Spotify - an online music service

bickster

4 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Also "Editor's picks". We know exactly what music you listen to, but here's some mainstream shite at the top of your homepage. Why can't I hide recommendations?

Yep, Editors picks are shite

• 2 weeks later...

'Music is being used as a weapon': Spotify users and artists react to CEO's €100 million investment in AI defence tech

Daniel Ek announced the deal with Helsing earlier this month.

Spotify users and artists have responded to CEO Daniel Ek's €100 million investment in AI defence tech company Helsing. On November 9th, Ek announced the investment into the British-German company, whose technology will initially be sold to the French, British and German militaries. As part of the deal, Ek is also joining Helsing's board. Helsing says it will use "world-leading AI technology for defence and national security" to provide "information advantage for democratic governments" and "keep liberal democracies from harm." The €100-million deal, which arrives via Ek's €1 billion Prima Materia investment company, has angered some Spotify users, who responded to Ek's tweet by closing accounts and jumping ship to competitors like Bandcamp and Tidal. Some supported the hashtag campaign to #BoycottSpotify. Ambient dub fusion music producer Darren Sangita was among them. "AI means using computers to process information a hundred times faster so they accurately deliver a higher kill ratio," Sangita told Resident Advisor. "Music is being used as a weapon. I can't sign up to that, so I've already unsubscribed and now plan to take all my music down from Spotify [...] We believe in music as a powerful tool for peace, otherwise it's a complete contradiction of our music philosophy."

Resident Advisor

• Sad 1

On 23/11/2021 at 18:30, Davkaus said:

Also "Editor's picks". We know exactly what music you listen to, but here's some mainstream shite at the top of your homepage. Why can't I hide recommendations?

I also suspect that the reason you can't hide them is a new form of Payola, Payola was illegal but now it's just advertising

On 23/11/2021 at 17:49, Xela said:

I've never known Spotify to play an album in random order? I click on the first track and it plays through in the normal order. 

We established this after my identical comment - yes if you click on the first track, it does indeed play in sequence, always did. It was apparently if you pressed the big green 'play' button above the track list that shuffle would be the default. Thanks to Adele, it no longer is. As you can still invoke shuffle if you wish, I think this is a good thing. Well done, foulmouthed MOR foghorn woman. 

• Thanks 1

On 23/11/2021 at 14:29, GarethRDR said:

Tangentially related; my wife deletes the tracks from albums on her .mp3 player that she would otherwise skip.  Her .mp3 player is thus filled with albums with gaps in them.  From a purely functional perspective, I kinda get it, but **** me those are the actions of a sociopath, n'est-ce pas?

Hmm, depends. In most cases, I'd agree with you. But there are a few albums where I only like (say) half the tracks, and I may edit a 'cut down' version. 

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

Hmm, depends. In most cases, I'd agree with you. But there are a few albums where I only like (say) half the tracks, and I may edit a 'cut down' version. 

They become playlists not albums at that point

• Like 2

Screenshot_20211202-095333_Spotify.thumb.jpg.fd31833f11660c8694523bfbd6a3de06.jpg

The Eluvium one is because Virga is my 7am-9am soundtrack most mornings while I'm still waking up and can't handle anything too obtrusive and loud.

Great album tbf.

1,878 different artists I can understand but 140 different genres?...such twaddle 😁

Edited by Designer1

I decided to stick my top 100 tunes this year on in the car tonight. What a load of bollocks that is. Tunes I definitely haven’t played this year, tunes I’ve genuinely never heard of and a whole heap of tunes that are on one particular playlist that I’ve played A LOT this year, nowhere to be seen.

Its the same every year though so why I’m shocked I don’t know

5 minutes ago, bickster said:

I decided to stick my top 100 tunes this year on in the car tonight. What a load of bollocks that is. Tunes I definitely haven’t played this year, tunes I’ve genuinely never heard of and a whole heap of tunes that are on one particular playlist that I’ve played A LOT this year, nowhere to be seen.

Its the same every year though so why I’m shocked I don’t know

Weird, the only complaint I have about my top 100 is that I'm sick to death of them.

I don't even look at the top 100 playlists because I listen to entire albums, I'm not one for playlists at all really, that means that if I have really arsed 4 or 5 albums throughout the year then they dominate the playlist which makes for very boring listening 

Â