Morgan Rogers

Pongo Waring

9 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

This was the description of Leverkusen and Bundesliga fans about Leon Bailey when we signed him in fairness.

And they were spot on. He blew cold in his first season or so and he's been blowing hot ever since 😅

• Like 1

Just now, JPAngel said:

And they were spot on. He blew cold in his first season or so and he's been blowing hot ever since 😅

Yup... and I think this is in large part due to settling, and the tutelage of Unai.

Now as mentioned, this kid is already local, and is keen, so hopefully his progress can be fast-tracked somewhat.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Really looks nothing special at all. If this is the player we are targeting we may as well have just kept Philogene who looks far better and was actually our Academy player.

philogene asked to leave.

3 minutes ago, AndyClarke said:

Great talent, physically impressive as well. As far as I am concerned a better player and more potential than JPB.

Even Middlebsrough fans say Rogers is nowhere near the levels of JPB and Aaron Ramsey (who we also sold) and they'd know seeing as they watch him every week.

Just now, Leeroy said:

Even Middlebsrough fans say Rogers is nowhere near the levels of JPB and Aaron Ramsey (who we also sold) and they'd know seeing as they watch him every week.

Are you suggesting boro fans know more about player talent then Unai Emery?

Morgan Rogers:

One of the best youth prospects in the country when U16 which ultimately resulted in his move to Manchester City. 

Previously worked with Villa’s current academy guys when at West Bromwich Albion.

Physically he is perfect for the Premier League. Good size (6ft+), strong & quick once into his stride.

He is a v.good ball carrier & versatile. He can play wide (mainly left), second striker or even as the main CF. He likes to come short to link or turn and drive into the space.

He needs to improve around the final third (slowing down & making the correct decision etc) and has been a bit hit & miss this season

When it clicks - in game - he looks a real prospect. vs Villa he pushed away Luiz, drove forwards & put a decent cross in (if anyone has it 😄)

Against Coventry he turned, close to his own box, & carried the ball the length of the field. Moments like that really catch the eye.

As always, it depends on the price.

If it all clicked - and he became consistent - then he could be a real handful in the Premier League.

Similar players…he has bits of a Watkins/Brennan Johnson about him when in the final third but he does like to drop deep. Maybe Semenyo (Bournemouth) type in that he started wide but could eventually play down the middle.

As I hinted this morning, it is vital to keep on top of home grown players. I think Villa only have space for one more Non HG (and if they moved a Chambers on they would be at/close to the limit) so all that is taken into consideration.

Let’s see. Rowe could be another option.

Saw this rundown of him on twitter that seems to be a decent summary.

2 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

I'm sure if Unai sees something in the player that would be effective in his system, then I'll trust his opinion over any Boro fan

4 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

I wonder if this means that Rambo is badly injured. Maybe that’s made us move earlier than planned for this lad.

But he's not a signing a top 4 team makes, especially when they've already decided that they can't accommodate game time for their better Academy players and decided to sell them on. 

He'll basically come here and get even less game time than JPB was going to get so it seems a totally pointless signing as far as I can see. Unless it's for cheap and we loan him back to Boro and our plan is to sell him on for profit without ever playing a game for us like we did with Azaz.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Leeroy said:

So you reckon they'd know more than an elite Premier League scouting team and Unai Emery?

Truth is, we don't even know as much about our own players, as they do.

If it was up to some on here, Leon Bailey should have been flogged for 500,000 in the last summer window. ( Actual comment )

3 minutes ago, oishiiniku_uk said:

We've one of the best managers in the world, one of the most highly regarded sporting directors in Europe, an analytics department, a network of scouts etc... But yeah, it's more likely that Unai saw him the other week and thought: 'Hey, that lad's a bit quick! I'll call Monchi and get him to put a cheeky bid in!' 

Now now. Calm it a bit. I am saying maybe Emery liked what he saw and said to Monchi that he would like to see some more of Rogers. And then once he had seen it and done deep background on him they decided to press the button on it. It is a strange one. And i would have preferred Philogene to stay / come back , but in Unai we trust innit. 

Interesting to hear that his stats per 90 were compared to those of Ollie Watkins (when he was in the Championship).  The stats all look very impressive which does make you wonder why (a) Middlesboro would be tempted to sell - but hell everyone needs FFP money and (b) why he's not started more games for them.  I mean if we were currently in the position we were 2 seasons ago - a link like this would probably have been a bit underwhelming and to be honest I'd probably have moaned about it being an issue with Smith having come from the Championship and so not having a wider network of contacts / players that he's familiar with.  As it is we've now got a great recruitment and analysis team who have a huge network and so I'm genuinely intrigued as to what they have spotted and how he's stood out across such a vast number of players they will have analysed / looked at.  I mean he certainly seems to fill a notable gap (as does Kosta) and it seems to fit in with Monchi's reputed tactic of first team players in the summer and development players in January.

Â