The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

3 minutes ago, BOF said:

If someone didn't understand Arrival then I assume they also needed help finding their way into the cinema.

I think some people struggled with

Spoiler

the fact that the "flashbacks" about her daughter were actually in the future, which meant she knew that if she had a daughter she would die young but still made the decision to have her.

Not for one second saying you did, but I'm certain that's an issue some people have had.

Just now, Stevo985 said:

I think some people struggled with

Hide contents

the fact that the "flashbacks" about her daughter were actually in the future, which meant she knew that if she had a daughter she would die young but still made the decision to have her.

Not for one second saying you did, but I'm certain that's an issue some people have had.

Yep there are other levels too re-

Spoiler

the entire world having to work together for the betterment of mankind etc.

But it just wasn't entertaining, which is ultimately what a film should be on some level, unless it's trying to be a documentary or the like.  In fact the elements that you and I mention (in my example HOW it came about) kind of jumped the shark if anything, even within the context of a sci-fi movie.

The one thing I will say is that Adams was very good in it though.

2 minutes ago, BOF said:

Yep there are other levels too re-

Reveal hidden contents

the entire world having to work together for the betterment of mankind etc.

But it just wasn't entertaining, which is ultimately what a film should be on some level, unless it's trying to be a documentary or the like.  In fact the elements that you and I mention (in my example HOW it came about) kind of jumped the shark if anything, even within the context of a sci-fi movie.

The one thing I will say is that Adams was very good in it though.

Fair enough, each to their own.

I found it riveting from start to finish.

My goal this year is to have watched every flm in the IMDB top 100 (not including oens I've already seen).

I have to get through 76 out of the 100, which is considerably more than I expected. I might make an exception for the Godfather, because I tried to watch that bollocks a few years ago and I don't think I can sit through it again. :P 

3 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

My goal this year is to have watched every flm in the IMDB top 100 (not including oens I've already seen).

I have to get through 76 out of the 100, which is considerably more than I expected. I might make an exception for the Godfather, because I tried to watch that bollocks a few years ago and I don't think I can sit through it again. :P 

And the ones that'll enter it this year :trollface: 

7 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I'm trying for 365 movies this year.

Can't do one a day due to holidays etc which would make it unrealistic, but I did 342 last year so I figure I can probably manage the extra few.

23 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Can't do one a day due to holidays etc which would make it unrealistic, but I did 342 last year so I figure I can probably manage the extra few.

Do you have a specific list of films you want to see or just see what's out each week and pick from there?

6 minutes ago, Mozzavfc said:

Do you have a specific list of films you want to see or just see what's out each week and pick from there?

I kind of have a (long) list of things I want to see, which i'm forever adding to. The majority of them tend to be things i've missed/overlooked in the past rather than new releases.

There's a ridiculous amount of great movies out there, so with a bit of research there's no excuse to watch rubbish (although that does happen from time to time because of cinema being so subjective).

Edited by Designer1

1 hour ago, BOF said:

I really like Patel.  Always comes across as a likeable chap.  Whether it's the roles he picks or the way he plays them.  I suspect a bit of both.

Are we giving him a free pass on Chappie then? Not necessarily his fault but one of the worst movies of the last 5 years.

3 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

Are we giving him a free pass on Chappie then? Not necessarily his fault but one of the worst movies of the last 5 years.

I haven't seen it :)

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

Glad somebody else thought the Godfather was shit. 

2 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

If you value his portfolio I wouldn't bother, :D

I won't.  It's hard enough trying to avoid shit films without intentionally choosing to watch one.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chindie said:

I liked Arrival more than you, but can appreciate the thoughts.

I hope you understood it though, or They'll come for you. I definitely understood it, and thought the ending was shit. I liked it beforehand.

It's OK to admit you didn't quite understand the concept at first. It was very nuanced. Easy to miss.

3 hours ago, BOF said:

I'd just like to say that 'Arrival' was boring shit and I don't know what some of you saw in it.  I kept waiting for something where I could say "Ah that's why they think it's good", and it never came.  8.2 on IMDb as well ?

I tend to find that my own thoughts on a film match ratings on Rotten Tomatoes more than IMDB. Arrival though, was superb (IMO). If ever I'm that far away from general consensus it's usually because I watched the film in the wrong setting, mood, frame of mind, expectation etc.

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

Glad somebody else thought the Godfather was shit. 

Add me to the list.

Boring.

And Godfather 2 was even more boring. When I thought it was ending and then it said "Insert Disc 2" I nearly cried.

I'll retry it as it's a good 10 years since I watched it. But I didn't enjoy it,

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Designer1 said:

I'm going for 100.

I've got an Unlimited card now so the other half and I are aiming for at least a film a week at the cinema.

Then I have an ever growing list of previous releases that I need to watch so I'll watch one off there a week too.

That'll be the 100.

Just now, darrenm said:

I tend to find that my own thoughts on a film match ratings on Rotten Tomatoes more than IMDB. Arrival though, was superb (IMO). If ever I'm that far away from general consensus it's usually because I watched the film in the wrong setting, mood, frame of mind, expectation etc.

No I was in a good mood, and well able to watch slow movies and thoroughly enjoy them.  Some of my favourites are very slow indeed (There Will Be Blood, for example).  And I certainly wasn't suggesting that IMDb is the ratings be-all and end-all because I've enjoyed some very low-ranked movies on there.  But when you go up around the 8.2 mark for non-fanboi stuff then it's usually a fairly safe gauge.  Maybe I'm exaggerating.  Maybe I should've said shit boring instead of boring shit :)  Classic case of expectation spectacularly not being met.

Â