The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

13 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I have a lot of admiration for Angelina Jolie, not least because of how brave she was in coming out and stating she had that faulty gene and she had a double mastectomy . I think she is not only beautiful like her mother but is a very good actress. Yes Girls Interupted,, Changeling, A mighty heart. also Unbroken was a very good film that she directed. 

from memory i thought it was very average and wasted some great source material

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

it did sound to me like people who consider themselves film nerds and appreciate the visuals and apparently the incredible sound will love it whereas people who want to see guts and glory wont, none of the characters have fleshed out stories, theres hardly any dialogue

Nolan's stuff is always coldly technically fantastic (apart from he can't shoot an action scene well for toffee), meaning his movies are usually great spectacles. His style also feels like he borrows and modernises from the epics of the 50s and 60s, which plays well as few people do it now. But to one degree or another they all have story flaws. He can't do emotion very well. When he tries it comes across as sickly sentimental. Etc. He tends to have cold characters as a result who aren't terribly memorable in the main.

Here I believe he supposed to have pointedly tried not to tell the stories of individuals at Dunkirk, but to tell the story of Dunkirk from different viewpoints. Which is carte blanche to do what he good at and ignore the rest.

I'm looking forward to it.

4 minutes ago, Chindie said:

but to tell the story of Dunkirk from different viewpoints. Which is carte blanche to do what he good at and ignore the rest.

Let's hope it's not filled with continuity abortions like that scene in TDK.  Because let's face it, a movie like Dunkirk could have them all over the place.

42 minutes ago, BOF said:

Let's hope it's not filled with continuity abortions like that scene in TDK.  Because let's face it, a movie like Dunkirk could have them all over the place.

Yeah I can't take that scene out of my head when I think about his direction these days. From the first time I saw TDK I felt there was something wrong with that scene, and that analysis completely nailed what it is.

I'm hopeful time and more flexibility perhaps with this film, let's him avoid it. But as you say, if he makes the same mistakes, this could be a mess. A lot of scenes here are going to rely on you subconsciously understanding space, direction, objects in tension l relation to each other... Ugh.

SpiderBoy tonight 

went in with low expectations of same old same old ... and it sorta was , however they made it into a very enjoyable and funny in places film , enough to make you forget the recent Andy Murray reboot and enough to earn it a top 3 spot of all the Marvel stuff thats saturated the screens of late ( deadpool and Gardians 1 taking the top 2 spots )

Loses a point though for throwing a bloody Ramones song into the soundtrack 

trailer for Thor looked fun also , laughed more than I should have at the "he's a friend from work  " line 

• Like 1

Del Toro's new film. The Shape of Water

Looks nice as per usual.

Haven't really heard about this movie but from the trailer it almost seem like a Hellboy prequel about Abe Sapien?

• Like 1

Warner Bros goodwill asset Wonder Woman seems to have lasted about a month. It's SDCC  at the mo, which means comic movie news and rumours.

Today's rumours??

Ben Affleck is likely to be replaced as Batman before Matt Reeves solo movie. Reeves fancies a trilogy (of course he does) and Affleck has slowly had his efforts in the movie stripped back (binned as director, full scratch rewrite bung his script...). With Affleck getting on and having his own troubles, they'll likely let him go post Justice League and build the trilogy with someone else, but how they plan on doing that when they've already established Batman in this universe as an older man I've no idea.

And mentioning Justice League...

Snyder obviously left the film earlier this year citing family problems (which turned out to be the suicide of his young daughter), with Joss Whedon stepping in to finish the post production. This week, Snyder completely purged the movie from his Twitter history. And now rumour has it the reshoots Whedon is doing are going to be enormous. It's not a huge leap to suggest Whedon has basically cast off Snyder's movie and is going to try to make his own thing with a lot of patching it up.

If that film isn't a complete mess, I'll be astonished. 

Oh and they also revealed (via the medium of action figures!) the villain formally. Steppenwolf (no not that one), for whatever reason they choose him, looks dreadful. There's only 1 reason they do a Justice League movie and don't do Darkseid as the villain, and that's because you want him as the villain for the sequel. But there might not be a sequel now. 

I've no idea how Warner Bros **** this up so badly.

31 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Partly filmed in Brum...

That looks great.

I've read the book. I don't think the book is actually that good, BUT I do think it could make a very very good movie. It's one of those where I could imagine the film as I was reading it.

Â