Pre-match thread - Cup Final 3 of 10

ender4

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, TRO said:

I don't think we have the players to go ultra defensive......I think our only chance, is to have a go at them, without being too open.

I don't disagree. I hope we can at least do a bit of man-marking, too, although I also worry about knee injuries. Staying glued to an opposition forward is hard on the ACLs. Marking Haaland really seems to fluster him.

Edited by Marka Ragnos

I’d look to start Zaniolo over Rogers, if indeed it’s a straight choice between the two. Rogers has shown some decent potential but the weakest aspect of his game appears to be defending, Zaniolo might be able to apply a little more experience and maturity (might).

Missing McGinn and Kamara will make a significant difference versus the home game earlier in the season I think, so I guess we’ll have to approach it differently.

• Like 3

Anything from this is a bonus. 
Fully expecting a loss, but fortunately we’ve got ourselves into a position where we don’t need anything from these games

• Like 2

8 hours ago, omariqy said:

Ake, Ederson and Walker all out. Stones rated as a maybe.

I'm guessing their starting defence is something like Akanji-Dias-Gardivol-Rico Lewis?

Some world class players in there but it's not a unit that is used to playing together especially with a second choice keeper behind them so you feel we will get a couple of big chances if we're positive.

Of course Guardiola could go totally random and stick Bernardo Silva at LB as he's done in the past as their title bid is over if they don't beat us.

8 hours ago, Leeroy said:

Yeah I'm not too fussed between Rogers and Zaniolo, I wouldn't be too bothered if he started Rogers for this one then brought in Zaniolo for Brentford. I do think Digne has to come in for Moreno though. 

Think Rogers will just give the ball away needlessly too often in this. Was like that at West Ham.

Zaniolo played a year or two under Mourinho so he's used to being disciplined in big games so I'm coming round to his selection as an inside forward taking up central areas close to the middle two.

• Like 4

Well, I'm glad the Viking Destroyer is all riled up with something to prove. Thanks, Roy Keane. Just what we need -- Angry Erling. 😬 

Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola has defended striker Erling Haaland following Roy Keane's criticism after Sunday's 0-0 draw with Arsenal. 

The ex-Manchester United captain said Haaland's "general play" is "so poor" and "almost like a League Two player".

"I don't agree with him, absolutely not," said Guardiola when asked about Keane's comments.

Haaland scored 52 goals in all competitions last season and has 29 this term - 18 in the Premier League.

"He's the best striker in the world," added Guardiola of the 23-year-old Norwegian.

"He helped us win last season and the reason why we didn't create many answers from Erling is we need more presence in the final third with more people.

"We played an exceptional game, I reviewed the game against Arsenal but we just missed more people in the final third. The quality and different skillset we have, Haaland is exceptional."

City are three points behind leaders Liverpool after Sunday's match, which saw the home side fail to score in a Premier League game at the Etihad Stadium for the first time since October 2021. 

Speaking as a pundit on Sky Sports after the game, Keane said of Haaland: "The levels of his general play is so poor, and not just today. His general play for such a player, it is so poor, I think he has to improve that, he's almost like a League Two player."

2 hours ago, AVTuco said:

This will be a nice match to watch, as you can just enjoy the game without any nerves.

This for me only applies if they score twice in the first ten minutes and then the rest of the game is close. 

If there's even a sniff of getting something out of this I'll be a wreck, if we get walked all over I'll find it painful and watch something else 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, peterwithethewinner said:

If we start Duran and Zaniolo..we’ll be down to 9 men after 20 mins due to 2 red cards!!

Duran only has one red card, in Chicago two years ago. Zaniolo has four over 150 competitive games. 

Do they have no discipline in your opinion or will City pay the ref to send off players coming into the starting XI? Not sure what the suggestion is from your post. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AVTuco said:

This will be a nice match to watch, as you can just enjoy the game without any nerves.

Not if we lose by more than 2/3 goals. I am weirdly confident though. Usually a bad sign

• Like 1

10 hours ago, AVTuco said:

Wait until it’s 0-1 to us at 74 mins and Duran gets a second yellow for time wasting 😬 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Omari?

I also wish we'd been able to keep Philogene in the mix this year. Always thought there was something about him, but no use crying over it. He brought in some needed funds, presumably. 

I don't disagree with you in some ways, but I think if Philogene was here, he'd have spent a long year on the bench behind Bailey, Diaby, Zaniolo and co. It's a pity he didn't join Hull on loan I guess.

• Like 1