Spotify - an online music service

bickster

14 hours ago, Hornso said:

Alright, I'm a Spotify subscriber (I shouldn't be as I spend a fair chunk of time listening to podcasts on there). I should have cut the cord after the weapons investment and I really don't want to put money into Rogan's pockets. What are my alternatives?

Get Youtube Premium, all the ads go pooof and you get Youtube music included.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, magnkarl said:

Good on Neil. Good on anyone that leaves. Joe Rogan and his ilk is an eternal fountain of misinformation that Spotify really should not condone and pay good money.

Luckily I have all of NYs vinyl. Harvest is one of my all time fav albums, and I’d rather listen to it all hours of the rest of my life than having to endure a two hour antivaxx session with Joe Rogan.

Do you have the The Monsanto Years?

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

I do, unfortunately. Terrible album. 

I thought you might.

I was just curious to see whether there was any difference between NY disputing the science-based reassurances of Monsanto, and Rogan allowing people to dispute the science-based reassurances  of Pfizer.

Cheers!

4 hours ago, Tegis said:

Get Youtube Premium, all the ads go pooof and you get Youtube music included.

I wish there was a YT Premium but without the music. Just so I can watch advert free video content. 

13 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

I thought you might.

I was just curious to see whether there was any difference between NY disputing the science-based reassurances of Monsanto, and Rogan allowing people to dispute the science-based reassurances  of Pfizer.

Cheers!

The Monsanto criticism was about patenting GMO seeds and suing farmers who resowed seeds they'd collected from their own crops as patent infringement I thought?

What scientific response is there to that? It was about politics and the law not science

• Like 2

I’m not aware of anyone disputing the Monsanto science being correct.

I think coupled with Monsanto’s reach and business practises the accuracy of their science was very much part of the problem.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, bickster said:

The Monsanto criticism was about patenting GMO seeds and suing farmers who resowed seeds they'd collected from their own crops as patent infringement I thought?

What scientific response is there to that? It was about politics and the law not science

So if NY's criticism of Monsanto was about ethics, then doesn't that equally apply to Pfizer?

Surely, persuading the US government to make Pfizer immune from being sued and changing the definition of a vaccine, was political?

NY felt free to criticise Monsanto but is trying to pressurise Spotify into shutting down Rogan, for allowing his guests to question the MSM narrative.

Is that consistent?

7 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

So if NY's criticism of Monsanto was about ethics, then doesn't that equally apply to Pfizer?

Surely, persuading the US government to make Pfizer immune from being sued and changing the definition of a vaccine, was political?

NY felt free to criticise Monsanto but is trying to pressurise Spotify into shutting down Rogan, for allowing his guests to question the MSM narrative.

Is that consistent?

You appear to think that Joe Rogan is the company, he isn't he's the naughty seed

NY criticised Monsanto and criticised Spotify for their business practices.

Pfizers immunity from Prosecution in the US is absolutely irrelevant

Entirely consistent

5 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

Is that consistent?

I don’t have much skin in this game, I gave up my Spotify account many years ago, I have no idea who Rogan is or what his schtick is, and I’m not a long term Neil Young fan.

But we shouldn’t be more concerned about Neil Young’s ethics than those of Spotify. They are a media outlet, paying for content to be created. What if they were paying for and distributing other spurious bobbins, about the NHS or Israel or Brexit or whatever.

I don’t know what Rogan has said, but the fact the owner of Spotify has now claimed to be changing things, suggests there was a case to be answered. 

I’m more interested in Spotify and all the others being properly held to account for the views and politics they distribute.

Not having to rely on Joni Mitchell or Barry Manilow to do the government’s work.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MakemineVanilla said:

I thought you might.

Cheers!

You are comparing apples to pears. You should listen to the Monsanto album, and then see how it matches with giving known conspiracy nut jobs a platform on a podcast hosted by another company making money off it. It’s not even ballpark similar.

How very Joe Rogan of you. Tried that gotcha moment..

I'd recommend listening to the last 2 episodes of Decoding the Gurus podcast. They cover 3 Rogan episodes with various guests, the latter 2 being him having 'discussions' with totally not anti-vaxxer quacks.

Rogan is a dangerous idiot with the world's biggest loudspeaker, who likes letting grim figures on to use it.

• Like 4

I just prefer long form conversations to sound bites, Joe Rogan does that. A lot of other people enjoy it. 

I guess that's why there seems to be a massive push to get him censored, which appears to be mainly directed from the MSM, who just so happen to be losing massively to his podcast in terms of viewership. Funny that. 

UFC News: Joe Rogan seemingly has millions more listeners than Tucker  Carlson, Fox News and CNN

I'll continue to remain on the side of the people not banning books, or banning people from speaking, as that generally is the right side of history.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Rogan used to be very good to listen to. In fact, it was around February/March 2020 where he had a podcast with some expert on infectious diseases and it was spot on about what was going to happen with Covid around the world. 

The problem is, that since Covid and especially in Trumps America, a large population of idiots, who are probably routinely mocked and ignored in normal life, realised that Facebook and other social media platforms offered them the opportunity to pretend to be the smartest guy in the room. And these people found each other and created these echo chambers, so that for once in their lives they could feel respected and intelligent. 

Rogan has moved towards that and has gained massive popularity over the years. With his platform, he has to take some responsibility for it. I'm all for freedom of speech but at the same time you shouldn't be providing a huge platform for people like Alex Jones to spread their bullshit. 

His ego and probably his bank balance, has taken a massive surge with a more right wing, lunatic audience and I can't imagine he has any interest moving away from that.

I'd still rather have these people making public statements of crazy (Alex Jones) than being driven underground where you have no idea what they are saying.

Freedom of speech has to apply to the people you disagree with, otherwise it's just another echo chamber, something JR's detractors continually accuse him of. (Obvious caveat for comments that incite violence etc)

34 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Rogan is a dangerous idiot with the world's biggest loudspeaker, who likes letting grim figures on to use it.

I think people are reeeeaaalllly giving Rogan too much credit.

The reason why he is popular (and I listen to 90% of his podcasts) is because the conversations are what you'd experience in a pub or a poker night with your mates while having too many beers. 

Lot's of shit talking, jokes, controversy, stuff you wouldn't say at your mum's bday party. Talks of aliens, scuba diving, dieting, the last episode I listened too was a lawyer who decided to leave the corporate world and take up fishing and discussing how to best protect the oceans. A great activist and a brave soul by all accounts. 

Most episodes are done while he smokes joints, he is high as a kite.

It's entertainment. Spotify once said that if they censor Rogan, they should censor rappers talking about smacking their bitch up and doing drive by's. They are dangerous views and shouldn't be repeated. Does anyone talk about 'de platforming' snoop dogg?

He praises Obama, votes Bernie Sanders, is pro universal basic income, he invites trans and homosexual guests, he is as liberal as they come. He never voted Republican in his life. He grew up in 1970's San Fran in the hippy community.

He also invited a number of very much pro vaccine and 'mainstream' doctors to discuss the pandemic. Of course, that seems to be forgotten.

Now, if anyone looks to the JRE as an 'information' show, or a place to get educated on virology or epidemiology, they are an idiot. The show is as true to the pandemic as the latest Jimmy Carr specials. 

So let's not make him to be some sort of a fascist alt right guru, because we will certainly miss the real ones - and he is just a high as a kite comedian talking shit. Simple as. 

• Like 2

Â