Spotify - an online music service

bickster

22 hours ago, Davkaus said:

It's that time of the year when Spotify tries valiantly to pick 5 genres I listen to :D

D7F38ky.png#

Safe to say that For Those Who Wish To Exist is my album of the year

rDEYslR.png

nice list

been a pop punk year for me. sum 41, offspring and jimmy eat world were my most played

It's wrong, of course. Although I did undoubtedly listen to lots of that stuff, there was at least as much classical and jazz that they seem to have completely ignored. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Is this top genres and artists thing available on the desktop app or only the mobile? On the desktop home page I can see my top 100 songs playlist, but not the artists or genres list.

Only mobile. Not a fan of how they've done it this year. In past years there's been a webviewer for it, and you can easily scrolling through it at your own pace. I found this year's really slow, clunky and difficult to use compared to how I remember it, but I always used the web app before.

I also have no idea how those squished genre images got through a dev cycle and into a finished product.  Great job, guys. 

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I work for a small software company several orders of magnitude smaller than Spotify, and if one of my team tried to push a design like that into the product I'd...Well, I'd give him some robust but constructive feedback, in a friendly way, in a private setting, because I'm a professional.

But I'd secretly be considering slapping the taste out of his mouth. 

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, Seat68 said:

Neil Young has said to Spotify, either you have Joe Rogan, or you have me. You can't have both. Spotify chose Rogan. A man that spreads disinformation and influences the weak of mind and the malleable. Who presents lies and half truths as science. The podcast of words removed. Over Neil Young. Neil Young has removed, or is in the process of removing his work from Spotify. 

BBC News - Spotify removes Neil Young after he calls for Joe Rogan to go
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-60149951

Apologies to anyone that listens to or is a fan of Rogans work, I feel for you, genuinely. Also please resist from telling me that I should listen to an hour of his shit to understand him and how he comes out with some great content. I don't need to. I have already seen too much of it. 

Spotify was always going to side with Rogan, they pay him an obscene amount of money per year to have his podcast on their platform

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

Spotify was always going to side with Rogan, they pay him an obscene amount of money per year to have his podcast on their platform

That's part of the problem, Young went for someone that they had shelled out to. I admire his (taking a punt on the correct spelling here) principles, but they were ways going to back Rogan. Would be interested to see what would happen if the biggest streamers on the platform all took a stance. 

• Like 1

Suspect Spotify might spend a bit more time and money on contract lawyers next time they sign someone up for podcasts. 

I'd be surprised if they're backing Rogan on principle, other than, "****. We can't get out of the contract or control what he says without it costing us a fortune." 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Anthony said:

Suspect Spotify might spend a bit more time and money on contract lawyers next time they sign someone up for podcasts. 

I'd be surprised if they're backing Rogan on principle, other than, "****. We can't get out of the contract or control what he says without it costing us a fortune." 

Might get interesting if a few more major artists remove their content (I suspect they won't) because despite Spotify pushing and pushing podcasts at people, people join the platform because of music

7 minutes ago, bickster said:

Might get interesting if a few more major artists remove their content (I suspect they won't) because despite Spotify pushing and pushing podcasts at people, people join the platform because of music

My money's on Taylor Swift next. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Neil Young has said to Spotify, either you have Joe Rogan, or you have me. You can't have both. Spotify chose Rogan. A man that spreads disinformation and influences the weak of mind and the malleable. Who presents lies and half truths as science. The podcast of words removed. Over Neil Young. Neil Young has removed, or is in the process of removing his work from Spotify. 

Apologies to anyone that listens to or is a fan of Rogans work, I feel for you, genuinely. Also please resist from telling me that I should listen to an hour of his shit to understand him and how he comes out with some great content. I don't need to. I have already seen too much of it. 

Had to mooney him and to be honest I am still a bit perplexed as to who he actually is and what he has done save for being "controversial"! I don't really care for Spotify anyway (personal preference) but I suspect I would be more likely to listen to Neil Young than Joe Rogan. It would genuinely be funny if a lot of other musicians pulled their music from Spotify because of this though. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Seat68 said:

I would imagine perhaps that Rogan’s podcast gets more listeners than Young’s playlists.

37 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I would imagine perhaps that Rogan’s podcast gets more listeners than Young’s playlists.

Yes, but that isn't really the point.

People don't join Spotify for Rogan's (or anyone's) podcasts. They sell their service as a streaming music platform

Sure Spotify is pushing podcasts to subscribers but that effectively means that the music for which they pay buttons is being used to attract people to the platform where they are then getting pushed the podcasts and those podcasts have no content filter.

The artists are being used to attract people to the opinions of nutjobs. Not only that but they are paying peanuts to the artists and paying the likes of Rogan $100 million a year and when those artists that have control over their catalogues start to realise that, more may follow.

Established artists don't really need Spotify as much as the up and coming ones.

Â