The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Hostilezzzzzzzz tonight

ok bit harsh it was a decent film just a bit of a slow burner ... loses points for trying too hard to be Oscar bait but Bale is as good as ever .... there was a scene near the end where a character gets shot and there were a few murmurs of “awwww no” in the audience at the cinema I was at , guess that’s testimony to how the film sorta drew you into the characters with its story telling 

• Like 1

Angels One Five  (1952)

I enjoy watching British war films made around the 1950s and 1960s .This was no exception .One of my favourite actors Jack Hawkins starred in this one 

• Like 1

Just watched Man With The Iron Heart.  A bit average really, I really liked HHHH the book it's based on, but the beauty of that was the style it was written in which they obviously couldn't pull off in a film.  In terms of showing the story of Heydrich's assassination I preferred Anthropoid.

'Three Billboards' feels to me like it answers the question 'is it possible for a film to be great, off the back of not much more than a great central performance?' and that sadly the answer is 'no'. It's good, but no more than that. McDormand is excellent, and will no doubt be rewarded for it, and rightly so. It's just a really well-written, well-acted part for an actress on top of her game. But the rest of the film doesn't live up to it. Particularly problematic is 

Spoiler

the story arc of one character who is, at the start, we are told, guilty of extremely serious violent crimes, which are treated with a wholly unwarranted comic touch. Said comic treatment doesn't even make sense on the film's terms, when it spends the rest of its running time treating the Theme of Violence with Deep Seriousness. Yet this character then goes on an entirely unbelievable redemption story arc. 

The film also starts meandering some time in its second act, and it's clear that the brilliant central conceit doesn't have much else to back it up. A decent way to pass the time, but I think no-one will remember the film for anything other than McDormand in the future. 

• Like 1

Â