Spotify - an online music service

bickster

11 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

She also just got streaming platforms to remove the shuffle option from her albums 

No she didn't, she got Spotify to stop it being the default option, because what kind of lunatic primarily listens to albums on shuffle. Shuffle can still be enabled, it just isn't the default.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

No she didn't, she got Spotify to stop it being the default option, because what kind of lunatic primarily listens to albums on shuffle. Shuffle can still be enabled, it just isn't the default.

Ahhh, that’s slightly better and less egotistical I guess. She’s still a word removed though. Not an evil or horrible one, just a mild one.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Am I missing something? Albums don't default to shuffle on my Spotify. Some playlists do, but not albums. 

It was the behaviour of the primary button when you opened an album, but it had the shuffle icon, so you probably just never clicked it, I didn't either, and just clicked the first song to play the album through in order. Not really a big deal either way, as there was always the ability to play it in order but some people just headed straight for the big green button, I guess.

im not sure if this is the change or not...

on search look for adele, when her page comes up you will see a green circle with the black play triangle but then also to the bottom right the shuffle logo

if you then open up her album the green play button no longer has the shuffle logo on it

but davkaus is right, if you click the first song rather than the play button all of that was negated anyway

its an absolute non event which is stealth marketing 

edit - my understanding is she's got rid of this on albums - 

Spotify App for iOS Gets Refreshed Look - iClarified

Edited by villa4europe

38 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

It was the behaviour of the primary button when you opened an album, but it had the shuffle icon, so you probably just never clicked it, I didn't either, and just clicked the first song to play the album through in order. Not really a big deal either way, as there was always the ability to play it in order but some people just headed straight for the big green button, I guess.

Nope. Default is sequential, not shuffled. Random choice of album: 

Screenshot_2021-11-23-10-00-59-56_0438eb925998df20b3482ec25499d226.jpg

Edited by mjmooney

14 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I heard they changed it recently, something to do with Adele ;) 

OK, point taken. But I'm 100% sure it was always that way. I've played hundreds of albums on Spotify and I've never had to to turn off shuffle. 

18 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

OK, point taken. But I'm 100% sure it was always that way. I've played hundreds of albums on Spotify and I've never had to to turn off shuffle. 

Weird, I don't know what to tell you, at least on Android, it looked like this for the last couple of years and their forum was full of people asking to change it

How to Bypass/ Disable Shuffle Play in Spotify Albums and Playlists - All  Things How

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

thats on the main artist page and still exists

they've only taken it off the album page

Ha, you're right, I am struggling to find an image of it, and all I've done is add more confusion. I'm out :P 

31 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Absolutely true. A real irritant, then I just got into the habit of selecting the first track. By the look of it, it remains on playlists but the few albums I just had a look at, it's gone. 

Maybe you're right. It could be that my habit was to press track one, anyway. 

3 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Maybe you're right. It could be that my habit was to press track one, anyway. 

Yeah, this seems like a weird conversation in that I don't know any of this, but I think it's just because I've literally never not clicked play on track 1.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Yeah, this seems like a weird conversation in that I don't know any of this, but I think it's just because I've literally never not clicked play on track 1.

which is why its a non story and makes me suspicious of the whole thing

i think its free marketing for both of them straight from the ryanair, who are the cheapest airline in Europe, school of marketing

Just now, villa4europe said:

which is why its a non story and makes me suspicious of the whole thing

i think its free marketing for both of them straight from the ryanair, who are the cheapest airline in Europe, school of marketing

Nah it was definitely a thing, an irritating thing an one that annoyed a big chunk of Spotify's user base. It's easy to hit the first track if your device is in your hand, but if its dash mounted in your car, not so easy. I'm sure there are other scenarios too, it's just the way people use it in different circumstances

Â