Morgan Rogers

Pongo Waring

14 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Dunno if legit but

Makes no sense paying £15m for this lad when we let JPB go for £5m who IMO is far more of an advanced prospect. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Kingman said:

Makes no sense paying £15m for this lad when we let JPB go for £5m who IMO is far more of an advanced prospect. 

JPB is better - so Rogers is worth below 5 million?

12 minutes ago, Kingman said:

Furthermore, Aaron Ramsey had better stats last year at Boro. This link is a head scratcher for me.

7 minutes ago, Kingman said:

Agree that 15 million is steep, but JPB plays predominantly on the right (or at least he did in preseason) and I believe his buyback is about the same.  JPB wanted a move because he wasn't content with being 2nd/3rd choice and wanted to play more (can't fault him for that).  I also believe there's some accounting advantages with selling the likes of JPB, Ramsey and Archer that would exceed the advantages of selling someone who didn't come through the youth.  If this lad Rogers is good enough and/or has the belief that he can come in and compete straight away then I trust that the club will be getting it right with the accounting/FFP side of things. 

31 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Jesus reading the stuff you have posted in this thread is almost like giving myself a lobotomy.

If you are not sure what that is, which I suspect might be the case, look it up, you may learn something. 

Okay, Hank. Go have a lie down.

3 minutes ago, nepal_villan said:

Furthermore, Aaron Ramsey had better stats last year at Boro. This link is a head scratcher for me.

Did he? Maybe goals or assists... but all round Rogers is better. Also, doesn't have the injury record of Aaron. I rated Ramsey Jnr, but there's data out there showing Rogers is performing better (especially so more recently) than Ramsey did.

And more importantly than all that, we have a world class director of football and manager, that obviously think he's a better option. 

14 minutes ago, Kingman said:

1 minute ago, nepal_villan said:

Different players, different roles and entirely different seasons for Boro as a club.

I understand the comparison as it's a natural one to make, but Boro were massively successful last season due to Chuba Akpom's presence as sort-of-number 10.  A whole host of players thrived off playing alongside him - notably Archer and Ramsey, but also Hackney and McGree playing a lot of through balls to an attacking trio (Crooks and Forss did pretty well from memory).  They were setup to be an incredibly attacking side for the second half of the season.

I have no real knowledge of Rogers (other than he became a beast in one of my older FM saves), but he currently has 6 goals and 7 assists this season from approx. 18 games of football and, from the video on the first page, looks to be exactly the sort of attacking player we're missing.  Maybe Philogene could've been that player - people are saying he pushed for the move - but he isn't.  If you're using £15m as a factual figure then, over a 5 year contract, Rogers' signing would be £3m this season.  We sold Philogene for £5m.  On an FFP basis, that's a £2m profit booked for a "similar" player at worst.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pongo Waring said:

You guys saying JPB is better than Rodgers are just looking at goals and assists stats rather than the bigger picture. Stick to FIFA.

Yeah, overrated those goals and assist stats!

Come round here with those goal contribution facts, ya pesky peasants :D

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Kingman said:

Yeah, overrated those goals and assist stats!

Come round here with those goal contribution facts, ya pesky peasants :D

In fairness, the video on first page has a clip of Rogers squaring a ball to someone who somehow managed to blaze it over the top from about 8 yards :D 

11 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

tbf, if Bailey or Diaby had done this, many ppl on here would have jizzed all over the forum.

Had that gone in I might have jizzed just now, as it was, anti climax.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Right, I’m here. What have I missed. 

Leeroy is a massive fan of the player and is desperate for us to sign him is what i've garnered from the thread so far...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

If you're using £15m as a factual figure then, over a 5 year contract, Rogers' signing would be £3m this season.  We sold Philogene for £5m.  On an FFP basis, that's a £2m profit booked for a "similar" player at worst.

For all those saying “why pay £15m when we sold JPB for £5m?”:

1) The £15m is a speculative figure

2) As Bobzy points out, in the weird world of FFP that means a £2m profit this year not a £10m loss

3) We gave a discount on JPB to include a buyback.

I’d really focus on #1 at this point anyway!

• Like 2

Â