The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Dunkirk

went to see it in imax, maybe the loudest film I've ever seen, if senior speilbergo was trying to shock your eyes Nolan definitely went for you ears, I can't remember a film that uses sound / music so well, its masterful and the highlight of the film, it's got some beautiful shots, lots of harrowing shots without violence, thought the dog fight scenes were great, all the cast were fine, surprised how many lines styles got, think they actually covered many facets of the characters without any depth or fleshing out and there were a couple of subtle nods to the bigger story

my only real issue with it was the time stuff, not that it bothered me or that I thought it didn't work, probably the opposite, if you took it away how much a film is there? It's only 90mins long anyway, if it was told in a linear fashion with no repetition there isn't enough to it for it to work 

William H Macey has just released a film called The Layover starring Alexandra D'addario and Kate Upton

Whats the plot you ask? Who cares, it stars Alexandra D'addario and Kate Upton. It could be a silent movie about the history of the colour beige and I would watch it.

Thank you Mr Macey

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/5/2017 at 00:19, 8pints said:

Has anyone seen 'Notes on Blindness'?

It's on Netflix at the moment.

I'd highly recommend it,  I found it fascinating.

Yeah i've seen it. It is definitely fascinating. And tragic.

• Like 1

On miss d'addario, she was in one part of the weekend double bill of rubbish-but-entertaining films - San Andreas, which followed White House Down

Both are absolutely ridiculous, but in fairness they were much needed shots of silliness, though the CGI in the former was pretty rubbish and the girl kid in the latter was so annoying I wanted the terrorist to shoot her

2 hours ago, Rodders said:

On miss d'addario, she was in one part of the weekend double bill of rubbish-but-entertaining films - San Andreas, which followed White House Down

Both are absolutely ridiculous, but in fairness they were much needed shots of silliness, though the CGI in the former was pretty rubbish and the girl kid in the latter was so annoying I wanted the terrorist to shoot her

lucky sod

6 hours ago, Rodders said:

Christ that's a double bill of absolute sh*t.

Could have spent that time watching 2 much better films.

On 8/7/2017 at 20:37, AVFCDAN said:

Christ that's a double bill of absolute sh*t.

Could have spent that time watching 2 much better films.

Don't worry, tonight I watched Volcano :D

I do have some actual good films lined up but we've decided to binge on disaster films this week. May even watch the gargantuan rubbish that is 2012 later on 

Dunkirk tonight 

the warning signs were there with all the hype and I was a bit under whelmed if I'm honest 

it wasn't saving private ryan  enough because it wasn't a war film that Nolan was making i get that  , but it was a bit all over the place and a bit detached ,   its not a bad film don't get me wrong and  I kinda enjoyed it but it was ,well a bit dull if I'm honest ..

You have those lazy Sunday afternoons where you watch a war film for the n'th time ,  films that even though you've seen them countless times and even though you missed the first 30 mins you still sit there watching .... I don't think in 30 years time you'll be sitting down watching Dunkirk on ITV2 for the 30th time , you'll fall asleep instead 

Dunkirk is very stylized (sorry, @tonyh29). Some of the sequences were shot intentionally as dreamlike, IMO, so that might explain what you mean by "dull", but to me, it was brilliant. And like you say, not really a traditional war movie, so he had more license to do what he wanted to do. I absolutely loved the blurry blood stains instead of gore and splatter. I liked all his choices in this one, including the sparse score.

War of Planet of the Apes. It's good. A bit slower paced than the other two and they have added a little comic value in As well. But it works and is a good watch.

Couple of minor criticisms:

Spoiler

1. At the end when Ceaser died, Roxket would've been next to him as well as Maurice.

2. No need to have Maurice talk, he'd always been a smart ape, but part of his character was that he just signed.

3. How come "donkey"could speak perfectly when he hasn't spoke before, or if so very little.

4. Where did Winter come from, hadn't been in the first two, and an Albino Gorilla doesn't just appear from no where 

5 hours ago, maqroll said:

Dunkirk is very stylized (sorry, @tonyh29). Some of the sequences were shot intentionally as dreamlike, IMO, so that might explain what you mean by "dull", but to me, it was brilliant. And like you say, not really a traditional war movie, so he had more license to do what he wanted to do. I absolutely loved the blurry blood stains instead of gore and splatter. I liked all his choices in this one, including the sparse score.

Yeah I agree it was beautifully shot and the score was great , it's a perfect film in that regard , I just think it was a case of style over substance ... a lot of people were fidgeting in their seats , at a typical film you might get one or 2 people that (annoyingly) leave to go for a wee or get a drink ... but it was in double digits yesterday , I'd listen to the sound of a spitfire engine  all day long but I guess a lot of people want a bit more than that ....

Edited by tonyh29

13 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Yeah I agree it was beautifully shot and the score was great , it's a perfect film in that regard , I just think it was a case of style over substance ... a lot of people were fidgeting in their seats , at a typical film you might get one or 2 people that (annoyingly) leave to go for a wee or get a drink ... but it was in double digits yesterday , I'd listen to the sound of a spitfire engine  all day long but I guess a lot of people want a bit more than that ....

I thought it was non-stop action myself.

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Same. It absolutely flew by for me. I couldn't even guess how long it was. I have no idea.

really short

like i said you take out the time element and just show the film in a normal chronological fashion and its about 70 minutes long, i thought the repeated stuff added about 20 minutes, without the time element its not really much of a film

Â