New Aston Villa Stadium Chat

VillaChris

If we were to ever to build a new stadium and Chel€ki ditched their proposed H&DM plans.. as I referenced earlier I’d like to see something like this in red brick with stained glass windows and mosaics. An exterior which is somewhat contemporary but with a nod to our historical past. 

And the interior of the proposed plop stadium... keeping the four separate stands. 

One can but dream ... that’s is to say  if we were to ever move /build a new stadium btw not necessarily wishing for it to happen. H&DM do have last form with recycling old scraped designs for new clients. their proposal for Portsmouth was used by Bordeaux. 

Edited by thabucks

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, hippo said:

I would just rebuild else where. There is no reason why we have stay in crime central. The location does us no favours.

Where is this utopia you dream of? A green field site is out of the question in the current ecco climate. 

Economically land around VP is relatively cheap. Rehousing can be achieved in a sensitive way, that helps and improves the local community. Perhaps a shopping mall idea with a hotel(s) like the new one at the NEC could work with good road and rail links, which are largely in place already. 

This idea that we should move Aston Villa away from Aston, to my mind is just wrong. I can live with a sponsor’s name, if it’s a big economic boost, it’ll still be Villa Park. Villa and Villa Park are unique, let’s keep it that way and not sell our soul in the name of progress and money. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

Where is this utopia you dream of? A green field site is out of the question in the current ecco climate. 

Economically land around VP is relatively cheap. Rehousing can be achieved in a sensitive way, that helps and improves the local community. Perhaps a shopping mall idea with a hotel(s) like the new one at the NEC could work with good road and rail links, which are largely in place already. 

This idea that we should move Aston Villa away from Aston, to my mind is just wrong. I can live with a sponsor’s name, if it’s a big economic boost, it’ll still be Villa Park. Villa and Villa Park are unique, let’s keep it that way and not sell our soul in the name of progress and money.

Economicilly there is nothing for us in Aston. The guy who runs the 24/7 fruit and veg stall ..isn't going to be taking out a corporate box anytime soon. !!!!

• Like 2

Just now, hippo said:

Economicilly there is nothing for us in Aston. The guy who runs the 24/7 fruit and veg stall ..isn't going to be taking out a corporate box anytime soon. !!!!

Lucky we're not the Nomadic Economics Club then really.

fwiw I'd hate us to turn in to something like the O2 in London with an arena in the middle of a remarkably soulless shopping complex of chain eateries and cinemas

The guy who gets ripped for pitch fees with the burger van is all part of the charm for me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hippo said:

I’m confident we can extend the corporate net a little wider than that. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My concerns with wrap around corners would be that we loose the unique four stand aspect of villa park and especially with the north stand meeting the witton stand it won’t look aesthetically pleasing due to the different stand configurations and gradients and will look as absolute mess, sort of like Charlton @ The Valley . I’ve said before if there is an economic case to be made, and we move to the right location and with the right design I’d be all for leaving Villa Park to a new 65,000 multi-use stadium with retractable roof and pitch for example. I can only see being the case though as I said if the economics don’t match up in return per seat vs expenditure or to heavily increase match day revenue. I can see it being investigated but won’t come to fruition for at least 20 plus years.

Would ardent fans of staying at VP be against moving if there was a cast iron case to move and progress the club and benefit supporters? 

1 hour ago, sheepyvillian said:

Can you imagine a purpose built stadium in the middle of Longbridge ? Just the thought is enough .

What about a purpose built stadium at the site of the planned Curzon Street station should HS2 not go ahead? Just around the corner from Aston?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mic09 said:

What about a purpose built stadium at the site of the planned Curzon Street station should HS2 not go ahead? Just around the corner from Aston?

Is there something to say it wont?!

I know quite a few people that do Compulsory Purchase valuations for either side and with the amount of money spent I'd be amazed if it gets cancelled. It will go way, way over budget, but don't see them scrapping it.

• 1 year later...
20 minutes ago, thabucks said:

As moving stadia talk is taking over the ESR thread thought I’d bump this one … 

Its a fantasy concept moving stadium as it won’t happen anytime soon, if ever.

I’m not as wedded to VP as some - it had its heart torn out when Doug tore down the old Trinity Road Stand. IF we were to move closer to the city centre for the right reasons and importantly the right design then I’d be all for it.

We are land locked and losing revenue due to the stadium. We can expand certain parts of the ground with the North Stand crying out to be replaced. But that won’t solve the crowding issues in the Holte Upper & lower or Trinity. Witton Lane I avoid like the plague if I can. Fan comfort and more importantly rinsing the 10% is what modern stadia are all about. We will struggle to keep up finically and the gap will widen year on year with Spurs, Arsenal, Citeh & Co due to sheer amount their stadiums make them in terms of revenue above ours. 

Perhaps we should ask the government to build us a stadium like Man City and West Ham did. Commonwealth games are coming, I can only imagine SHA will be begging to get the stadium, as they have been for years. 10K or less rattling around a 50/60K stadium would be ridiculous. So it could happen. 

I always thought the NEC was the obvious location for the national stadium. Of course given the idiots who were making the decision they went for Wembley because it’s so easily accessible to the majority of the country. 

If I turn off my heart for a moment and turn on my brain then The NEC makes a lot of sense to us too. NSWE would have to sell the idea, but if we’re sitting at the top of the league with a few trophies in the cabinet, I’m pretty sure they could sell us a relocation to the moon. 

P.S. the design would have to be something amazing and unique. We don’t want a soulless bowl. To leave Villa Park I want the world! 

Edited by DaveAV1

1 minute ago, DaveAV1 said:

If I turn off my heart for a moment and turn on my brain then The NEC makes a lot of sense to us too.

Never turn your heart off. 

• Like 4

• 5 months later...
36 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Agree with some parts of the above, but the main reason for me is, I think Football in this country has moved on, and is moving almost towards a franchise system. The gap between the rich and poor is monumental and we need to make sure we keep ourselves in that group (as harsh as it seems).

We are kind of blessed in we are by far and away the biggest club in the second biggest city. What an unbelievable statement it would be to build a new 60k seater stadium in the city centre, and put a real stamp on the city of Birmingham. This is Aston Villa’s home, nobody else’s. 

I love the holte end as much as the next person but I also spent a lot of time in Cardiff and the buzz of the city on match day (granted it’s rugby), is amazing. Bars are packed, there are facilities for everyone. People just step foot off the train and they’re right by the stadium. 

Same as most stadiums in America. A lot of them can be found in the city centre and you know when you get there, that team belongs to that city. 

In reality, obviously there are financial constraints but if it was genuinely an option, I’d love us to move to the city centre in a brand spanking new stadium.

There's a huge vacant space just past the market called Smithfields but think it's going to be developed for some flats but could be wrong on that.

I honestly think only really scenario for a new 60k stadium would be out by the NEC so you'd just get another West Ham situation with us feeling detached unless we were top 4 like they are currently.

Perhaps you could purchase something close to Star City and develop a new ground there so would stay just within Aston although would still have same transport issues.

11 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

There's a huge vacant space just past the market called Smithfields but think it's going to be developed for some flats but could be wrong on that.

I honestly think only really scenario for a new 60k stadium would be out by the NEC so you'd just get another West Ham situation with us feeling detached unless we were top 4 like they are currently.

Perhaps you could purchase something close to Star City and develop a new ground there so would stay just within Aston although would still have same transport issues.

That site is pretty much the only option in the whole of the city, but it's the wrong side and would be a bit of a farce retaining the name Aston. There isn't anywhere that qualifies as Aston, and is closer to the city centre,  that would be suitable really.

Not sure I'm for moving.

Redevelop the area we are in, and improve existing rail services and we are on to a winner.

• Like 1

The old gasworks site is up for grabs side of the Express way, Pulling the towers down next year's I believe. 

Personally would be happy to stay just improve transport links and and maybe connect the new tram systems to all major rail and bus terminals. 

8 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Agree with some parts of the above, but the main reason for me is, I think Football in this country has moved on, and is moving almost towards a franchise system. The gap between the rich and poor is monumental and we need to make sure we keep ourselves in that group (as harsh as it seems).

We are kind of blessed in we are by far and away the biggest club in the second biggest city. What an unbelievable statement it would be to build a new 60k seater stadium in the city centre, and put a real stamp on the city of Birmingham. This is Aston Villa’s home, nobody else’s. 

I love the holte end as much as the next person but I also spent a lot of time in Cardiff and the buzz of the city on match day (granted it’s rugby), is amazing. Bars are packed, there are facilities for everyone. People just step foot off the train and they’re right by the stadium. 

Same as most stadiums in America. A lot of them can be found in the city centre and you know when you get there, that team belongs to that city. 

In reality, obviously there are financial constraints but if it was genuinely an option, I’d love us to move to the city centre in a brand spanking new stadium.

A stadium in town with bars selling drink you say. Hmmmmmmmm

Mate 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, VillaChris said:

smithfields is about to have one of the biggest redevelopments brums ever seen, its currently touted as £1.9bn, they've got a bit of everything coming, almost like a mini centre

i dont see anywhere other than next the NEC getting permission and even then i still think the council would ask us to pay for infrastructure improvements, we'd get roped in to making things better for the airport and the NEC so we'd have to wait say 20 years until they've done the link to the  interchange station and the tram to the city centre and all that guff and then try and move

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
23 minutes ago, Villa_Vids said:

I am surprised (and delighted) that Wyness & Xia did not support a move to a redeveloped Alexander Stadium after the Commonwealth games. I could imagine those two pushing that to the council.

We played in Perry Barr until we moved to VP

On 25/01/2022 at 01:22, Villa_Vids said:

I am surprised (and delighted) that Wyness & Xia did not support a move to a redeveloped Alexander Stadium after the Commonwealth games. I could imagine those two pushing that to the council.

1- its owned by UK Athletics and is their headquarters and 2- the transport infrastructure around the stadium is worse than Villa Park's.

If there was  massive piece of land available near the city centre the owners might be interested. I don't  think there is, and expanding Villa Park is the most sensible and cost effective way. Provided transport is sorted out and we effectively engage with local residents.

• Like 1

Just now, Delphinho123 said:

I'm still banging the new, city centre stadium drum... as much as people hate the idea on here!

Villa Park is just too compromised as a site by roads and housing. I’d be behind a move to a sparkly new stadium in the right location and design … I do wonder how locked into staying at VP NSWE are if the costs x benefits of any redevelopment don’t add up . 

• Like 3