Spotify - an online music service

bickster

Weird, never happened to me - and I've gone into albums on Spotify and pressed track, say, #4 and then what happens when that song finishes?  Track #5 on the album comes on.

I don't think I've ever had an album play with shuffle being the default option.  Are people just pressing the "shuffle play" button and getting confused?

2 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Weird, never happened to me - and I've gone into albums on Spotify and pressed track, say, #4 and then what happens when that song finishes?  Track #5 on the album comes on.

I don't think I've ever had an album play with shuffle being the default option.  Are people just pressing the "shuffle play" button and getting confused?

That's what we are saying, the default big green button was shuffle, it appears to have been removed. 

• Thanks 1

On 21/11/2021 at 15:19, bickster said:

At least the world now actually has something to thank Adele for

Thanks Adele for telling me how to enjoy music. 

I was never able to do so myself, I usually started at the back of the album, went to the front, replayed the back again and went to middle tracks.

I can now listen to your story rather than how how I see it best.

I do have an issue though - my 2 year old son's dinosaur book has his favourite raptors at the back. I think I got to make sure he goes through the boring herbivores first. 

• Haha 1

Tangentially related; my wife deletes the tracks from albums on her .mp3 player that she would otherwise skip.  Her .mp3 player is thus filled with albums with gaps in them.  From a purely functional perspective, I kinda get it, but **** me those are the actions of a sociopath, n'est-ce pas?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

my 2 year old son's dinosaur book has his favourite raptors at the back. I think I got to make sure he goes through the boring herbivores first. 

Wait until you get to the challenging sophomore effort; goes down an Archaeopteryx route that totally alienates the core fanbase.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GarethRDR said:

Tangentially related; my wife deletes the tracks from albums on her .mp3 player that she would otherwise skip.  Her .mp3 player is thus filled with albums with gaps in them.  From a purely functional perspective, I kinda get it, but **** me those are the actions of a sociopath, n'est-ce pas?

so shes effectively converted a 10 track album in to say a 6 track playlist? 

i dont tend to listen to albums, i create playlists, lots of them, oasis live at knebworth for example i added all the tracks to my oasis playlist and then if i want to listen to it in full i just select the opening song and dont have shuffle on, i dont download the album and have it separate 

50 minutes ago, GarethRDR said:

I do this, and I think your wife is being sensible. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, bickster said:

She wasn't doing that.

I know. It was sarcasm.

She has every right to demand whatever way to play her album from the music provider.

But I think most people know an artist wants to shape an album a certain way, and most people appreciate it and play it that way. 

But some albums are collections of people's favourite music and some just want to mix it up.

So I think she is fighting a non issue, and making streaming a bit more awkward for no good reason.

5 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

I know. It was sarcasm.

She has every right to demand whatever way to play her album from the music provider.

But I think most people know an artist wants to shape an album a certain way, and most people appreciate it and play it that way. 

But some albums are collections of people's favourite music and some just want to mix it up.

So I think she is fighting a non issue, and making streaming a bit more awkward for no good reason.

Again, that really isn't what she is doing, you can still shuffle an album if you want to. It just isn't the default option on the big button, which was a pain in the arse if you wanted to listen to the album as intended.

17 minutes ago, bickster said:

Again, that really isn't what she is doing, you can still shuffle an album if you want to. It just isn't the default option on the big button, which was a pain in the arse if you wanted to listen to the album as intended.

It's literally one click of a button.

If that's a pain in the arse then you must have a really low threshold for such ;)

35 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

It's literally one click of a button.

If that's a pain in the arse then you must have a really low threshold for such ;)

Don't assume everyone interacts with an App the same way you do. 

I have no idea what happens if you use air pods and use the speech functions, if was the default to shuffle an album, then you will say the name of the album and it will automatically shuffle (I imagine)

19 minutes ago, bickster said:

Don't assume everyone interacts with an App the same way you do. 

I have no idea what happens if you use air pods and use the speech functions, if was the default to shuffle an album, then you will say the name of the album and it will automatically shuffle (I imagine)

Can you select music via headphones?

Way too high tech for me, you lost me there ;) 

8 hours ago, Davkaus said:

No she didn't, she got Spotify to stop it being the default option, because what kind of lunatic primarily listens to albums on shuffle. Shuffle can still be enabled, it just isn't the default.

I've never known Spotify to play an album in random order? I click on the first track and it plays through in the normal order. 

I do listen to Audiobooks on shuffle though. Makes them more surreal and gives it a Tarantino non-linear style ;) 

15 minutes ago, bickster said:

For me, the worst thing Spotify does is Podcasts, I just wish they'd give me the option to not have podcasts anywhere near my App. I'm seriously not interested in them.

I'm heading the other way, getting more in to them and I wish they'd do more of the ones I like, too many of them are interviews (although I do like hip hop saved my life)

Dissect, history of rock music in 500 songs, song exploder, listen up oasis podcast was OK, stay free the story of the clash was excellent 

Just now, villa4europe said:

I'm heading the other way, getting more in to them and I wish they'd do more of the ones I like, too many of them are interviews (although I do like hip hop saved my life)

Dissect, history of rock music in 500 songs, song exploder, listen up oasis podcast was OK, stay free the story of the clash was excellent 

I have nothing against podcasts, they just don't suit what I use spotify for. If they'd put them in a separate tab that I could ignore that'd be fine but....

New recomendations just for you... podcast, podcast, podcast, podcast, podcast. It's just a waste of the Apps real estate on me, real estate that could be used for me to discover something new musically

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bickster said:

I have nothing against podcasts, they just don't suit what I use spotify for. If they'd put them in a separate tab that I could ignore that'd be fine but....

New recomendations just for you... podcast, podcast, podcast, podcast, podcast. It's just a waste of the Apps real estate on me, real estate that could be used for me to discover something new musically

Also "Editor's picks". We know exactly what music you listen to, but here's some mainstream shite at the top of your homepage. Why can't I hide recommendations?

Edited by Davkaus

Â