Pre-match thread - Cup Final 3 of 10

ender4

Tielemans was quality v Wolves but this is exactly the sort of game where he'll be constantly bypassed, we're talking one of the best midfield units in the world with Rodri, KDB and Bernardo Silva and Foden constantly drifting infield.

I wonder if Tim getting ten minutes is prep for him to start this. He's very raw but we've started Rogers in a few high profile games now and other teams around us had to start youth players in big fixtures this season.

To have a chance of any sort of result we need three stationary in the centre of the pitch and hopefully they can circulate the ball quickly to Bailey and Diaby on counter attacks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GlobalVillan said:

We can't and they will totally overrun us in midfield as a consequence.

There's that, and the fact that if we do manage to get the ball into dangerous areas there will be no Watkins. 

I'd love to win this fixture more than any other as I hate the b******, but without McGinn, Kamara and Watkins plus them having Rodri and KDB back, I cannot possibly see a way to nick a point. 

This is a game we just need to get out of the way with minimum damage.

I can see us getting something at Arsenal, but not here.  They will be out for revenge and they will get it. 

Just hope it's not a proper tonking.

Where has it been confirmed that Watkins is out?

19 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

I can see him being left out. We need him fully fit for Brentford and Weds-Sat 3pm is a quick turnaround.

Didn't Duran hit the bar in the game last season after coming in so think he'll unsettle their backline at times with his unorthodox presence.

Martinez

Konsa        Carlos          Pau           Digne

Bailey         Tim               Luiz          Zaniolo

Tielemans     Watkins

• Thanks 1

Just watching City ahead of our game, and they absolutely **** hate it when they are pressed in their own third. Given it away almost every time when put under pressure.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hev said:

So Haaland is waiting to get his 30th goal this season apparently . . .

Well when he waits he does absolutely **** all. Man City have been insipid today. Did they have a shot?

Most excited I've been for a Villa game in a couple months I think. No real pressure to win this one, especially with United dropping points, and we won't really be expected to do anything either. Would love to see us really turn up for this one and can kind of imagine it too.

Is there really any doubt whatsoever about how this game needs to go? It’s real simple. We have to overrun them, or we will not get away with a draw.

Once again. We overrun them, or we lose.  

That is all. 

3 hours ago, TheMightyVillans said:

Martinez

Konsa        Carlos          Pau           Digne

Bailey         Tim               Luiz          Zaniolo

Tielemans     Watkins

Watkins won't play so unfortunately Duran will have to, Tim absolutely won't be starting away to the treble winners and why would anyone drop Diaby after a goal and assist in his last match?

Agree on the defence though. Kind of picks itself with Cash out and Moreno out of form.

44 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

They seem to be getting stick for how bad they were in front of goal today, particularly Haaland. Not sure that bodes well for us to be honest.

Dropping points today and us up next. Not sure that bodes well for them

21 hours ago, juanpablosaliceband said:

I have a good feeling we might win this for some unknown reason. Just helped myself to a small flutter at 10-1. 

10-1 to us is ambitious but I like it. Must've got good odds on that, even this lot are shite.

7 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Nowhere I could find. It's sounding so far like a "grade 1" hamstring injury, I gather? Typically takes between a few days to a few weeks to heal. It's good he came off when he did.

It's a common injury in athletes and can happen in different severities. The 3 grades of hamstring injury are:

grade 1 – a mild muscle pull or strain

grade 2 – a partial muscle tear

grade 3 – a complete muscle tear

The length of time it takes to recover from a hamstring strain or tear will depend on how severe the injury is.

A minor muscle pull or strain (grade 1) may take a few days to heal, whereas it could take weeks or months to recover from a muscle tear (grade 2 or 3).

Looks like Ake, Walker and possibly Stones (on the bench) will be out for this. Gvardiol is there weak link as looks uncomfortable at left back. I'd expect Doku or Grealish and Alvarez to play. 

2 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Looks like Ake, Walker and possibly Stones (on the bench) will be out for this. Gvardiol is there weak link as looks uncomfortable at left back. I'd expect Doku or Grealish and Alvarez to play. 

Much prefer coming up against Grealish than Doku 

• Like 1

Doku is frightening with his pace and trickery.

Really cannot see Unai giving Tim his full debut against man city. It will be Tielemans and Luiz again. Same team except Digne, Zaniolo and Duran for Moreno, Rogers and Watkins