The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

The girl with all the gifts

solid British zombie film, avoided the more traditional zombie route, pretty much a rip off of the last of us with a bit of I am legend thrown in, they tidied brum up nice for some bits of it ;) 

and if you're doing x number of films a year I think if you're a member on IMDB you can set up lists and what have you so you can track how many you've watched

• Like 1

Really love  the coen brothers films and rate then highly. 

Watched Hail, Caesar! last night and whilst it was typically witty, sharp and well made it didn't captivate me as much as their previous offerings. 

I cant knock anyone's performances as everyone was really good (particularly the all too brief cameo by Frances mcdormand) 

it was good but not up to their usual standard in my opinion

Edited by theboyangel

7 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Saw "Lion" on Friday.

Really really liked it. Dev Patel was excellent and it was one of the most emotional films I've seen in a very long time.

Despite Patel's performance and the rest of the film being great, the first half an hour or so is a sequence where the child (Patel as a child) gets lost and it absolutely steals the show imo. Proper heartbreaking stuff.

My only criticism would be the middle part of the film drags a bit. It's still good but I think it just went on a bit too long hammering home it's message.

Not a film I'd have chosen straight away but very glad I went. Worth a watch.

I remember reading an article about the story and I thought at the time, it would made a cracking film, if done properly. Sounds like they have done it justice

1 hour ago, theboyangel said:

Really love  the coen brothers films and rate then highly.

Hate to say, I'm not a fan of them. Never have been

No Country and Big Lebowski are the ones I like. 

19 minutes ago, Xela said:

Love the big lebowski but my fave is millers crossing. 

Worth a go xela if you haven't seen it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, theboyangel said:

Love the big lebowski but my fave is millers crossing. 

Worth a go xela if you haven't seen it. 

Man who wasn't there is still my favourite. 

I love most of their output though tbh. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BOF said:

Given that he also did Idiocracy which is another stone cold cult classic (and becoming more relevant as the years go by), I really think Mike Judge needs to make more movies.

watch Silicon Valley ;) 

3 hours ago, Xela said:

Hot and cold for me.

When they nail it they absolutely nail it. NCFOM and O Brother Where Art Thou are two of my favourite films.

But some of their films are just big misses. Funnily enough the misses for me are films that others absolutely love. Miller's Crossing and Big Lebowski for example.

I watched Christine, the story of Christine Chubbuck, played by Rebecca Hall. About an American tv reporter who feels isolated,put down and suffers depression, about to turn 30 and still a virgin, man she loves moving away, it all comes to a dramatic conclusion. A very authentic 70s feel about the movie and brilliant performance by Rebecca Hall. 7/10

Having enjoyed the skin I live in, I decided to watch Talk to Her  by Almodovar too - lot's of recommendations, but what am I missing? I thought it was awful. very unsympathetic characters - and the film seems to consider the committing of a particularly reviling act as no bother. Christ. 

1 hour ago, Rodders said:

Having enjoyed the skin I live in, I decided to watch Talk to Her  by Almodovar too - lot's of recommendations, but what am I missing? I thought it was awful. very unsympathetic characters - and the film seems to consider the committing of a particularly reviling act as no bother. Christ. 

Fantastic movie imo.

Different strokes and all that.

Trainspotting 2 is surprisingly good. And if nothing else reminds you that Jonny Lee Miller has had a weaker career than he probably deserves, and Brenner and Carlyle could have made more of themselves.

My top 100 
MV5BMTU2MzcyODgyNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTc4MDYwOQ@@._V1._SY209_CR0,0,140,209_.jpg
Mud

• Like 3

Lincoln

Watched it a couple of days ago, and re-watched it last night. What a film. DD Lewis basically IS Lincoln. It's fascinating. Nothing much happens in the way of action, but it is intriguing from a political aspect, and is so well acted by all involved.

10/10 WB

Denis Villeneuve (Incendies, Prisoners, Sicario, Arrival, Blade Runner 2049) is to direct the Dune reboot for Legendary Pictures. Huge potential, unclear if it's going to be one film, a series, or a film version of the first book followed by the rest if it does well. Ridiculously hard film to cast too.

On 1/30/2017 at 11:36, Davkaus said:

My goal this year is to have watched every flm in the IMDB top 100 (not including oens I've already seen).

I have to get through 76 out of the 100, which is considerably more than I expected. I might make an exception for the Godfather, because I tried to watch that bollocks a few years ago and I don't think I can sit through it again. :P 

I've just had a look, I haven't seen 77 of them. To be fair, I haven't even heard of about 30 of them.

EDIT. Hang on, I'm not sure I've been looking at the right list.

Edited by Paddywhack

Â