The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

On 03/01/2018 at 02:02, sne said:

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri.

Very solid film, Rockwell excellent as usual.

7/10 WB

I liked the look of this movie. I saw the trailer when I went to see the Florida project. 

11 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Yep, mad how they made a tweak to the genre and yet both films are masterpieces

And then they manage to continually screw the pooch on dreadful sequels (and latterly ‘prequels’) not to mention the vs predator spin-offs. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, leemond2008 said:

My Dad has just watched life he said "best alien film I have ever seen"

I enjoyed it but bloody hell that's a bit much

As in, any film with an alien in? Covers a lot of ground. 

I might go Star Trek II 

I have just spoke to him about this, he said something along the lines of 'it was great because it was shit about aliens, it didn't do anything but entertain me, I can't be arsed with all these space time continuums, I just want to enjoy a film'

I think the whole 'best alien film ever' was a throw away comment, I think he meant in recent years, I get the feeling he was comparing it to things like Arrival (which I thought was a cracking film) and not Alien as in the original xenomorph, or the thing etc

7 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Alien: Covenant - a beautiful turd. Bins the mildly interesting stuff from Prometheus and smashes it into a rubbish version of Alien. Has some awful dialogue, really oddly bad CGI, some bizarre laugh out loud inappropriately moments... Technically little is wrong with it, like every Ridley Scott movie looks great mostly, and there's actually a good performance or 2 in there, but wow... The script is dreadful. It also kinda confirms that the more the Alien story is elaborated on, as began in Prometheus, the less satisfying it is. That or the decisions being made in developing that story are universally bad. Says everything that the film resolves most of the threads from Prometheus in under 3 minutes of flashback.

See I thought that Prometheus was terrible for reasons that have been done to death by pretty much every one that has seen the film, however I hadn't completely rubbished a sequel and thought that if done properly (as in moving away from the xenomorph and focusing on the engineers) then it could have made for a brilliant follow on, apparently though old Ridley gave in to peer pressure and decided to scrap everything and just throw in a load of **** aliens to please the masses, whilst Prometheus was massively flawed it was at least trying to build on the mythos whereas Covenant just shit on it and tried to explain everything in 5 minutes.

I've had a drink so I don't know how much of that makes sense.

• Like 1

Saw hostiles tonight. Odeons new recliner seats a great added bonus, most comfortable cinema experience I’ve had! 

A fairly simple plot, predictable in places but extremely well executed. Bale absolutely steals the show as ever, just perfect acting. For a lengthy(ish) film with a simple(ish) plot it’s very well paced. Definitely one to watch for the oscars. 8/10. 

three billboards is next. Can’t wait for that!

Spy Kids  (2001)

I was only watching this film as it just happened to be on tv at the friend i was visiting .His kids seemed to enjoy  it ,i can't i say i did in all honesty 

Wind River , has to be one of the best films I've seen this year . Some real fine acting , especially from Jeremy Renner. It's about the murder of a Young girl , on an Indian reservation , the bleakness of the climate makes it all the more unnerving . Highly recommended , IMO .

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Wind River , has to be one of the best films I've seen this year . Some real fine acting , especially from Jeremy Renner. It's about the murder of a Young girl , on an Indian reservation , the bleakness of the climate makes it all the more unnerving . Highly recommended , IMO .

how many films did you see this year, though :trollface:?

On 05/01/2018 at 19:53, Chindie said:

As I always add when the Alien films are mentioned...

Alien - a masterpiece, a haunted house story in space that's simultaneously an amazing horror and sci fi film even nearly 40 years later. And one of the few movies where the directors cut is actually shorter than the theatrical release.

Aliens - a fantastic action movie whose only significant flaw is Cameron's customary slightly baggy editing.

Alien 3 - the Assembly Cut is genuinely an alright movie. It tries to recover the first movie's horror sentiments whilst playing with a few other themes. And kills off Newt, which is brilliant. It also has a great look and art design. Flawed but decent.

Resurrection - weird French sensibilities, stupid plot... The only upside is Winona Ryder being in it. Otherwise absolutely shit.

AvP - completely and utterly stupid, but fun in how daft and crap out is.

AvP: Requiem - easily amongst the worst films I've ever seen. Relegates the Predator to a cleaner (this version of the Predator is semi-officially referred to as the Wolf Predator, after Harvey Keitel's character in Pulp Fiction, as our serve the same purpose - clean up). Contains no good characters at all, handles the Predalien in absolutely horrendous fashion, and ends in such a way that seems to suggest even the director knew there was nothing with saving in the entire horrific piece of shit.

Prometheus - has some interesting if hackneyed ideas, then ties it into a plot that is undermined by blatant studiowantingatrilogyitis and one that is fuelled by the entire cast being thick (examples including scientists deciding that that the best course of action when presented with an alien life form obviously showing threatening behaviour is to poke it, and someone being unable to run left or right). There's no reason a prequel to Alien can't be a decent film, but this just makes dozens of crap decisions. Looks fantastic though. Oh and Noomi Rapace isn't a good enough actress to do the Ripley substitute role.

Alien: Covenant - a beautiful turd. Bins the mildly interesting stuff from Prometheus and smashes it into a rubbish version of Alien. Has some awful dialogue, really oddly bad CGI, some bizarre laugh out loud inappropriately moments... Technically little is wrong with it, like every Ridley Scott movie looks great mostly, and there's actually a good performance or 2 in there, but wow... The script is dreadful. It also kinda confirms that the more the Alien story is elaborated on, as began in Prometheus, the less satisfying it is. That or the decisions being made in developing that story are universally bad. Says everything that the film resolves most of the threads from Prometheus in under 3 minutes of flashback.

This should be published on IMDb as the accepted synopsis of the entire Alien series.

The Shining tonight. Never seen it before, it was good,  though not as scary as I was led to believe, I suspect the book, when you can create all the tension yourself would be more unnerving maybe. But at least I can understand another reference or two :/

I watched Lady Bird earlier and I’m really not sure what all the fuss is about, it really thinks it’s better than it is. Apart from a decent performance from Ronan there really isn’t much else to see here. The fact that it’s the 2nd favorite to 3 billboards in both best picture and best actress is laughable to be honest.

6/10 for me.

11 minutes ago, Rodders said:

The Shining tonight. Never seen it before, it was good,  though not as scary as I was led to believe, I suspect the book, when you can create all the tension yourself would be more unnerving maybe. But at least I can understand another reference or two :/

I've always thought that the Shining isn't meant to be scary, and it isn't. What it is, is very very unsettling throughout. There's nothing comfortable in that movie, the entire thing is designed to make you uneasy - not scared and not necessarily tense, just off guard and unsettled. It's probably best described as a 'chiller', perhaps.

It's a fantastic movie. So many good performances in a tiny cast (Danny aside), and iconic moments pour out of it. There's not that many movies that literally have dozens of completely unforgettable scenes, even ones just a few seconds long - the blood elevator, the twins, the bear costume...

A real favourite.

• Like 1

After the recent discussions over the Alien franchise, I thought I'd finish off the series by finally watching Covenant. 

I didn't find it engaging, thrilling, suspenseful or original at all. 

It was a poorly done rehash of the various good bits of the previous films but whilst looking glossy, failed to shine with any credibility. 

As for the ending.... Predictable and clumsy. 

They should just let it go now.  

4 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

After the recent discussions over the Alien franchise, I thought I'd finish off the series by finally watching Covenant. 

I didn't find it engaging, thrilling, suspenseful or original at all. 

It was a poorly done rehash of the various good bits of the previous films but whilst looking glossy, failed to shine with any credibility. 

As for the ending.... Predictable and clumsy. 

They should just let it go now.  

Just for balance I disagree and can’t wait for the next one.

its a very slick sci-fi movie with a mediocre script and some very interesting concepts on life and creation, it doesn’t particularly fit into the alien universe but I’m quite happy to accept it for what it is.

Â