Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

MaVilla

5 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

Tin hat time and I know it won’t be a popular statement but if we secure fourth and Champions League, I really wouldn’t be against us competing for Conor Gallagher. If rumours are to be believed and he’s available for around £40m, i’d take him. Yes, he’s a bit of a whingeing, moaning word removed at times but he can play. 

I do think we lack that horrible arrogance that the big teams have. Gallagher has that about him. Especially if Luiz were to leave, we’d be woefully short with Kamara out until October or November maybe?

I don't really see why it would be an unpopular suggestion. The guy is the single best player in the entire league at turning the ball over in the final third, so if that's a skillset we're looking for (I'm not sure it is) then he would be an excellent signing. He also has a shot on him, and works incredibly hard. 

I'm not saying we *should* sign him - have no idea really - but if we were to sign him, it wouldn't be crazy, he's a very good player. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

I don't really see why it would be an unpopular suggestion. The guy is the single best player in the entire league at turning the ball over in the final third, so if that's a skillset we're looking for (I'm not sure it is) then he would be an excellent signing. He also has a shot on him, and works incredibly hard. 

I'm not saying we *should* sign him - have no idea really - but if we were to sign him, it wouldn't be crazy, he's a very good player. 

It would be the old "He's British, overpriced and would run around a lot without taking us to the next level" etc.

Those are all things you would've said about McGinn two years ago and look at how he's improved his game understanding under a competent manager. He'd have still gone for 30m + if we'd sold him in summer 2022.

By today's standards he wouldn't even cost that much, probably 40m will get him this summer.

I think we need to continue making sure we sign players who actually want to play for us rather than coming here for a massive payday. Last year the forum was fawning at being linked to Ferran Torres and Joao Felix but in reality neither were interested in signing for us and now they both play for Barca so fair enough. Nico Williams I think could be another. Or he could just stay at Bilbao for a few more years as they'll be playing europa league at least.

Pau Torres however certainly did want to play for Unai again so that's exactly the type we need, wants to come for a new challenge and improve under the Don and in mid 20s bracket. A Torres for DM to keep that ticking over under Kamara is fit again would be perfect and the summer signing we most need.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

I’m afraid I don’t really have a suggestion of a player as I don’t follow all the European leagues.. but I’d love us to unearth a Gattuso type player..

In other words…. an ‘orrible …… of a player..

38 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

He is a good player, I don't think he is all that and he is definitely a player for the midfielder who plays furthest forward, also I doubt we would want to pay a wage he would want.

To be honest I'm really not interested in PL players generally as they are already highly paid and have a premium attached for the ones we want to sign, foreign and championship are the markets IMO

3 hours ago, thabucks said:

We could’ve done with some Spanish keep ball yesterday in midfield. I wonder if Koke could be tempted away from Atletico - class player and vastly experienced going into hopefully our maiden champions league campaign* Contract expiring this summer but with a years option. 

Would love us to go for Javi Guerra from Valencia but may be out of reach considering the other names linked with him. 

Or go Dutch with Mats Wieffer. We need that calm technical ability in the centre of the pitch. 

(*appreciate we have been Euro champions I mean in its new format as it’s a vastly different tournament since we were crowned kings of Europe) 

We definitely need a midfielder controller. Someone to help out the defence from he midfield too. If we can sign the next coming of Rodri, would take us to the next level. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

And he’s bulletproof like Watkins. Very good player. 

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

As another poster mentioned.

The main issue with Gallagher types I'd they are probably on massive salaries based on their sugar daddy contracts 

Agreed.. this is where Monchi has to earn his wedge

• Like 2

Baena with just the three assists today for Villarreal. Takes him to 12 in 29 games. That's the most in La Liga btw, second best are a few on 8.

I'd be shocked if he isn't a target this summer. Unai loved him at Villarreal. Only thing is the price and maybe more pressing positions to resolve.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

As another poster mentioned.

The main issue with Gallagher types I'd they are probably on massive salaries based on their sugar daddy contracts 

He's on 3 year deal 50k a week. 

• Like 1

I think Gallagher might be one of the lower paid players, hence why he’s not happy!

Would be a good pick up and is such an Emery style player as he seems to be able to cover various positions and is always fit. 

Makes a lot of sense but price is an issue. Would only be doable if Luiz leaves I imagine. Maybe even Ramsey too. 

40 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

He's on 3 year deal 50k a week. 

Oh, he's still on normal wages then.

Then again he's one of the Academy so won't have jumped in on one of those salaries.

6 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Oh, he's still on normal wages then.

Then again he's one of the Academy so won't have jumped in on one of those salaries.

The bumper contract players are on long contracts but only 90-100k per week

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mikeyp102 said:

Don’t Chelsea have to sell, before June because of PSR? There may be a way to negotiate a good price for Gallagher 

Allegedly but that was before they sold their hotels to themselves

Oliver Arblaster who we have been linked to is a similar style of player to Gallagher, might be difficult to get though as is a big Sheffield United fan, Wilder has just made him captain, and called him their best player, will inevitably leave eventually, but will maybe give them another season, it's only really been this season that he's had his breakthrough.

I've previously mentioned Angel Gomes, but have doubted we would go for him as he's not really a traditional DM, but now Percy has said we want a box-to-box midfielder, I wouldn't be surprised if we're one of the clubs looking at him, started as more of No.10, then became a deep-lying-playmaker, where he developed some DM qualities, and can play as a 'eight', basically an all rounder, but technically very good, reads the game well and has good vision, I guess similar kind of player to Luiz

Hayden Hackney is another potential target who I had doubted we would go for as not a DM in Kamara sense, but again if w want more of an eight style he could be an intereting option

4 hours ago, tinker said:

We need a player like Gallagher but not him.

I was thinking earlier all be it they play different sides of the pitch that Brennan Johnson cost Spurs £48m and Roger’s cost us around £8m (plus add ons)

they are kinda similar players , both are good players but to get one for £8m is the way to do it 

Gallagher would cost way more than he’s worth and I’m sure we can find some as good / better for way less

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, useless said:

Oliver Arblaster who we have been linked to is a similar style of player to Gallagher, might be difficult to get though as is a big Sheffield United fan, Wilder has just made him captain, and called him their best player, will inevitably leave eventually, but will maybe give them another season, it's only really been this season that he's had his breakthrough.

I've previously mentioned Angel Gomes, but have doubted we would go for him as he's not really a traditional DM, but now Percy has said we want a box-to-box midfielder, I wouldn't be surprised if we're one of the clubs looking at him, started as more of No.10, then became a deep-lying-playmaker, where he developed some DM qualities, and can play as a 'eight', basically an all rounder, but technically very good, reads the game well and has good vision, I guess similar kind of player to Luiz

Hayden Hackney is another potential target who I had doubted we would go for as not a DM in Kamara sense, but again if w want more of an eight style he could be an intereting option

Angel Gomes was on the bench twice against Villa? If he's not good enough to start for Lille, why would he be good enough for our team?
Plus he's about 5ft 2

Â