Spotify - an online music service

bickster

Good on Neil. Good on anyone that leaves. Joe Rogan and his ilk is an eternal fountain of misinformation that Spotify really should not condone and pay good money.

Luckily I have all of NYs vinyl. Harvest is one of my all time fav albums, and I’d rather listen to it all hours of the rest of my life than having to endure a two hour antivaxx session with Joe Rogan.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bickster said:

Until your boss points out that you cant have any more money because Paul's earning it all

But your analogy is not really valid anyway as the Entertainment biz isn't a normal work model, you generally only earn what you recoup in sales

I disagree, I hate looking at others people's pockets.

I hope Rogan earns billion. I hope musicians earn a billion. 

I hope everyone makes as much money as possible.

That's not always possible. But let's not begrudge others their wealth. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, magnkarl said:

Good on Neil. Good on anyone that leaves. Joe Rogan and his ilk is an eternal fountain of misinformation that Spotify really should not condone and pay good money.

Luckily I have all of NYs vinyl. Harvest is one of my all time fav albums, and I’d rather listen to it all hours of the rest of my life than having to endure a two hour antivaxx session with Joe Rogan.

He’s still searching for that heart of gold I see 😁

There are many eternal fountains of misinformation in the world to be fair. Surely it should be up to the individual rather than Neil young taking the moral high ground on behalf of people. If he doesn’t want his music on Spotify for personal reasons then that’s up to him and I don’t blame him. 
I can’t help but think he and his publishers will benefit more by making a big deal of it and bringing joe Rohan’s  name into it. Maybe I’m too cynical. 
I did see something whilst in a youtube wormhole a few weeks back claiming ‘Hollywood’ and the ‘media’ were out to get joe rogan as he doesn’t need them to be successful. It made me chuckle at the time but that misinformation is looking like it might have been correct. 

1 hour ago, magnkarl said:

NY cost Spotify 2bn in stock value. If more big name artists pull out they will implode eventually.

The entire stock market fell down the toilet last week. I doubt very much that Neil Young had anything to do with that. 

Edited by Mister_a
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, bickster said:

Because Spotify doesn't pay them enough for what they produce and the deals with the prominent podcasters gets the podcasters more money than they pull in to Spotify, so the musicians are effectively funding the podcasters

That's not been the catalyst though, has it, or they'd have done it ages ago. They've decided to try and no-platform someone for political reasons. Neil Young's picked a fight he couldn't win, had a strop, and decided to help shill for Amazon instead, one of the services that pays artists even less than Spotify.

I like Joe and his podcasts, well, most of them. He has had some dodgy people on, but that's no different to Russell brand interviewing the westboro baptist Church to me. I'd rather know how these people think than drive them completely underground. More dialogue is preferable than less, if any hope of catching people before they head down these alleys. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

That's not been the catalyst though, has it, or they'd have done it ages ago. They've decided to try and no-platform someone for political reasons. Neil Young's picked a fight he couldn't win, had a strop, and decided to help shill for Amazon instead, one of the services that pays artists even less than Spotify.

You are correct, it's two entirely different but intertwined arguments

Neil Young has actually picked a fight he can't lose because he no longer owns his publishing

There is also no no-platforming here, Rogan is never in danger of losing a platform

Amazon pays more than Spotify FWIW (and thats on Unlimited and Prime, both are higher)

7 minutes ago, Mister_a said:

I like Joe and his podcasts, well, most of them. He has had some dodgy people on, but that's no different to Russell brand interviewing the westboro baptist Church to me. I'd rather know how these people think than drive them completely underground. More dialogue is preferable than less, if any hope of catching people before they head down these alleys. 

The difference is obvious though, with Westboro you know what you get. With JR you get what he calls ‘experts’ that validate his antivaxx-bs so that he can spout his nonsense on vaccines. Of course Spotify need to police that stuff, just like a paper would have to.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bickster said:

There is also no no-platforming here, Rogan is never in danger of losing a platform

True enough, it's certainly what they've tried though, and I don't like it - not that I was ever the target audience for any of these artists anyway.

Ultimately I think artists delisting their music is likely to be a big loss for the consumer, in the same way we've seen the cost of being a sports fan or video streaming services go up as "competition" improves, but it means we have to either limit or exposure to different artists, or pay through the nose for multiple services (or, yes, I know, go back to old-timey practices, like buying physical media ;)

Amazon pays more than Spotify FWIW (and thats on Unlimited and Prime, both are higher)

Yeah looks like I was looking at quite an old article with out of date rates when I saw that

34 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

The difference is obvious though, with Westboro you know what you get. With JR you get what he calls ‘experts’ that validate his antivaxx-bs so that he can spout his nonsense on vaccines. Of course Spotify need to police that stuff, just like a paper would have to.

I’m not so sure, unless he’s changed that much recently. He will usually interview people from both sides, or even have both sides on to discuss, and it’s just a long conversation. It’s up to the listener what to decide. He often says he’s ‘an idiot who doesn’t understand any of this’ etc, so why everyone has their knickers in a twist right now just confuses me, JR has always spoken to people on the fringes and will continue to do so. Lots of people like listening to him, and will continue to do so whatever platform he is on, so it ultimately doesn’t matter to him much I’d imagine. 

Alright, I'm a Spotify subscriber (I shouldn't be as I spend a fair chunk of time listening to podcasts on there). I should have cut the cord after the weapons investment and I really don't want to put money into Rogan's pockets. What are my alternatives?

I just tried out Amazon Music as it's cheaper than Spotify generally, even cheaper with an annual plan, and has a free trial, why not. For some reason, they don't support podcasts on their desktop app?!

I'll stick with Spotify. 

If you listen to rogans reply on spotify he accepts that his podcasts may seem one sided and that he is welcoming people on his show who have differing opinions. 

Might as well as close youtube, facebook, and the whole of social media while we are at it. Its not just joe Rogan thats spreads mis information about things this has been happening for many many years on these platforms.

Edited by Demitri_C
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

If you listen to rogans reply on spotify he accepts that his podcasts may seem one sided and that he is welcoming people on his show who have differing opinions. 

Might as well as close youtube, facebook, and the whole of social media while we are at it. Its not just joe Rogan thats spreads mis information about things this has been happening for many many years on these platforms.

The difference between Facebook and a podcast hosted on someone's servers is quite large though, and yes Facebook and Youtube do ban people like Trump, Marjorie Taylor Greene JFK Jr and so on. Joe Rogan gives these people a platform, Facebook and Youtube actually have started banning trolls and misinformation sources. Joe Rogan often takes these same banned people onto his show.

What Joe Rogan needs to do is to be critical of his sources even though they support his mad hat antivaxx view. He bares the resemblance of someone who constantly wants to find his 'gotcha' moment about the vaccines, and it's not a good look.

The idiotic statement from Spotify just shows that they're not willing to police this as they're afraid of the idiots. I hope more big name artists leave, then spotify can suck it.

Edited by magnkarl

Joe Rogan actually told most of his family and friends to get vaccinated. Most of his questions tend to be around whether children and healthy young people should get vaccinated. He's not just a blanket anti vaxxer, as much as the news headlines want to tell us that he is.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, JoshVilla said:

Joe Rogan actually told most of his family and friends to get vaccinated. Most of his questions tend to be around whether children and healthy young people should get vaccinated. He's not just a blanket anti vaxxer, as much as the news headlines want to tell us that he is.

The thing is, while TV hosts (in most cases) and other mediums actually challenge and disclaim against falsehoods and conspiracy theories, Joe Rogan rather constantly conveniently lets things stand unchallenged. To take one of the worst examples, even Fox News say "These claims are unproven and not true" when people come on to shout about the big lie. It's basic programming to actually challenge people with idiotic views, and Rogan does far too little of it.

Letting Robert Malone on his show was a new bloody low. The guy has NO IDEA about anything but to line his own pockets based on the loony antivaxx movement. He and his followers claim he made the RNA vaccines when he wrote some speculative paper on it back in the day and in no way developed the vaccines. 

Â