Morgan Rogers

Pongo Waring

What's the age limit for youth academy signings as aren't the costs associated with running the academy exempt from FFP calculations?

If they are then we should fill our boots

I haven't seen much of Rogers, but if he joins I hope this move proves to be a great deal. It does make me question FFP even more than I already do, though.

Trust Unai completely but there does seems to be an incentive for Clubs to sell their best academy graduates for profit just to help their accounts.

Does anyone know how Rogers compares to Aaron Ramsey and why, if similar in playing style, Rogers would be a preferred squad member?

13 minutes ago, nepal_villan said:

Is he better than JPB?

No idea, but JPB seems like a more traditional wide player, someone suited to a 433 or 4231. Rogers seems more suited to our system, left, right or up front.

1 hour ago, Jas10 said:

Dunno if legit but

Totally understand why. You arent going to weaken your team in Jan  for 4mill plus 1 when the player is 6 months into a contract. Monchi seems to always lowball out of the gate. But i doubt he was thinking that it would be a third of their valuation. 

Interestingly from looking on MIddlesbrough forum and looking at transfermarkt, it seems he's played much of this season as a No.10, or as an attacking central midfielder, some of Boro faithful's description of him could be descriptions of Ramsey, so would seem perhaps a good backup option, in that hybrid leftwinger/midfielder role. I say interestingly, because when I had watchd him previous to this season, he was more like an out an out winger, maybe a slighly different role this season is what has helped him to start living up to his earlier potential

• Like 1

Colour me unambitious, but I'm still just revelling in the fact that we're in punching as highly as we are this season, not being disappointed that rumoured signings aren't good enough on paper to consolidate the position relative to other sides.

You've got to be smart with signings, recent events with certain clubs are showing you can't just brazenly chuck money about and have it all click into place. If the numerous people that are involved in such decisions at the club feel that Rogers is or will be good enough, and has the raw materials that Emery and Co. can hone then I can't not at least be curiously optimistic as to what can happen if he were to sign.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AndyClarke said:

Great talent, physically impressive as well. As far as I am concerned a better player and more potential than JPB.

That's the key to making this deal viable.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

True or false? Morgan rodgers.

False.

Rorgan Modgers.

If those posts are true about valuations then I don't think the deal gets done. Can't imagine we are interested in paying 15m - or maybe thats just what the cost is nowadays?

1 hour ago, Indigo said:

not being disappointed that rumoured signings aren't good enough on paper to consolidate the position relative to other sides

Also Emery’s entire career has been spent building teams from ‘unfashionable’ players rather than glitzy names. It’s exactly what we should expect as an approach. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Anything11 said:

15m - or maybe thats just what the cost is nowadays?

It's been a lot more than that since 5 years ago at least

Edited by Kiwivillan

If they want £15m then we should walk away, even £10m would be excessive, we only got £5m for JPB. That’s a loss of £5m to get in someone not as good, baffling. For £15m you could get a proven player at the top level, if their contract is running down.

I know I’m being labelled negative, but sorry when Unai says we’re only looking to do business if we can improve on what we have then I had my sights set a little higher. All the talk has been about Frimpong, Nico Williams etc, and then our supposed top target is a Championship player that has started half the league games if a team 10th at that level.

We are 3rd in the league so I suppose I must ‘trust the process’ (whatever that means), but I suppose that’s why I’m more disappointed: we have a great opportunity to do something big this season and it’s like I’ve travelled back to 2009 again 😂

The one good thing I suppose is we are buying young players, not old, I’d like them to be at a higher level but at least they have resale value. I think I’d just like to see someone come in who is clearly improves what we have already.

If they’re demanding too much we should move on to another target.

I’ve never heard of him before and to be fair not heard much hype about him coming from Championship reports etc

• Like 1

Â