Pre-match thread - Cup Final 3 of 10

ender4

On 31/03/2024 at 12:54, GlobalVillan said:

We can't and they will totally overrun us in midfield as a consequence.

There's that, and the fact that if we do manage to get the ball into dangerous areas there will be no Watkins. 

I'd love to win this fixture more than any other as I hate the b******, but without McGinn, Kamara and Watkins plus them having Rodri and KDB back, I cannot possibly see a way to nick a point. 

This is a game we just need to get out of the way with minimum damage.

I can see us getting something at Arsenal, but not here.  They will be out for revenge and they will get it. 

Just hope it's not a proper tonking.

Glad to se you’re fully embracing the possitives and not just sinking into deep and depressing thoughts. It’ll be tough no doubt but let’s not raise the white flag before a ball has been kicked! We have an excellent manager and a decent squad who are capable of getting something out of this game if everything goes right for us. UTV!!!!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DaveAV1 said:

Glad to se you’re fully embracing the possitives and not just sinking into deep and depressing thoughts. It’ll be tough no doubt but let’s not raise the white flag before a ball has been kicked! We have an excellent manager and a decent squad who are capable of getting something out of this game if everything goes right for us. UTV!!!!

I'm just realistic. We could have given them a game and nicked a point with McGinn, Kamara and Watkins. But we would need all 3 of them. It looks like we will have none of them.

It's not a big deal, as we lose there every single year and have done for almost 2 decades. I just don't want to screw up the goal difference.

Edited by GlobalVillan
  • Like 2

Keep it as tight as we can for as long as we can with Bailey, Diaby and Duran given license to rampage on the break. 

If we get to half time at 0-0 the crowd will turn after their performance v Arsenal. 

I’m not saying you’re wrong but I am an eternal optimist so I’ve got my fingers and everything else crossed while staying realistic. I’ve been pleasantly surprised plenty of times before, including for the reverse fixture. As others have mentioned Pepe losing it with Joe, show’s he’s losing it a bit and public fall outs are never good for a team, not a thing you’d see from a top manager, Saunders kept it all behind closed doors when the bollockings were handed out, perhaps Pep has lost his cheque book? 

• Like 1

Yeah, it's highly likely we'll lose.  As many have said, as long as it isn't a demoralising 6-0 or something then, meh, whatever.

BUT... there's always hope.

• Like 2

Bailey and Diaby are gonna cause city big problems on their left side if they play like they did against Arsenal, tbh City looked pretty flat, I think we're playing them at the right time.

I just hope we are not losing 3-0 at HT or get it to 0-0 at HT and then concede two quick goals in our usual 45-60 minute slot. 

At some point in these away games to the big boys we have to get a result under Emery surely? Not expecting anything here and hope the goal difference doesn't take a hammering but I'd like to see us do what Brighton did last season away to Arsenal (when we were hoping they would lose) and get a surprise win in either this or Arsenal away. Be good to see Spurs fans reaction if we did as they will have this down as an easy Villa loss. 

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

GD is so tight with Spurs, even a 1-0 loss isn't that bad

Agree, whilst we don’t suit parking the bus, I do think we need be cagey in our approach for this reason.

I feel oddly optimistic about this game which invites disappointment I know. This City side aren't the destroyer of worlds team of before albeit still very good. It would be a shock if we lost badly anyway. 

But who knows with their money if they need a win, our players hands need to be tied behind the backs and not give even a whiff of a stud showing the wrong way etc

After watching them against Arsenal I'm much more optimistic. Lost the ball every time they were pressed. Hopeful chops out of defence landing at Arsenal feet every time. If Martinelli had been properly fit and played the 90 Arsenal would have won it 2 nil. 

Shame McGinn isn't available, as this game is tailor made for him. 

I'd get some pace in our midfield and push em. JJ would be right for this.