Pre-match thread - Cup Final 3 of 10

ender4

Can take a loss but not another battering, we need to keep our GD stable. We've already had three spankings this season so don't need another one, especially as I reckon West Ham might get a positive result against Tottenham. I'm ok losing by a goal or 2 but any more than that is a bad result.

Team is pretty obvious given the performance of Zaniolo and Digne against Wolves:

Martinez

Konsa Carlos Torres Digne

Luiz Tielemans

Bailey Zaniolo Diaby

Duran

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Emi

Konsa Carlos Pau Digne

Luiz Tielemans

Bailey    Diaby   Rogers 

Duran

I think with Ollie out this is the lineup I would go for. Really fine balance between putting Rogers or Zaniolo on to start, but I’ve gone for Morgz

Edited by alreadyexists

Another option is to bring in Lenglet, Digne and Zaniolo and play a back 5 but it is a bit defensive. Didn't work against Tottenham but might against City away. 

1 minute ago, Leeroy said:

Can take a loss but not another battering, we need to keep our GD stable. We've already had three spankings this season so don't need another one, especially as I reckon West Ham might get a positive result against Tottenham. I'm ok losing by a goal or 2 but any more than that is a bad result.

Team is pretty obvious given the performance of Zaniolo and Digne against Wolves:

Martinez

Konsa Carlos Torres Digne

Luiz Tielemans

Bailey Zaniolo Diaby

Duran

It’s a really close one! I think Zaniolo showed lots of promise, but I think he’s a bit too gungho for a game where we need to be tight and disciplined, rather than outright chaotic good that NZ brings 

Just now, alreadyexists said:

It’s a really close one! I think Zaniolo showed lots of promise, but I think he’s a bit too gungho for a game where we need to be tight and disciplined, rather than outright chaotic good that NZ brings 

Yeah I'm not too fussed between Rogers and Zaniolo, I wouldn't be too bothered if he started Rogers for this one then brought in Zaniolo for Brentford. I do think Digne has to come in for Moreno though. 

1 minute ago, Leeroy said:

Yeah I'm not too fussed between Rogers and Zaniolo, I wouldn't be too bothered if he started Rogers for this one then brought in Zaniolo for Brentford. I do think Digne has to come in for Moreno though. 

Yeah totally agree. I like Moreno but Digne has to start this one for me.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Another option is to bring in Lenglet, Digne and Zaniolo and play a back 5 but it is a bit defensive. Didn't work against Tottenham but might against City away. 

I feel like 90% of the time a back 5 is never the answer, but I am wrong at least 35% of the time.

• Like 1

Emi

Konsa Carlos Pau Digne

Bailey Luiz Tielemans Diaby

Zaniolo Duran

Start Duran but he won’t last 90 minutes. Careful thought needed here in terms of the starting 11. I’d go Zaniolo to start and Rogers to come on for Duran at some point. I’d play Zaniolo central to occupy Rodri. Perhaps Moreno to come on for Zaniolo. Need a real shift from Diaby and Bailey who will need to play most of the 90. Big ask this with the players we have out. 

I feel like putting Tielemans higher up on Rodri and Tim next to Dougie might make sense but you probably can't drop Diaby after a goal and assist last time out. I'd be tempted to start Zaniolo instead of Rogers too.

The Arsenal City game was a bit of a blueprint for stopping City. But one mistake and they will punish you. I think we need to be solid from set pieces so would go with some size. 

Emi

Konsa Carlos Pau Digne

Doug Tim

Bailey Tielemans Diaby 

Duran

Out of possession I’d expect that to turn into a 6-2-2 with two of Doug, Tim or Youri filling in out wide. We then need Bailey and Diaby to keep City honest with runs behind when we win the ball back. 

I think it’s a massive ask to get one point, never mind 3. But the way we dominated in VP makes me think we can take something. And anything is a huge bonus. 

49 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Please no 

Ill be shocked if we go anywhere near as attacking as some are suggesting.

Its going to be a fascinating game tactically!

Well when we beat them at VP it was a back 5 of

Emi

Konsa Carlos Pau Digne 

So absolutely no need to change that really, given Diego and Lucas both had very decent performances last time out and Moreno had a bit of a stinker. Bringing Lenglet in and going to a back 5 would give out the wrong message to the players and give all impetus to the cheats so I can't see that happening, thankfully.

We have a decent base there, the issue is further forward, and how we can nullify City whilst also causing them a few issues at the same time.

At VP we had Kamara and McGinn whilst they had no Rodri and De Bruyne so it will be a whole new ball game in this one. I can see why Tim would be an option centrally as we will probably be out of possession for large spells but Tielemans is playing well and I can't see anything other than him and Luiz centrally. 

Bailey on the right. Duran up top as we need a focal point, I think then it's 2 from 3 - Diaby/Zaniolo/Rogers.

On paper you would choose Diaby, but the game may be more suited to Rogers ball carrying / hustling style?!

Also Zaniolo brings that kind of play, but Diaby offers real pace on the counter, so..  who knows. Trust in Emery whatever team he picks.

Hopefully don't concede early, and play ourselves into it, no silly mistakes. If they beat us because they are better I can live with that, but I'm hopeful we can give them a real good game. UTV 

2 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

Emi

Konsa Carlos Pau Digne

Luiz Tielemans

Bailey    Diaby   Rogers 

Duran

I think with Ollie out this is the lineup I would go for. Really fine balance between putting Rogers or Zaniolo on to start, but I’ve gone for Morgz

This will be the team. 

• Like 1

I don't think we have the players to go ultra defensive......I think our only chance, is to have a go at them, without being too open.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

We might as well play the reserves.

Omari?

I also wish we'd been able to keep Philogene in the mix this year. Always thought there was something about him, but no use crying over it. He brought in some needed funds, presumably. 

Edited by Marka Ragnos