The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Can You Ever Forgive Me? - with Melissa McCarthy and Richard E Grant is thoroughly entertaining. For someone who's allergic to alcohol, the latter really does know how to do drunk well :D

Funny and empathetic to both leads, it is also a world away from what one might associate with MM as well.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

'Burning' is really really good, though too long. 

It's a Korean movie, directed by Lee Chang-dong, in which a distinctly dopey guy from the countryside who is making a half-hearted effort at becoming a writer meets a girl he used to know when in the city one day, and then he fairly blatantly falls in love with her. She leaves him to feed her cat, which he does (but never sees it) while she goes on a trip to Nairobi, and when she comes back she's accompanied by a very dashing chap with a Porsche and a very nice apartment who seems to have stepped in from a Bret Easton Ellis novel (could be any of them). Then they hang out together for a while, with some fairly complicated but largely unspoken sexual dynamics between them, and then she goes missing and the whole thing gets even more serpentine and doesn't give many answers. 

The performances are great, and there's one extended scene at the dopey guy's farm where all three characters are together on one very complicated dope-and-confession-filled evening with a spectacular sunset that will live long in the memory. 

Give it a go, but be fully forewarned about the length. It also has nearly as many false endings as the last 'Lord of the Rings'. 

Aye, beautifully elusive although I admit to some research afterwards to clear things up!

Shoplifters is another great film if you're after something thoughtful.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Hornso said:

What Men Want is about as bad as the 4.2 IMDB rating suggests.

Hadn’t heard of this film until seeing this post. My immediate reaction was a not entirely serious “what’s that about, a shit remake of ‘what women want’ but with the roles reversed?”. 

Yes, apparently that is exactly the film’s premise. 

• Haha 2

Watched Green Book on Monday. Enjoyable film, would recommend.

Based on the true story and friendship of Dr. Don Shirley and Tony Lip.

Shirley is an African-American musician who is about to embark on a concert tour of the Deep South in 1962.

Shirley needs a driver and protection and so he hires Tony Lip. Lip is an Italian-American bouncer from the Bronx.

Despite their differences the two men bond unexpectedly while confronting racism and danger in an era of segregation.

The two men remained friends until dying within months of each other in 2013.

For shame watched Alita battle angel yesterday ( was the only film that worked time wise )

Tbf I doubt I’m it’s target audience and ok it’s not terrible but how did Christopher Waltz’s shining star fall so far so quickly 

its geared up for a second and maybe third film ... probably best they don’t 

only saw the 2D version , the 3D is supposed to be quite special but  meh 3D

48 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

For shame watched Alita battle angel yesterday ( was the only film that worked time wise )

Tbf I doubt I’m it’s target audience and ok it’s not terrible but how did Christopher Waltz’s shining star fall so far so quickly 

its geared up for a second and maybe third film ... probably best they don’t 

only saw the 2D version , the 3D is supposed to be quite special but  meh 3D

I saw this last week and being a big fan of anime historically I was pleasantly surprised by this and enjoyed it. Certainly the best example of anime to live-action but we are not near marvel level yet.

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

how did Christopher Waltz’s shining star fall so far so quickly 

throwing it out there...apart from the 2 tarantino films has he done anything good?

horrible bosses 2 was ok (but not a patch on 1) so was big eyes but his CV is nothing special

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

throwing it out there...apart from the 2 tarantino films has he done anything good?

horrible bosses 2 was ok (but not a patch on 1) so was big eyes but his CV is nothing special

Have heard decent things about “Carnage” but not seen it myself.

Maybe he’s one of those actors who makes a career from regularly being the best thing in average films. Like John Cusack, another actor I really like but even he would admit his films are often substandard.

16 hours ago, villa4europe said:

I thought he was good in The Zero Theorem but apart from that and the Tarantino films....not really.

16 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Have heard decent things about “Carnage” but not seen it myself.

Maybe he’s one of those actors who makes a career from regularly being the best thing in average films. Like John Cusack, another actor I really like but even he would admit his films are often substandard.

Saw Carnage last week.  Top film.  

• Like 1

Watched The Hurricane last night ..Denzel as good as ever

Interesting film cause you watch it and think how can such a miscarriage of justice take place  and Carter retain such dignity ..

until you read the real events and find in all likelihood he did commit the shootings and was a violent and troubled man 

the curse of the internet , life was so much simpler when you watched an inspirational film and didn't have easy access to fact check it 30 seconds afterwards

4 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Bond 25 production title is Shatterhand

Going through a last minute script rewrite, together with the rushed schedule, it's going to be a **** mess. It's definitely getting pushed back again and there's part of me that'll be surprised if Fukunaga actually sticks with it to the death.

3 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Watched The Hurricane last night ..Denzel as good as ever

Interesting film cause you watch it and think how can such a miscarriage of justice take place  and Carter retain such dignity ..

until you read the real events and find in all likelihood he did commit the shootings and was a violent and troubled man 

the curse of the internet , life was so much simpler when you watched an inspirational film and didn't have easy access to fact check it 30 seconds afterwards

I’m listening to the BBC podcast about it at the moment (worth a listen, called Hurricane) tapes). Once that has finished I’m onto the film, then I’m doing likewise and exploring the internet about him. 

33 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Going through a last minute script rewrite, together with the rushed schedule, it's going to be a **** mess. It's definitely getting pushed back again and there's part of me that'll be surprised if Fukunaga actually sticks with it to the death.

Didn't Quantum of Solace have similar trouble?  That turned out a steaming pile of dogturd.  It's weird, I think Craig has been a decent Bond but his films have been below par.

Â