Morgan Rogers

Pongo Waring

Seems a strange one this; Boro will try to extract a high price because of who we are.

You would have thought a player of equal stature could of been found in a different league with all Monchi's supposed connections.

I'm surprised Villa are shopping in England.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Seems a strange one this; Boro will try to extract a high price because of who we are.

You would have thought a player of equal stature could of been found in a different league with all Monchi's supposed connections.

I'm surprised Villa are shopping in England.

If the right player is available doesn't matter where it's from, we should go for it. Can't rule out shopping from anywhere. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, ismail-villa said:

If the right player is available doesn't matter where it's from, we should go for it. Can't rule out shopping from anywhere. 

But he so clearly doesn't seem the right player for a team 3rd in the best league in the world. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 3

We’re obviously feeling each other out, us with low bids and them with a high valuation. I suspect that this will get done at about £9m or we will walk away from it. We’re about to see what Monchi is made of.

It’s also a very interesting ploy from us to agree to loan the players back for the remainder of the season. We know that clubs hate to lose players in January and you are often held to a January tax. This is a way to avoid that but also avoid more aggressive competition in the summer when other clubs are more active in the market. It’s a good strategy and allows these young players a further few months development at the level they’re already at.

4 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

But he so clearly doesn't seem the right player for a team 3rd in the best league in the world. 

Perhaps not. But we don't have the resources that other teams around 3rd have. Tottenham can afford to go and spend 100M in january, we can't . So we have to take risks with younger players like this lad, the serbian kid and others. If 1 of 3 pans out it'd be a win. 

Unless we achieve champions league revenue we couldn't compete on the market and in order to get there we'd have to overachieve, not outspend the rivals. 

No issue with Boro having their valuation for him and insisting it’s met. Hope and believe we won’t pay more than we think he’s worth at this stage of his development. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BG_Villa_Fan said:

Perhaps not. But we don't have the resources that other teams around 3rd have. Tottenham can afford to go and spend 100M in january, we can't . So we have to take risks with younger players like this lad, the serbian kid and others. If 1 of 3 pans out it'd be a win. 

Unless we achieve champions league revenue we couldn't compete on the market and in order to get there we'd have to overachieve, not outspend the rivals. 

We clearly do have resources,  we are just avoiding FFP, Spurs have Harry Kane money to bolster their finances, but they also have a stadium to pay for.

Simply cannot blame a Championship club for extracting top dollar from a prem club, they're being shafted enough in the football pyramid. The player will no doubt want to come, so we'll get this over the line and Boro will be pissed off, such is the power imbalance. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Leeroy said:

If they want £15m then we should walk away, even £10m would be excessive, we only got £5m for JPB. That’s a loss of £5m to get in someone not as good, baffling. For £15m you could get a proven player at the top level, if their contract is running down.

'Loss of £5m to get someone in not as good'. How much have you seen of Rogers? Do you really think we'd be dumb enough to pay more for a downgrade?

Edited by Tom13
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, BG_Villa_Fan said:

Actually other teams have FFP issues, Newcastle, Man Utd. But they don’t sign players for the sake of it.

If anyone thinks selling a better player in JPB for less money than we’re buying Rogers for only a few months later makes any sense whatsoever then you’re all mad.

51 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Clearly, you're wrong, as the manager who has us third in the best league in the world wants him.

Dunno if its Monchi or Unai who want him, or both, either way I believe they’re wrong on this.

Happy to be proven wrong if he goes on to become a superstar for us. Don’t see it at all.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

'Loss of £5m to get someone in not as good'. How much have you seen of Rogers? Do you really think we'd be dumb enough to pay more for a downgrade?

JPB is a more essential player for a team higher up the league. He’s already in his third season in the Champ. You do the maths. Personally I wasn’t that bothered about keeping JPB, he wouldn’t have played much in a strong squad. It’s why I’m so confused why we’re trying to sign someone not as good only a few months later for more money.

1 minute ago, Leeroy said:

JPB is a more essential player for a team higher up the league. He’s already in his third season in the Champ. You do the maths. Personally I wasn’t that bothered about keeping JPB, he wouldn’t have played much in a strong squad. It’s why I’m so confused why we’re trying to sign someone not as good only a few months later for more money.

So you haven't seen Rogers play?

Â