Morgan Rogers

Pongo Waring

1 hour ago, Callum said:

They want 15m and a loan back for the rest of the season? **** that 🤣

I think they want 15m and not 4 to 5m with loan back for rest of season. 15m for Championship prospect is chump change these days

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BG_Villa_Fan said:

Why would you think it's a signing for the sake of it and not because they've scouted him, have the inside scoop from Harrison and genuinely like him. This is a weird hill to die on.

That's just like .. an opinion. Surely logic suggests there's a possibility you could also be wrong, so this crusade you've been on has been quite bizarre.

Of course it’s an opinion, don’t let it trouble you so much. We will see who is right in the next few years and feel free to admit you were wrong if it turns out that Rogers doesn’t amount to much.

Edited by Leeroy
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Of course it’s an opinion, don’t let it trouble you so much. We will see who is right in the next few years and feel free to admit you were wrong if it turns out that Rogers doesn’t amount to much.

So once more, have you seen Rogers play? :D

Just now, Leeroy said:

Of course it’s an opinion, don’t let it trouble you so much. We will see who is right in the next few years and feel free to admit you were wrong if it turns out that Roger’s doesn’t amount to much.

But of course. I've been wrong on many a player. Surely everyone on message boards have, we're not scouts. Which is why I find it so weird to have a very strong opinion on someone who is a complete unknown. 

Also, I'm not defending the specific bid for Rogers, nor the player's ability. I know nothing about him. I've literally watched him once. 

I defend the transfer logic - we don't have room with FFP, we can't go and sign players for the first team (supposedly), so we're taking chances on talented young players instead. Lottery tickets for small change. Not all of them will be good, most probably wouldn't and Rogers might be terrible, it's possible. But if they've scouted well and if one of these is a hit it'd be huge. 

9 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

So once more, have you seen Rogers play? :D

Saw him against us few weeks ago and didn’t notice him. Saw Boro in the EFL cup and a couple of league games and he didn’t stand out. Saw JPB in preseason and he had more about him and even then I wasn’t that arsed about keeping him. So you see where I’m going with this. I’m also well put off by the price, for £15m you should be getting an Eze or Bowen from the Championship, players ridiculously good at that level. Olise was only £8m from there and was younger and doing more than Rogers. 

If he was a £3-4m punt ok, but we’d be mad to pay double figure millions for him.

Edited by Leeroy
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Pongo Waring said:

second bid in

Because it's January it's unlikely they'll want to sell him for the value we place on him. So could easily just become a stalemate and it's left to the summer or we just move on from him entirely. 

We don't do sagas we move on when our max valuation is rejected. 

A quote from the boro forum

I've been one of Rogers' biggest fans since we signed him so while I'm not surprised that he's attracting interest from the likes of Aston Villa, I'm surprised that it's so early into his development as he needs far more experience in the Championship before he's ready to make that sort of move. It's only in the past 6 weeks or so that things have clicked for him so he needs to focus on his development and ignore unhelpful distractions like this. I'd like to think it's nothing that a new contract couldn't solve.

He's only 6 months into a 4 year deal so he can't exactly kick up a fuss if we reject Villa's offers. There's no sensible logic in cashing out early when you know you've signed a player with brilliant potential and they're developing well. We're in a strong position so we need to take advantage of it. I'm imagining any temptation to sell Rogers will come down to whether the offer gets to a high level where Scott thinks he could make the funds go a long way with targets linked up in priority positions who we could otherwise miss the boat on. We're a bit overloaded with wide players and #10's so it's an area that we're well prepared to sell a player. Whereas we're light in areas like strike and have long-term targets like Cresswell at CB who we can't currently afford.

In terms of the price for selling Rogers, Ramsey had a good 3 months with us that was interrupted by his recurring muscle injuries before being sold to Burnley for £12 millions. Rogers doesn't have any recurring injury concerns and has far more potential than Ramsey so I don't see any reason why we can't demand that fee as an absolute minimum. Rogers is a unique profile with his size, power, mobility and technical ability so is a far more niche profile to develop into a top quality Premier League player and even England international, especially compared to someone like Ramsey or any other typical young winger like him. Add in the January premium then you could easily demand more than what they sold Ramsey for. The supposed offers of £4 million and £6 million are derisory so I hope Scott tells them to either get serious with their offers or stop trying to unsettle our player.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

This guy.

My weekend entertainment has started early!

16 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

A quote from the boro forum

I've been one of Rogers' biggest fans since we signed him so while I'm not surprised that he's attracting interest from the likes of Aston Villa, I'm surprised that it's so early into his development as he needs far more experience in the Championship before he's ready to make that sort of move. It's only in the past 6 weeks or so that things have clicked for him so he needs to focus on his development and ignore unhelpful distractions like this. I'd like to think it's nothing that a new contract couldn't solve.

He's only 6 months into a 4 year deal so he can't exactly kick up a fuss if we reject Villa's offers. There's no sensible logic in cashing out early when you know you've signed a player with brilliant potential and they're developing well. We're in a strong position so we need to take advantage of it. I'm imagining any temptation to sell Rogers will come down to whether the offer gets to a high level where Scott thinks he could make the funds go a long way with targets linked up in priority positions who we could otherwise miss the boat on. We're a bit overloaded with wide players and #10's so it's an area that we're well prepared to sell a player. Whereas we're light in areas like strike and have long-term targets like Cresswell at CB who we can't currently afford.

In terms of the price for selling Rogers, Ramsey had a good 3 months with us that was interrupted by his recurring muscle injuries before being sold to Burnley for £12 millions. Rogers doesn't have any recurring injury concerns and has far more potential than Ramsey so I don't see any reason why we can't demand that fee as an absolute minimum. Rogers is a unique profile with his size, power, mobility and technical ability so is a far more niche profile to develop into a top quality Premier League player and even England international, especially compared to someone like Ramsey or any other typical young winger like him. Add in the January premium then you could easily demand more than what they sold Ramsey for. The supposed offers of £4 million and £6 million are derisory so I hope Scott tells them to either get serious with their offers or stop trying to unsettle our player.

Because of this, can't see Boro accepting a low-ball offer, it will have to be £10m + and probably a load of addons.

48 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

That's a hot take. We might not even sign him

He's only just signed a new contract, so Boro have no reason to sell unless the player requests a transfer.  We're gonna have to increase the offer, probably something similar to Ramsey for them to agree.  City also have a sell on clause as well, which would reduce Boro's fee even more.

So, will depend how much Emery and Monchi want him, if they feel he's worth that much.

I think this is one of those, where if the price gets stupid, we'll simply drop it and move on.

I saw one poster on social media say " I don't get it, he's not different to anything we have, he's basically Zaniolo! "

That... Was interesting because I did theorise that, he could potentially be a Zaniolo, on a tenth of the wages, and a third of the transfer fee, with more scope to grow and improve with us in the long term.

This would make total sense to me from that angle.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Leeroy said:

Dunno if its Monchi or Unai who want him, or both, either way I believe they’re wrong on this.

Happy to be proven wrong if he goes on to become a superstar for us. Don’t see it at all.

Have you seen him play a lot?

2 hours ago, TheMightyVillans said:

We should get a discount for giving them Archer last season.

We actually got circa £2m in loan fees from Cam and Ramsey in loan fees 

I agree that this could be a deal that we're looking at because the Zaniolo deal hasn't worked out that well so far. Might be that Zaniolo is being recalled and we are bringing forward a summer target.

Could see this one happening, especially if the player is very keen on the move. However, I wouldn't want us to loan him back as he can spend the next 6 months getting used to Emery's expectations, ready for next season.

Â