Spotify - an online music service

bickster

7 minutes ago, mrchnry said:

Musicians should be angry about the amount of money Spotify are paying Joe Rogan and others for podcasts. They've been paying artists an absolute pittance for years and now invest heavily in something else. 

Someone said Neil Young was being very brave removing his music from Spotify because now he'd have to find another way to earn the £2.71 he gets from them every month.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, theboyangel said:

He has a wicked sense of humour and more than happy to poke fun of himself. Decent guy, terrible music though! 

He also grew up in a windmill! Cley windmill, a fantastic structure in Norfolk. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BOF said:

Someone said Neil Young was being very brave removing his music from Spotify because now he'd have to find another way to earn the £2.71 he gets from them every month.

Well he's fully on board with the ethical giant Amazon now. 

1 hour ago, mrchnry said:

Musicians should be angry about the amount of money Spotify are paying Joe Rogan and others for podcasts. They've been paying artists an absolute pittance for years and now invest heavily in something else. 

Is it now considered unreasonable to expect consumers to actually buy their music at a decent price, like they used to, or is cheap/free streamed music now a human right?

9 minutes ago, bickster said:

That one's hardly a shocker as he's in Crazy Horse but will he have a word with his mate Bruce?

Yeah that's the interesting bit. But didn't Bruce sell his music?

Willie Nelson is rumoured to have asked for his music to be pulled. This is a trigger point for me. I listen to Willie across all formats, a lot of Willie. If he goes then I will follow to the brand that does host him. 

5 hours ago, mrchnry said:

I really don't get this line of thought. Why would they be angry about Spotify paying someone an X amount? 

They can be angry about not being paid enough themselves, but looking at other people's pockets is a shitty thing to do. 

5 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

I really don't get this line of thought. Why would they be angry about Spotify paying someone an X amount? 

They can be angry about not being paid enough themselves, but looking at other people's pockets is a shitty thing to do. 

It’s the ratios, I think. A song played, like, a million times by people gets them a relatively few dollars,  but a podcast gets the podder, like one million dollars or something. I don’t think it’s personal, as in “he gets more than me”,  more that Spotify is discriminating against them, and here’s an example ( in their view).

7 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Because Spotify doesn't pay them enough for what they produce and the deals with the prominent podcasters gets the podcasters more money than they pull in to Spotify, so the musicians are effectively funding the podcasters

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

Because Spotify doesn't pay them enough for what they produce and the deals with the prominent podcasters gets the podcasters more money than they pull in to Spotify, so the musicians are effectively funding the podcasters

I get that.

But let's be angry about musicians not getting paid enough.

If I get paid 30k, and someone in a similar role that works as well as me gets paid 35k, I'm not angry at him - I'm angry at my manager.

3 hours ago, sne said:

Yeah that's the interesting bit. But didn't Bruce sell his music?

So did Neil Young. Young was at pains to thank the publishing company for supporting his decision (Warner's iirc)

The music publishers may well be onside with the actions because it will open up the debate on the pitance that is recouped from streaming. It's in the publishers interests to disrupt Spotify and get the rates up too

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mic09 said:

I get that.

But let's be angry about musicians not getting paid enough.

If I get paid 30k, and someone in a similar role that works as well as me gets paid 35k, I'm not angry at him - I'm angry at my manager.

That is exactly what is happening, I'm not sure why you think it isn't

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

That is exactly what is happening, I'm not sure why you think it isn't

Because the poster said:

Musicians should be angry about the amount of money Spotify are paying Joe Rogan and others for podcasts.

I disagree. Pay the podcaster good money. BUT pay musicians good money too.

Don't be angry that podcasters get lots of money. 

Be angry that you don't get enough.

9 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Because the poster said:

I disagree. Pay the podcaster good money. BUT pay musicians good money too.

Don't be angry that podcasters get lots of money. 

Be angry that you don't get enough.

But in this instance Podcasters are getting too much money. They are being paid vastly more than they recoup, they aren't worth what they are being paid

There is only a finite amount of money for Spotify to redistribute and if some are getting more and the expense of others getting less, something has to give eventually

9 minutes ago, bickster said:

But in this instance Podcasters are getting too much money. They are being paid vastly more than they recoup, they aren't worth what they are being paid

There is only a finite amount of money for Spotify to redistribute and if some are getting more and the expense of others getting less, something has to give eventually

Podcasters are getting as much as their "employer" (Spotify) wants to pay them. If they didn't think Rogan was worth 100m, they wouldn't pay that. What are they, a charity?

There is a finate amount. But I'm not sure either you or me know what that amount is with relation to staff costs, benefits, commercial growth, and a million other factors. Wasn't there talk of Spotify owners buying arsenal? How about using some of that money? 

Again, if I am refused a pay rise, I'm not angry that Paul who sat next to me in a cubicle for 10 years earns more. I'm angry I don't get more, and my anger is directed at my management. Not at a number Paul earns. I wish him the very best, unless I'm a bitter person. 

5 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Podcasters are getting as much as their "employer" (Spotify) wants to pay them. If they didn't think Rogan was worth 100m, they wouldn't pay that. What are they, a charity?

There is a finate amount. But I'm not sure either you or me know what that amount is with relation to staff costs, benefits, commercial growth, and a million other factors. Wasn't there talk of Spotify owners buying arsenal? How about using some of that money? 

Again, if I am refused a pay rise, I'm not angry that Paul who sat next to me in a cubicle for 10 years earns more. I'm angry I don't get more, and my anger is directed at my management. Not at a number Paul earns. I wish him the very best, unless I'm a bitter person. 

Until your boss points out that you cant have any more money because Paul's earning it all

But your analogy is not really valid anyway as the Entertainment biz isn't a normal work model, you generally only earn what you recoup in sales

Â