The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

People actually want the Fantastic Four rights?

Marvel want all their rights back. The reason why they'd particularly want the F4 rights is they gave away loads of associated rights with them, which means they can't use whole swathes of their established canon. They can't use 2 of their biggest villains, they can't use a whole race of aliens that have been in loads of plotlines, etc etc. The actual F4 isn't what will interest most people, though Marvel will take some pride in getting their 'first family' back and they'll use them. They don't add much to the current roster as it stands, but having Dr Doom back does. And post Infinity War they might be a bigger deal.

FF are an odd one for me.

They're seen as somewhat of a 'red headed step child' by many Marvel fanatics but i've always been a fan of them. I certainly think there's the scope for a decent movie in there and I had high hopes (given the director and the cast) for the latest incarnation but my lord was it dismal.

I'm not a fan really. I think the issue is there's never been a defining F4 storyline, and as characters they're often a bit bland. The archetypes they explore are relocated by other characters and there's rarely a problem that can't be solved by another character who is more interesting. Hence in big events in the comics they're forever supporting cast - Reed Richards in Civil War for example is little more than a scientist and could have been replaced by anyone really and the story doesn't alter.The best things about them have always been their villains.

But theres nothing to say you couldn't make a good movie with them. Fox just consistently **** up.

Saying that, I'd love Marvel to bring in some of their more obscure characters to either the big or small screen. I want an Ellis type Moon Knight damnit.

The first F4 was awful and felt like tv movie. I didn't watch the sequel.  I was quite looking forward to the most recent version when I saw the cast but I fell asleep after watching 30 minutes and never watched it again.

People actually want the Fantastic Four rights?

Marvel want all their rights back. The reason why they'd particularly want the F4 rights is they gave away loads of associated rights with them, which means they can't use whole swathes of their established canon. They can't use 2 of their biggest villains, they can't use a whole race of aliens that have been in loads of plotlines, etc etc. The actual F4 isn't what will interest most people, though Marvel will take some pride in getting their 'first family' back and they'll use them. They don't add much to the current roster as it stands, but having Dr Doom back does. And post Infinity War they might be a bigger deal.

FF are an odd one for me.

They're seen as somewhat of a 'red headed step child' by many Marvel fanatics but i've always been a fan of them. I certainly think there's the scope for a decent movie in there and I had high hopes (given the director and the cast) for the latest incarnation but my lord was it dismal.

I'm not a fan really. I think the issue is there's never been a defining F4 storyline, and as characters they're often a bit bland. The archetypes they explore are relocated by other characters and there's rarely a problem that can't be solved by another character who is more interesting. Hence in big events in the comics they're forever supporting cast - Reed Richards in Civil War for example is little more than a scientist and could have been replaced by anyone really and the story doesn't alter.The best things about them have always been their villains.

But theres nothing to say you couldn't make a good movie with them. Fox just consistently **** up.

Saying that, I'd love Marvel to bring in some of their more obscure characters to either the big or small screen. I want an Ellis type Moon Knight damnit.

my favourite story arc from civil war is the FF one, will be a big miss from the film

Just re watched Guardians of the Galaxy. What a great film...

Now I'm no marvel buff, but I have a theory on Quills father (apparently the director has said the film isn't going to follow the comics).

I think it's Thanos, not only would this show how quill has different powers and can survive the infinity stone. It would also follow the lines of GOTG being the modern day Star Wars, in that despite the sexual tension between Quill and Gamorra they are actually related ( in this case purely because Thanos brought up Gamorra).

Enjoyed Crimson Peak.

A beautiful looking movie, with plenty of the usual GDT touches.

Cast excellent, particularly Jessica Chastain who is on top form.

Not in the same bracket quality wise as Devils Backbone or Pans Labyrinth (not much is) but way, way better than the disappointing Pacific Rim. 

• Like 1

So last night I watch 'The Fault in Our Stars'.

I had to blow my nose a few times and wipe away some popcorn dust that had got into my eye.

Very well made film about two young couples dealing with cancer. It can get a bit American at times but keeps a lid on it when it wants to. Also a cameo from Willem Dafoe, who seems to pop up in the weirdest films.

• Like 1

Crimson Peak was definitely worth watching. Chastain is superb, some classic horror tropes and del Toro colour. I do love gothic horror done with a style other than than the fad for some dank blue/grey filter that consumes certain films. Was jumping out the seat  with the tense anticipation at times.

Edited by Rodders
  • Like 1

Â