Spotify - an online music service

bickster

24 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

Question: does Neil Young still own the rights to his own music?

I believe he sold 50% of his catalogue last year so expect he does. I can't recall the ins and outs but as he had the power to have it removed from Spotify, that cements that belief. 

28 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I believe he sold 50% of his catalogue last year so expect he does. I can't recall the ins and outs but as he had the power to have it removed from Spotify, that cements that belief. 

Knowing his dislike of streaming services on principle, his dislike of file compression and the fact that he has his own streaming service (Pono), he seems to have plenty of better reasons to come off Spotify, than a dislike of Joe Rogan.

But getting a whole new generation to ask the question, 'Who is Neil Young?', is a pretty decent marketing strategy.

• Like 1

Until I got Spotify I had literally never listened to a single podcast, ever. 

Now I do. Not that Rogan bloke, obviously, but there are some good history and music ones to while away the insomniac hours. 

• Like 1

Spotify pays the vast majority of artists a pittance, and Mr Spotify has just invested $100 million in weapons research.

How's the World going to get any better if this sort of behaviour is supported, just because it's convenient?

23 minutes ago, Xann said:

Spotify pays the vast majority of artists a pittance, and Mr Spotify has just invested $100 million in weapons research.

How's the World going to get any better if this sort of behaviour is supported, just because it's convenient?

I know he wanted to own the Gunners but that's going a bit far.

1 minute ago, Mr_Dogg said:

I know he wanted to own the Gunners but that's going a bit far.

It's crazytown. Checking the calendar to make sure it wasn't April 1st when I read it.

'Music is being used as a weapon': Spotify users and artists react to CEO's €100 million investment in AI defence tech

Resident Advisor

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Joni Mitchell has now asked Spotify to remove her content

Good. I have a lot of Neil's albums on CD, but I did use Spotify to listen to the ones I don't have.  

I own everything by Joni, so no problem. 

Edited by mjmooney

I'm all for artist calling out shit companies and I got my Neil Young albums on vinyl. But Amazon, isn't they way, way worse than Spotify, they are like some dystopian nightmare. And I'd wager you could find Joe Rogan stuff on there?

• Like 1

Neil Young has kicked off massive about 2 people sitting down and having a conversation about vaccines yet he is happy to share a platform with Gary Glitter and Ian Watkins 🤨

I'm pretty pissed off about the whole thing because I listened to Young pretty often and I don't have any physical copies of music these days so it looks like I'll not be listening to him for a while unless I stick the odd track on youtube or something.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, leemond2008 said:

Neil Young has kicked off massive about 2 people sitting down and having a conversation about vaccines yet he is happy to share a platform with Gary Glitter and Ian Watkins 🤨

I'm pretty pissed off about the whole thing because I listened to Young pretty often and I don't have any physical copies of music these days so it looks like I'll not be listening to him for a while unless I stick the odd track on youtube or something.

Aren't there two Neil Youngs?

47 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I used to like Neil Young too, "where ever I lay my hat" and "love of the common people" are my favs 😆

Fool. That was Neil Diamond. 

• Haha 2

Â