself completely unengaged with these stories. They are half stories, with half developed characters dropped into a film that just wants to make an epic of the story of Dunkirk

The timelines have other issues. There's a muddied sense of time moving. You watch knowing the beach is a week long story, the sea a day, the air an hour, but you feel the entire thing is over in a couple of days at most. Perhaps even 24 hours. And the inevitable cross over of the plots mean you can spoil events you've not seen yet if you're observant. Rather than being embroiled in the story you'll be sat there going 'that's that thing, so they obviously manage that...'.

It's like cold like a lot Nolan's work, and I wonder how it plays to an audience that is unfamiliar of what Dunkirk was. The film obviously aims for reverence of Dunkirk, as is unsurprising, but a lot of the emotion comes imo from prior knowledge of the retreat. Without that there's little to grasp with it, you don't have developed characters to invest in to live vicariously through. There aren't hooks to get into your soul with it, to drag you through it.

As said... I dunno with this. There's so much to praise it for. And it is a spectacular piece. But it's also not satisfying.

See it, but adjust your sights -this isn't a game changer of war movies. Worth sung in IMAX, or failing that somewhere with very good audio, the sound design is awesome.

• Like 1

@Chindie I see where you're coming from with a lot of that. I found that the visual and audio tour de force was so powerful that I didn't need character development.

5 hours ago, Chindie said:

And the inevitable cross over of the plots mean you can spoil events you've not seen yet if you're observant

I think that's the idea. It's Nolan's little wink to the audience. Just to give verification that 'yes, the timelines are crossing and yes, you've seen something that hasn't happened yet in the other timeline'.

• Like 1

Watched Legend recently for the first time..wow what a film. Tom Hardy just oozes class in his portrayal of the Kray Twins. Need to watch more Tom Hardy films me thinks.

Watched Alien Covenant last night too, another solid film, great follow up to Prometheus.

6 hours ago, darrenm said:

@Chindie I see where you're coming from with a lot of that. I found that the visual and audio tour de force was so powerful that I didn't need character development.

I think that's the idea. It's Nolan's little wink to the audience. Just to give verification that 'yes, the timelines are crossing and yes, you've seen something that hasn't happened yet in the other timeline'.

I thought that cross-over was intentional and very obvious. All about providing perspectives. I thought the characters were fine, essentially most of the film happens in "real" time, not much room for character development, not that the film needed it in my view. 

6 hours ago, darrenm said:

Eh, I guess I wanted more from it. I went in not expecting much story but then it gives us 3 first draft stories with occasionally odd focuses and it ends caught between 2 stools - either wanting to tell stories that tell the story of Dunkirk from 3 perspectives, or simply tell the story of Dunkirk and individual stories are not the point and effectively the thing is a dramatised reenactment. So you get weird tangents like the event on the boat. You don't care, it does exceptionally little, and is this bizarre offshoot of the film that otherwise just seems to want to point at the screen and say 'this was Dunkirk. Look.'.

The obvious convergence is definitely intentional, but they do further rob the story of intrigue or interest. A tense moment is hamstrung by the fact 10 minutes ago a conspicuously coloured boat appeared in the future of the story as it comes to a close for instance.

I can't deny the brilliance of a lot of the technical aspects, but the writing... It's become obsessed with it's concept and everything else was slaughtered at that alter. There could have been a **** astounding movie here. Instead we got a good but flawed one made by exceptionally skilled filmmakers.

2 hours ago, supermon said:

Watched Legend recently for the first time..wow what a film. Tom Hardy just oozes class in his portrayal of the Kray Twins. Need to watch more Tom Hardy films me thinks.

"What is that?" 

"What do you think poof? it's a f*****g tool"

"No it's not, it's a rolling pin. Who are you? Fanny Craddock? What you gonna do with that? bake me a cake? Sing me a song? Watch me blow out my f*****g candles? 

"I come here for a f*****g shootout right. A proper shootout, with some proper men. Like Col. Custer and Geronimo, have you ever heard of them? No, cos you were too busy in your pinny, baking f******g fairy cakes! :crylaugh:

• Like 1

I watched a film called Misconduct the other night as it had a decent cast in it with Al Pacino and Anthony Hopkins but **** me was it a load of terrible shite.  It had just about every textbook Hollywood twist in it, it was laughable.

37 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I watched a film called Misconduct the other night as it had a decent cast in it with Al Pacino and Anthony Hopkins but **** me was it a load of terrible shite.  It had just about every textbook Hollywood twist in it, it was laughable.

I always read a few reviews before I watch a film, from trusted sources.  That **** scores 7% on rotten tomatoes!!

Â