The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

The Keep

Early 80's Michael Mann horror about cross dimension Carpathian golems, demi gods, Nazis and an excellent 80's synth soundtrack. Great cast too. You can tell it should have been 3 hours plus as some things just inexplicably happen out of nowhere with no build up but on the whole its actually really bloody good. Surprised its rated so low on IMDb and the like, I really enjoyed it. 

7/10.

Dunkirk was intense. The score for once was effective and not annoying. From the word go to the end you barely have any time to relax as you're thrown right into and follow all the soldiers intimately through the experience.  I don't get criticism about characters. They were all good and engaging. Mercifully there is no one lead performer,  though  the boy who comes closest to that role is very good too.

Up there with all good powerful war movies, without needing the gore shots to make its point.

• Like 2

Few bits from SDCC's Marvel panel.

Captain Marvel will be set in the 1990s and features the Skrulls as villains. Concept art has them looking very very comic accurate. Which is surprising because the Skrulls were supposedly tied up with the F4 rights. Will also feature Nick Fury pre-eyepatch. Some speculation that the Skrulls might form the threat after Thanos ala Secret Invasion.

Black Panther was also shown with some new footage. Apparently the action shown was incredible. Serkis's Klaw will have his mechanical arm, and as expected T'Challa will get a new suit. There's been a few promo shots of a new suit and I can't say it looks better than the first one. Looks slightly too daft.

Ant-Man and the Wasp had cast updates, most notably Michelle Pfeiffer will be playing Janet van Dyne, the original Wasp who Michael Douglas' Hank Pym lost in the back story to the first film, and Laurence Fishburne is playing Bill Foster, aka Goliath (best known for dying via Thor robot through the chest in Civil War and being buried with heavy construction equipment).

They also showed a clip of Thor Ragnarok in which Thor is being brought to the Grandmaster in what was described almost like a weird parody of the world of imagination scene from Willy Wonka, with the history of the planet he's on and who the Grandmaster is.

The Infinity War footage was shown again and some (dreadful) versions have leaked online. I wouldn't bother seeking these out, they're awful and you can't see much at all so it spoils the spectacle, but do seem to suggest the descriptions last week were pretty accurate. Saying that the (Homecoming spoilers)

Spoiler

Advanced suit Stark offered Peter at the end of Homecoming 

can **** off.

Good panel all in all.

9 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

The lost city of Z.... save yourself a couple of hours.

Just to balance this comment - I really enjoyed it. A great tale of Victorian adventure and derring-do.

Dunkirk is very meh for me. Characters arent memorable, actors are too good looking and clean for a war and its a poor plot. Think also a waste of some really good actors

Definite the most stylishly shot war movie I have seen and probably another reason why it didnt appeal to me. another miss from Nolan after Interstellar and 2nd half of Dark Knight Rises

11 hours ago, Zatman said:

Dunkirk is very meh for me. Characters arent memorable, actors are too good looking and clean for a war and its a poor plot. Think also a waste of some really good actors

Definite the most stylishly shot war movie I have seen and probably another reason why it didnt appeal to me. another miss from Nolan after Interstellar and 2nd half of Dark Knight Rises

u wot m8?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

Late to the party on this one but Alien Covenant...............why?

It was pretty much a Michael Fassbender wank fest.

Now I like him to a point but he can't carry the whole film by playing 2 leads.

He's no Jean-Claude Van Damme after all.

Have to say I like the flawed Prometheus better, even thou it killed the chance to get to see a Del Toro At the mountains of Madness movie any time soon.

War of Planet of the Apes: Lazy and cliched, where they re-used the same story and assets as the second one. Nice of humans to go completely stupid and let the apes take over the Pacific Northwest! #8, where the apes invade the middle-east is sure to be a cracker. Though #5, where the apes have to deal with deep south should have some wonderful political overtones, and how do Apes eat barbecue with all that hair? 

Guardians of the Galaxy too: They pretty much phoned this in. Such a disappointment after the fun nature of the first one. Does everyone in Hollywood have a completely screwed up family life?

Yay! Yet more comic book movies where one can never, ever, tell how the movie will end, so exciting...

The Justice League reshoots, which Ray Fisher lied through his teeth about at the weekend, are supposedly costing Warner 25m. But also is causing some fun. Henry Cavill is filming Mission Impossible 6 at the moment so he has to jump back and forth between productions. Better though... He's had to grow a moustache. Which he's not allowed to shave. Meaning he's filming loads of scenes as Superman with a 'tache. They're having to digitally remove the moustache.

• Like 1

Â