Pre-match thread - Cup Final 3 of 10

ender4

Arsenal just showed how to play against Man City away out of possession but we just don’t have the personnel available in midfield. It would be a lot to put on Tim but feels like tactically what we should do. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, DakotaVilla said:

Arsenal just showed how to play against Man City away out of possession but we just don’t have the personnel available in midfield. It would be a lot to put on Tim but feels like tactically what we should do. 

That's exactly how I see it, too. We have the tactics, we have the will to win --  but probably not the personnel this week. I mean, Ødegaard and Rice were superb, fully matured midfielders, I thought, and when we have Kamara and McGinn, we can create a similar if different style of indefatigable, dogged midfield, but without them, well, Tielemans and Tim just don't have that intensity and experience. Dougie is great, so there's that. I don't think we're equipped to do an "Arsenal" midfield, but you'd think that Unai is wise enough not to try. He'll work with the tools we have not the ones we don't..

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 1

Arsenal did really well against them however a very good ball playing team went there and had less than 30% possession….pressing isn’t our strong suit either so we are going to really need to be on it to get something out of this game. Imagine doing the double over them! I have a feeling we are going to see Duran start this one with us resting Ollie for Saturday. Emery is clever and will want to pick our battles at such an important time in the season…..I do hope we can spring a surprise 

Edited by Villatillidie95
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, omariqy said:

Looks like Ake, Walker and possibly Stones (on the bench) will be out for this. Gvardiol is there weak link as looks uncomfortable at left back. I'd expect Doku or Grealish and Alvarez to play. 

The idea of Gvardiol being their weak link, is to me, an indication of their strength. 

• Like 2

Free hit for me, expecting a beating so anything other than that and I'll be happy. With everyone fit we can give anyone a game on our day but depleted in key positions is a tough ask. Not saying we can't but we'll need 9/10 performances from nearly everyone to get a point.

• Like 3

Just hope the goal difference wont suffer too much

Difficult game at a ground we are notoriously arse in. Had a decent 2nd half up there last season but the game was done and they took their foot off. Since they moved there I can only remember a 2-0 (Maloney FK) & that 4-2 in the cup in the lime green. Could have done with Kamara and McGinn and them without Rodri again but whatever, lets see how it transpires, be amazing to grab a point and try to stay undefeated for the run in.

• Like 1

After watching the game against Arsenal I don’t think Villa have too much to fear. Fell asleep trying to watch a bore draw!

Villa have the pace to expose an injury hit Man City back line so I expect Villa to do exactly that!

• Like 1

Duran’s determination and maverick style will be a pain in their side and catch them a bit. Moussa or Leon will score. We’ll still lose.

• Like 1

The referee will be key. It was one of the best refereeing performances I’ve seen in the first game . 

I think either Zaniolo or Rogers should man mark Rodri. I think they have the physical strength to give him a game. 

• Like 1

I just can’t see anything other than a defeat here. Without McGinn, Kamara and Watkins we are without key players. They will dominate midfield. 

It's difficult trying to guess what Unai's approach towards the game will be. I doubt he will consider it a foregone conclusion, he's too proud for that.

A point right now would feel great, however, it's how to find that balance between caution and bravado. If we can go in at half - time leve,l then, I think the pressure will be with them more than us. Should they start to get frustrated, then it's imperative that we capitalise on that, but every player needs to be zoned in from the moment that whistle blows, just as they were in the 1 - 0 victory. If we can somehow repeat that level of intensity, then we will give ourselves a chance. 

It's refreshing to have that "We hate to lose mentality," hence the constant bounce back from defeats. 

I'm genuinely excited instead of fearful, so that speaks for itself. 

Come on me Babbys!!

Edited by sheepyvillian

On 31/03/2024 at 19:20, theboyangel said:

Guaranteed they won’t play as bad on Wednesday night. 

if we let them play..we are dead.

but we can't do a low block either, we are not that kind of side.....we have to catch them on the counter...and let them, worry about us a bit.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

The idea of Gvardiol being their weak link, is to me, an indication of their strength. 

From what I saw Kovacic is their relatively weak link. A very good player in his own right but hasn't quite settled into their system and can give the ball away when pressed so a bit like Tielemans for us.

Of course if we just stand five yards off him all game he'll be constantly pinging 40 yard diagonals to their wide players like the rest of them.

They'll want to get Walker back for sure to nullify Bailey as he was unplayable in the VP match.

The wildcard option I guess is we just dust off Chambers, stick him into midfield and cross our fingers but that also has the potential to go badly badly wrong.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

From what I saw Kovacic is their relatively weak link. A very good player in his own right but hasn't quite settled into their system and can give the ball away when pressed so a bit like Tielemans for us.

Of course if we just stand five yards off him all game he'll be constantly pinging 40 yard diagonals to their wide players like the rest of them.

They'll want to get Walker back for sure to nullify Bailey as he was unplayable in the VP match.

The wildcard option I guess is we just dust off Chambers, stick him into midfield and cross our fingers but that also has the potential to go badly badly wrong.

I would play Zaniolo, mainly for his mentality, he doesn't strike me as the type to be overawed, I use that word purposely, because that's how a lot of our players seemed when we last visited there. I honestly think a character like Zani thrives on big occasions, if he has a fault, it's that he sometimes tries a little too hard. However, as seen over the last few appearances, he seems to have found that spark. I really think he could be something special, and who doesn't like a "Maverick" when he's firing.

It's too much of a gamble to let them have all the momentum, better to match their intensity and stay disciplined. We have players to cause them problems, that's for sure.

• Like 3

Some hot takes from the Bluemoon forum today, FWIW. I always like to lurk and take a peek at what the opp are saying. I won't say this is consensus, but I think it gives a snapshot.

McGinn being suspended and Watkins going off with a hamstring issue yesterday will hopefully help us.

I’d play Bobb as a kick up the arse to Foden and KDB. He’s been in form for Norway, so deserves a shot down the right.

Villa aren't normally the bus parking type under Emery, If anything they have been brave playing a really high line and catching teams with the offside trap. Whether they do that on Wednesay is another thing. 

Villa are still the best team we've faced this season, They were seriously good against us at Villa Park. 

We need to be careful because they've players that can hurt us with Bailey, Diaby, Duran ect...As you said try and score as early as we can and they'll open up.

"I think Villa are ravaged with injuries so it wont be the Villa that tore us apart at their gaff. Think we'll win but it'll be ugly."

I think we will destroy Villa on Wednesday. We may be slow to anger, but our payback is meticulous. 

They will sorely miss Mcginn, Watkins and Cash. Emery will have Villa bring the game to us, playing to keep themselves in the top 4, with Spurs (3pts behind, game in hand) breathing down their necks.

Funny that we get more respect from City than teams like Newcastle or Spurs. 

I think they’ll win but with Haaland out of form we do have a chance to snatch a draw. Which I’d take if offered. 

On 31/03/2024 at 15:05, VillaChris said:

Tielemans was quality v Wolves but this is exactly the sort of game where he'll be constantly bypassed, we're talking one of the best midfield units in the world with Rodri, KDB and Bernardo Silva and Foden constantly drifting infield.

I wonder if Tim getting ten minutes is prep for him to start this. He's very raw but we've started Rogers in a few high profile games now and other teams around us had to start youth players in big fixtures this season.

To have a chance of any sort of result we need three stationary in the centre of the pitch and hopefully they can circulate the ball quickly to Bailey and Diaby on counter attacks.

I don't know whether we'll play Tim or not but like you I foresee a midfield two of Luiz and Tielemans being way too open for playing at the Etihad, we're just not going to have enough of the ball for that to work as a two. 

Think we're in greater danger of being humbled quite badly in this match than we are of getting a point. 

• Like 1