Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

MaVilla

One thing on Gallagher is he 2 goals against us last 2 games all comps. 6 goals 8 assists all comps for the season is rubbish for what he'd probably cost. He's been shit in other games just seems to turn up against us

Edited by Kiwivillan
  • Like 1

Young, hungry player with def aptitude. 

I'd much prefer him as a squad option compared to Zaniolo etc. 

But maybe that's not enough for him.

5 hours ago, VillaAlex said:

Baena with just the three assists today for Villarreal. Takes him to 12 in 29 games. That's the most in La Liga btw, second best are a few on 8.

I'd be shocked if he isn't a target this summer. Unai loved him at Villarreal. Only thing is the price and maybe more pressing positions to resolve.

Saw earlier that he made the most egregious of "come and get me" pleas to Barca.

6 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

I feel like we just have to bring Philogene back. Seeing what Rogers has done for us just cements that for me.

I have watched him a few times this season and he's got some great parts to his game but he's not ready for the premier league and won't be for at least another season. It would be a waste of our time and his for him to come back.

We need a good dm, it's that simple. 

Philogene will most likely be in the Premier League next season, with us or another team.

He's looked very good every time I've seen him, he's definitely up there and prob has a better all round game than some of the other Championship wingers that get talked about such as Whittaker and Summerville.

He's also looked one of the better attackers in the England U21 set-up in recent games, and they're all Premier League quality.

It's obviously his outrageous skills at times that gets attention, but he's also a really hard working player, and whilst he sometimes loses the ball trying to do too much, he's not like a Madueke type, who will try and do everything himself evey time, he's a good team player

I think it depends what profile of winger we want, if it's someone to come straight into the first team then maybe Nico Williams would make more sense, but if it's someone to come in as rotation player, with potential to become more than that then Philogene or someone of a similar profile would make sense

Rogers, Watkins, Konsa and Cash all came from the Championship and showed quality. Much more than PL players. I’d say even Mings has showed his quality in the Championship with us (wasn’t playing for Bournemouth much), same goes for Martinez who only played little for Arsenal. 
The player who succeeded with us is Youri (who have relegated himself). 
I think that’s a very good market to look into. Players are used to the physicality of the league, while prices are reasonable. But we have to recruit carefully.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tinker said:

I have watched him a few times this season and he's got some great parts to his game but he's not ready for the premier league and won't be for at least another season. It would be a waste of our time and his for him to come back.

He's as ready as Rogers IMO. No doubt in the championship he was/is putting better performances than him.

Emery does magical things to players, especially forwards.

1 hour ago, tinker said:

We need a good dm, it's that simple. 

Don't think many will argue with this.

• Like 2

Morgan Rogers, Adam Wharton, Viktor Gyökeres, Nathan Tella, Alex Scott, have all moved up from the Championship recently and done well, already talk of 'bigger' clubs showing an interest in Wharton.

So maybe the success of those recent examples might mean more PL clubs look to the Championship in the summer, the likes of Jaden Philogene, Morgan Whittaker, Jacob Greaves, Ben Sheaf, Jonathan Rowe, Jordan James, Archie Gray, Jack Clarke, Jobe Bellingham, Leif Davis, and probably a bunch of others could all be in contention for a move

A lot of clubs supposedly watching Ronnie Edwards, Harrison Burrows, and Kwame Poku in League One too, who as it happens all play for Peterborough, maybe the other two will go to the Championship first, but good chance Edwards gets a move to the Premier League

I think you have to be careful though, doing well at Championship level doesn't in itself equal being good enough for the Premier League, and with a club like ours we will tend to go for the younger Championship players if at all, so it won't be just about what they're doing now but also what we think they have the potential to do

its Jonathan Rowe thats stood out for me from the championship the games ive watched , albeit a few........... summerville at leeds as well, who does have premiership experience as well

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, useless said:

Morgan Rogers, Adam Wharton, Viktor Gyökeres, Nathan Tella, Alex Scott, have all moved up from the Championship recently and done well, already talk of 'bigger' clubs showing an interest in Wharton.

So maybe the success of those recent examples might mean more PL clubs look to the Championship in the summer, the likes of Jaden Philogene, Morgan Whittaker, Jacob Greaves, Ben Sheaf, Jonathan Rowe, Jordan James, Archie Gray, Jack Clarke, Jobe Bellingham, Leif Davis, and probably a bunch of others could all be in contention for a move

A lot of clubs supposedly watching Ronnie Edwards, Harrison Burrows, and Kwame Poku in League One too, who as it happens all play for Peterborough, maybe the other two will go to the Championship first, but good chance Edwards gets a move to the Premier League

I think you have to be careful though, doing well at Championship level doesn't in itself equal being good enough for the Premier League, and with a club like ours we will tend to go for the younger Championship players if at all, so it won't be just about what they're doing now but also what we think they have the potential to do

There are always good players to be had.
When we signed Ollie from Brentford, they went and got Toney from Peterborough - and I suspect a few of us thought then, why don't we sign him too, as Brentford's recruitment was outstanding.

The issue is that Toney cost £5m (with add on's up to £10m) for a 24 year old League 1 player. The fees from lower league clubs is crazy. With that sort of money - you can't make many mistakes.

24 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

He's as ready as Rogers IMO. No doubt in the championship he was/is putting better performances than him.

Emery does magical things to players, especially forwards.

Don't think many will argue with this.

He's nowhere near as strong as Rogers and that's one of his weakness. Very similar to Diaby in stature but he's not as good. Quite where and how he would fit into our first team is a mystery to me but maybe I'm missing something,  I have watched him 3 times in the last 2 months for the full 90 minutes. 

I don't think we are weak in the type of player he is, we have Buendia coming back. We need stronger players ,.like Rogers and Zaniolo (who I'm assuming is going back to Italy) We also have Archer and A Ramsey coming back.

Philogene isn't actually knocked off the ball easily, he's surprisingly very combative, he doesn't shirk the physical side of the game, it's why he had a run of games as a rightback for Cardiff last season and did well there, he might not be as physically strong as Rogers but most players aren't.

It's Aaron Ramsey who struggles with the physical side of the game, who as far as I'm aware isn't coming back, unless we trigger the buyback, which I don't think we would do, as would probably be more beneficial to him and us if he were to do well in the Championship next season with Burnley if he can get fit

1 hour ago, tinker said:

He's nowhere near as strong as Rogers and that's one of his weakness. Very similar to Diaby in stature but he's not as good. Quite where and how he would fit into our first team is a mystery to me but maybe I'm missing something,  I have watched him 3 times in the last 2 months for the full 90 minutes. 

I don't think we are weak in the type of player he is, we have Buendia coming back. We need stronger players ,.like Rogers and Zaniolo (who I'm assuming is going back to Italy) We also have Archer and A Ramsey coming back.

Who said Ramsey is coming back? That only applies for Archer I guess.

• Like 1

Being linked with Kounde at Barca, would take a huge fee apparently.  Would probably be a decent signing, can play RB so Konsa can move back to CB.  Didn't he play with Carlos at Sevilla?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, duke313 said:

Being linked with Kounde at Barca, would take a huge fee apparently.  Would probably be a decent signing, can play RB so Konsa can move back to CB.  Didn't he play with Carlos at Sevilla?

He did and he was the Sevilla defender I wanted, but Barca was calling and we didn’t have a sniff… 

9 hours ago, HolteExile said:

Young, hungry player with def aptitude. 

I'd much prefer him as a squad option compared to Zaniolo etc. 

But maybe that's not enough for him.

yeah , wasn't that the reason he left , he wanted to play  and was happy enough to drop down a league in order to do so 

coming back to get the occasions minutes here and there doesn't seem to be what he wants  ? 

10 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

One thing on Gallagher is he 2 goals against us last 2 games all comps. 6 goals 8 assists all comps for the season is rubbish for what he'd probably cost. He's been shit in other games just seems to turn up against us

McGinn used to score about three a season for us. If we'd put him in the market in summer 2022 I bet we'd still have been asking for 30m +.

Gallagher is still pretty young so I believe some of the weaker parts of his game could be refined under a manager as good as Emery.

Â