The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

1 minute ago, theboyangel said:

^^^^ Slick, yes like a turd from a well lubed butthole. 

Have you seen Life? If you can honestly tell me Life is better than. Either Prometheus or Covenant I would have to call you a liar.

Just now, AVFCDAN said:

Have you seen Life? If you can honestly tell me Life is better than. Either Prometheus or Covenant I would have to call you a liar.

I havent seen life to be honest and have had no urge too as it does look like another Alien remake. 

But maybe I'll give it a go and let you know what I think. 

Fair play for finding entertainment in the Alien prequels - however much I loved the first two and was excited to see Ridley Scott at the helm again, I found both to concentrate on style over substance making them tedious and dull affairs. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, villakram said:

The Raid 2... watched this again last night. How is this guy not more famous by now. Those last 20mins are pure utter madness at its very best. 

Indeed.

I saw it in the cinema with a hangover from the previous nights escapades and left the cinema feeling nauseous, its a roller coaster that just doesn't let up.

13 hours ago, Chindie said:

I've always thought that the Shining isn't meant to be scary, and it isn't. What it is, is very very unsettling throughout. There's nothing comfortable in that movie, the entire thing is designed to make you uneasy - not scared and not necessarily tense, just off guard and unsettled. It's probably best described as a 'chiller', perhaps.

It's a fantastic movie. So many good performances in a tiny cast (Danny aside), and iconic moments pour out of it. There's not that many movies that literally have dozens of completely unforgettable scenes, even ones just a few seconds long - the blood elevator, the twins, the bear costume...

A real favourite.

That is probably true about it's intention. For me it was just a film / story I've heard referenced plenty of times as a horror and not seen before, and I my default response to the horror label is to presume scary, which is a very limited way of viewing a broad genre!

I actually thought the kid was quite good tbf, and many of the scenes seem appropriately hypnotic.

Interesting read for any fans of Daniel Day Lewis out there. I think he's a masterful screen actor and didn't realize his father was the poet laureate!

Phantom Thread is also, notably, English. For years, Day-Lewis, who is the son of Cecil Day-Lewis, a poet laureate of England, and Jill Balcon, an actress who was the daughter of Sir Michael Balcon, the head of one of England’s predominant film studios, was not the least bit interested in stories about his home country. His last English film was the 1985 Merchant Ivory production A Room With a View; nearly a decade later, he accepted the vaguely Eurocentric role of Newland Archer in The Age of Innocence, only because it was Scorsese who asked him.

“Too English,” he told me. “But Scorsese was a damn good reason to say yes. I had seen Taxi Driver five or six times in the first week that it came out, and I was hoping he’d ask me to do something more like that. Back then, contrary to expectations, I only wanted to tell American stories.”

https://www.wmagazine.com/story/exclusive-daniel-day-lewis-giving-up-acting-phantom-thread

On 07/01/2018 at 22:28, AVFCDAN said:

Life is blatantly 100x better than both Prometheus and Covenant. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Life is blatantly 100x better than both Prometheus and Covenant. 

Liar!

For me, Life is the definition of a mediocre sci-fi film. If you use that as the benchmark against both of those films its unfair to call them turd imo.

Edited by AVFCDAN

1 hour ago, AVFCDAN said:

Liar!

For me, Life is the definition of a mediocre sci-fi film. If you use that as the benchmark against both of those films its unfair to call them turd imo.

If Life is mediocre then P&C are the toxic squits. Other than looking really nice with cool visuals they had stupid nonsensical stories that make no sense and have stupid, terrible characters. Each to their own of course but Life was well made, had a decent story, it was coherent and made sense and the characters weren’t an issue. The very worst you can say about it was that it may be run of the mill. I thought it was a 7/10. P&C were 5/3 out of 10 respectively for me. Id rather watch the first AvP instead of Covenant.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

If Life is mediocre then P&C are the toxic squits. Other than looking really nice with cool visuals they had stupid nonsensical stories that make no sense and have stupid, terrible characters. Each to their own of course but Life was well made, had a decent story, it was coherent and made sense and the characters weren’t an issue. The very worst you can say about it was that it may be run of the mill. I thought it was a 7/10. P&C were 5/3 out of 10 respectively for me. Id rather watch the first AvP instead of Covenant.

I found Life boring and that is criminal for a Sci-Fi film.

I thought the themes of life and creation and what it means to be human very interesting across the two films personally. Throw in great visuals and sound and 2 great performances from Fassbender and its all good in my eyes, I accept I'm massively in the minority though, I guess we are all allowed our guilty pleasures in film.

Edited by AVFCDAN
  • Like 1

I thought Life was OK, a typical "people in isolated places meets unknown horror"  It steals/borrows a lot from older films in the same genre.

Prometheus I thought was OK after just seeing it, but the more I though about what happened in the film the worse it got. Still OK if you detach it from the Alien universe I guess.

Alien Covenant I thought was pretty but terrible (for an Alien film)  I kinda like Fassbender in most movies, but having him playing 2 roles and being the focal point rather than the Xenomorph didn't work for me.

Sadly the more you learn about the Alien universe the less interesting it gets for me.

I didn't really like Prometheus when I saw it in the cinema , but thought it was slightly better the second time around when I saw it on TV .. think I may have read some background articles in Empire which also helped convey what was being done with the film

Alien Covenant was a steaming pile of poo though ..

On ‎29‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 01:33, pooligan said:

Barbarella  (1968)

God,i can't believe it is 50 years ago  since i first saw this  film at the cinema .To be honest,i had forgotten most of the film except for how sexy Jane Fonda was in it .Some of the outfits she wore were a bit daring for the time .

designed by Paco Rabanne (  just happened to read it in a magazine yesterday )

On ‎28‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 17:55, Shropshire Lad said:

Just watched “supersonic”. 

Very good, already knew some of the anecdotes but it was nice to hear from some of the supporting players (along with Liam & Noel, of course) and the behind the scenes footage is great.

I got around to watching it last night

enjoyable  , but doesn't do anything to change the perception that the Gallagher brothers are a bunch of clearings in the woods

interesting from the Boardwalk footage  that "All around the world" was one of his earlier efforts ... maybe even  the first song he wrote ?  always love listen to how songs evolve as the songwriter evolves .. bet he never imagine it being produced with strings and horns etc  ??

Managed to see some films at the cinema and at home over Christmas:

The last Jedi:  In the main I thought it was ok, but some bits I really didn't like.  A little too much banter/jokes and not enough tension for my liking.   Visually beautiful though.

Paddington 2:  I liked it and kids loved it.  Feel good film and some real funny moments. 

Hacksaw Ridge:  Good solid war film.  Slow for an hour, but story building and then the action kicks in.  Enjoyed it and nice touch at the end hearing some accounts from the brave who fought.  

King Arthur (2017):  Guy Ritchie's attempt was an epic failure for me.  Awful.  Even the 2004 version was better.  Good cast, let down by a poor script.  I suppose some of the special effects were ok. 

3 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

interesting from the Boardwalk footage  that "All around the world" was one of his earlier efforts ... maybe even  the first song he wrote ?  always love listen to how songs evolve as the songwriter evolves .. bet he never imagine it being produced with strings and horns etc  ??

I'm sure I have seen Noel say he always envisaged it being a big song with strings etc hence why it was never considered for the first 2 albums. 

Â