The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Technically not a film but worth watching if you are a BTTF fan. Its available on Netflix

Gravitas-Ventures-Acquires-Back-In-Time

Watched it last night on this recommendation. Excellent watch. Great to see a lot of MJF.

• Like 1

Watched Trainwreck last night, thought it was good to be fair. I had never heard of or seen Amy Schumer before but she was decent I thought, funny and emotional where necessary.

The good thing with Appatow rom/coms is that they always feel current, Knocked Up kind of changed the genre and it feels like Trainwreck does it again, in a genre that is very stale and clichéd at least his films feel fresh and current. I thought the scenes with Lebron were hilarious at times. 7.5/10

Also watched House of Wax last night and its a bit of a guilty pleasure. I remember seeing it about 3-4 years ago and liking it then. There's nothing particularly noteworthy but you get the scares in the right places and there's some freaky stuff going on. Paris Hilton gets a massive stake through the head, what more do you want? 7/10

Edited by AVFCDAN

One of the best documentaries I've seen in a long while. Informative (at least for me), inspiring yet heartbreaking. What a life.

large_What-Happened-Miss-Simone-poster_z

That looks ace. I'm reminded about one of my favourite parts of the 20,000 Days on Earth (Nick Cave film), when Cave and Warren Ellis are talking about Nina Simone playing a gig they organised.

Edited by dAVe80
  • Like 1

It is very good. Then again, she's not someone I knew an awful lot about before watching. I am obviously familiar with her music but had never occasion to investigate her story. It's a little bit broad-brush, but I guess it's always going to be when trying to cram such a long career into 90 minutes. Compelling stuff though.

Spectre was - fine. It ticked off the list of Bond films without ever being amazing really. Halfway through I got a sense of "you know, I think I'm done with Bond." There were a couple of jarring scenes - particularly the seduction of the widow - was so random, and the plot was a bit incoherent really, I wanted more of the sub plot, than I did of Bond's own personal story mark two - it felt like a post script to Skyfall, definitely had a sense of that's it game's over about the storyline as well - possibly why I felt that way watching it. Has the humour and good set pieces, but it just felt tired - yes big bangs, a chase etc and nods to the history but still an inescapable sense of this guy is from the past, and we ought to acknowledge that and say toodle pip in a grandstanding finale - which is kinda what Skyfall was about as well.

Entertaining, but for the first time I just felt fatigued by it - I cannot see where another film with this cast goes. If it does carry on I'd expect a complete reboot in like 5-6 years time or so.

Edited by Rodders
  • Like 1

Just watched a movie called 'Bone Tomahawk' with Kurt Russell, I'd highly recommend it, a couple of the scenes near the end of the movie were shockingly brilliant.

Ooooo - That's high on my list, been waiting for that for a while.

Where did you manage to see it?

Just watched a movie called 'Bone Tomahawk' with Kurt Russell, I'd highly recommend it, a couple of the scenes near the end of the movie were shockingly brilliant.

Mate of mine also well up on his films recently posted about it "best Western in f**king ages and one of the movies of the year".

I'll send you a link on the ps4 mate, can stream it in hd. ;)

• Like 1

for me he just plays the same role over and over again. Seems to lack range

I have only seem him in thee films so think he played the same role in Django and Inglorious but totally different in Carnage. In those two films though I thought he was superb.

for me he just plays the same role over and over again. Seems to lack range

I have only seem him in thee films so think he played the same role in Django and Inglorious but totally different in Carnage. In those two films though I thought he was superb.

He was excellent in Carnage. That bloody phone of his :D

• Like 1

Spectre was - fine. It ticked off the list of Bond films without ever being amazing really. Halfway through I got a sense of "you know, I think I'm done with Bond." There were a couple of jarring scenes - particularly the seduction of the widow - was so random, and the plot was a bit incoherent really, I wanted more of the sub plot, than I did of Bond's own personal story mark two - it felt like a post script to Skyfall, definitely had a sense of that's it game's over about the storyline as well - possibly why I felt that way watching it. Has the humour and good set pieces, but it just felt tired - yes big bangs, a chase etc and nods to the history but still an inescapable sense of this guy is from the past, and we ought to acknowledge that and say toodle pip in a grandstanding finale - which is kinda what Skyfall was about as well.

Entertaining, but for the first time I just felt fatigued by it - I cannot see where another film with this cast goes. If it does carry on I'd expect a complete reboot in like 5-6 years time or so.

Agree with all this. Particularly the bolded, was sitting there thinking what is even happening here during that scene, it was just seemed so stupid and cringeworthy.

Agree with all this. Particularly the bolded, was sitting there thinking what is even happening here during that scene, it was just seemed so stupid and cringeworthy.

I believe it was to get the location of the secret meeting was it not ?

plus he did save her life , the least she could do is for him is give him a little reward

• Like 1

Just endured the French film 'Martyrs'. Very good but a tough watch.

Yes I watched it about 6 months ago.. Think its the most gruesome horror i have seen. But I thought it was very good too.

Edited by PaulC

Spectre was pretty good, it would be weird if it's Craig's last film the way they left it with the villain, but then continuity between films has always been a bit ropey for obvious reasons.  The action scenes were probably the best I've seen in Bond and it was funny in places, the story tied up the previous few films together quite nicely.  7/10 I reckon.

Â