Ratings & Reactions: Everton v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

233 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 16/01/24 at 23:59

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

yes we do.

But we struggle, with the press, to create anything....every time we get the ball, we are challenged, and too many times the opponent disrupts our rhythym.

This happens more often away from home.....and Diaby and Bailey look too lightweight, away from home....I thought Ollie was poor too, absolutely no threat.

No threat, is the really disturbing bit.....He has to make threats, of his own.

I think you and I have been in tune on this for a while. So, not him because he looks a bit gangly and awkward, but we need a proper brute who can also play a bit, similar to Dacoure. I suppose the cultured brute is a Udoggie or Guimares?

13 minutes ago, bose said:

Found out, come on!

Everton were dreadful going forward today and we struggled because we were poor in the final third, made the wrong decisions and were sloppy.

I don’t agree at all that we struggle against teams that play dinosaur football, we usually spank them.

Its not dinosaur football, thats a ridiculous term anyway...that doesn't even represent the point you are trying to make.

you can turn to any sport, for comparisons.....no opponent, is going to give you a free reign, you have to earn it.....and today, we didn't....and we didn't in the last away game.

Open your eyes.

ps but they still had the best chance of scoring.

57 minutes ago, Lerner's Driver said:

I think you and I have been in tune on this for a while. So, not him because he looks a bit gangly and awkward, but we need a proper brute who can also play a bit, similar to Dacoure. I suppose the cultured brute is a Udoggie or Guimares?

I think, there are many pointers to look to, and obviously, I agree.....but it seems Unai, only wants to play with creative players....which in the ideal world, is fine.

Wenger tried to do it, but SAF had the edge, because he saw the bigger picture.

Look, I am over the moon, with what Unai has done, but IMO it needs a bit of grit in the team, to loosen the opponents grip on our flair players....I am talking squad, not just first team.

At home we are fine....away, we lack that bit of x factor, to gets us over the line.

Ps I thought it looked a bit better, when Tielemans, Duran and Zaniolo came on.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, El Segundo said:

If Diaby goes down after the challenge by Mykolenko he gets a pen because a review by VAR would show the clear contact, and those are given these days. 

The second challenge by Tarkowski was a two footed lunge verging on a Mee-style scissor challenge.  Although he gets the ball first that's irrelevant to whether it's a foul.  It's made with excessive force and the follow through put Diaby in danger of serious injury.  It's a foul all day long and potentially a red card, at the very least a yellow. 

The later challenge on Moreno was also an out of control two footed lunge that could have broken Moreno's leg if he hadn't jumped over it.  Another red card offence.  The ref either doesn't  know the laws or has bottled out of applying them.  

Yup.

Doesn't mean we weren't poor by our own standards, but the ref definitely contributed significantly to that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Herman22 said:

Wan Bisaka has just been booked for clearly winning the ball and following through. Half the level of this! 

Appalling. Absolutely inexcusable that it wasn’t given and that Tarkowski wasn’t penalized for that.

Was driving to London when we scored and the four minute VAR delay while they found anything they could to disallow the goal just enforced my view I will never pay to watch live football again while the pricks at Stockley Park are ruining the game.

Both commentators on WM could not make out who was actually offside, whoever it was didn’t seem to interfering with play but do what?

Anything to get involved.

Sounded like that clogger Tart - Offski should have been off ski.

Disappointing result.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, TRO said:

yes we do.

But we struggle, with the press, to create anything, against teams intent to stop us....every time we get the ball, we are challenged, and too many times the opponent disrupts our rhythym...it then becomes scrappy.

This happens more often away from home.....and Diaby and Bailey look too lightweight, away from home....I thought Ollie was poor too, absolutely no threat.

No threat, is the really disturbing bit.....He has to make threats, of his own.

The best pressing teams in the league are Man City, Liverpool, Spurs, Brighton, Arsenal and Newcastle. Unai Emery has beaten them all. 

The problem today wasn’t physical it was technical.

• Like 1

Putting on Duran so early has cost us dearly. Was like playing with 10 men. People claim he is some great talent. Utterly laughable. Most sunday league players are more complete footballers.

50 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

Again, as in when we were this high at year-end, again.

We were 7th last year and 2nd at New Year.

As a more serious point, whilst we all want Champions league football and we've put ourselves into a decent position to have a crack at getting it - we've got to remember that 6th and Europa league would still be a step up in terms of European football and would continue to help develop our coefficient. 

Champions league would be wonderful, Europa league would be good, 8th and below would be very bad. I don't think we should be developing a sense of entitlement or achievement yet, there's a long way to go.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, vreitti said:

Putting on Duran so early has cost us dearly. Was like playing with 10 men. People claim he is some great talent. Utterly laughable. Most sunday league players are more complete footballers.

That’s extremely unfair. He didn’t look out of place at all when he came on. Linked up play. Dropped deep and kept possession. He came closest to scoring with a good effort and had another header just wide. He was a physical presence too. I thought he looked dangerous. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, TRO said:

Its not dinosaur football, thats a ridiculous term anyway...that doesn't even represent the point you are trying to make.

you can turn to any sport, for comparisons.....no opponent, is going to give you a free reign, you have to earn it.....and today, we didn't....and we didn't in the last away game.

Open your eyes.

ps but they still had the best chance of scoring.

The ref cost us that game, you could see the influence he had on it and the way Everton played, they had 1 yellow card and we had 4. We're not pulling up trees but no one apart from City are.

14 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

The best pressing teams in the league are Man City, Liverpool, Spurs, Brighton, Arsenal and Newcastle. Unai Emery has beaten them all. 

The problem today wasn’t physical it was technical.

Don't think we've beaten Liverpool since Emery took over.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Exactly. And we were crap

Ah we'll have to disagree there.

Stodgy in the final third but total control for 90% of the match. It looked like a cup tie against a league one side.

Â