Match Thread: Olympiacos v Villa

1 minute ago, Rodders said:

It's not a surprise. We were busted last round. It was penalty luck that got us to this round. We've been on fumes for too long. Too many injuries and not enough depth. Shit game but they need a break 

We have quite a bit of depth. To have gotten as far as we have in this competition as well as being within 3 points of CL qualification with the injuries we've had is impressive. Many other teams would have had their season crumble.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

We are an absolute embarrassment at the moment. Can’t defend, can’t attack. We look a shambles. 

Tiredness is such a lame excuse, these are professional athletes. Theyll probably lose the last 2 league games and finish 5th just to top it all off.

They are also playing against professional athletes.

They are not faking being tired to get out of having to play a final but that is the logical conclusion of suggesting tiredness is not an excuse for their recent performances.

It could possibly be that they have lost a competitive edge after such a long season and it’s all very fine margins at this level. Being even slightly off it leads to you being punished. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tommo_b said:

How can any of you moan, yeah it would be nice to have got to the final but it’s clear this squad are fatigued massively. 

If we dont win every match we are dross, dont ya know

• Haha 2

We've had a long season that injuries have compounded, and you can tell we are dead on our feet. 

I am not going to lose my mind too much about this, but it does feel like a massive missed opportunity. 

3 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

This competition run is best forgotten. Take from it what we can and put it behind us. On the brink of top 4 which is amazing. 

Top 4, bringing us more European disappointments.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, mykeyb said:

We have missed Tyrone massively this season

I think we'd have less points in the league if Mings played a lot of the games instead of Torres 

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

but what if i told you we dont need to win another game...

Not relevant to the point tbf, just need to hope we’ve done enough already 

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

They are professional athletes, so what they should be Superman? There's limits to even what professional athletes can do. If you think 4K minutes in everyone's legs don't have an effect, you're just venting and not thinking about this reasonably.

Pleased at how we’ve capitulated in our first European semi final in over 40 years to a barely average Greek team are you? 

If tiredness was going to be an issue they should have just focused on the league. You do know if we finish 4th we will be playing just as many games next season (if we go far in the CL) potentially against better European sides?

Liverpool have played more games than us this season also with lots of injuries and still play with energy. We play like we just want the season to end. That’s not tiredness, that’s capitulation.

1 minute ago, Tayls said:

Man I love a good gyros. One of best things about going to Greece. That and there’s like, history, and stuff. 

Too much bumming for my preference, but I say that without prejudice.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

Play all the kids against Liverpool - and if we do still need anything against Palace then we'll be fresh for it.

But surely we want to try and end this ASAP. Can’t risk needing a win on the final day if Spurs win next two? 

• Like 1

Just now, Tommo_b said:

How can any of you moan, yeah it would be nice to have got to the final but it’s clear this squad are fatigued massively. 

It's fine, but we have been very bad over both these two games and not really made it competitive. Would have liked to see more fight than what we have seen if I'm being honest. We kinda blew it.

The squad is very tired though, this is pretty obvious.

7 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

You've got to admire how well Olympiacos defend - they're organised, determined and they've given absolutely everything in keeping us out.

stop watching the actual game and talking sense

they're **** shit, we're a PL team from god's own country, i didnt vote brexit for this

• Haha 1