Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Burnley

limpid

Match Polls  

222 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/01/24 at 23:59

2 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Late penalty to beat 10 man Burnley. Fell over the line and worrying slide in performances continues. I have massive doubts about this side getting over the line this season to get Champions League. 

Glad there are only 2 Premier League games in January. None for over 2 weeks can hopefully rest and reset. 

Today on back of last two games was worrying. 

Are you ok?

We need to be more clinical. At the end of the day it was a 4-1 game that ended 3-2 and only by a whisker.

It's been a bit of a rollercoaster since Man City. Hopefully with some players returning we can kick on.

I thought that was a brilliant game first off. Had everything. Getting to joint top after 20 games is a huge achievement, the momentum of a last minute penalty like that coupled with the return of Kamara is very timely now. Burnley made a game of it, they always do at Villa Park given we hadnt beaten them at home since that 5-2 in 2010. Another obscure curse Unai has lifted.

Leon Bailey MOTM. Thought he was excellent again and a joy to watch.

Special mention to Jhon Duran- superb cameo. Relieved pressure on us on a fair few occasions there and of course won the pen. 

Diaby and Ramsey very wasteful but whatever, just buzzing to get that over the line. Back on track now 😀

UTV

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Joshie2000 said:

Looks like we sold the wrong brother, JJ played rubbish again and missed the easiest chance.

But I sad prematch I'd take a poor game for a win and we got it, UTV

This is so far beyond laughable, there isn't an emoji that suffices.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

A win is a win, Villa have needed for many a year to grind out wins. Did just that today.

Thought Diaby was much improved but then again he missed a couple of good chances, after their sending off Villa should really have scored a couple to make it comfortable.

Kamara back will add some stability and bolster the first eleven, we need him and he'll be fresh.

Diaby missed more than a couple, he missed 3 or 4 big chances in the second half. He doesn't look fit and hasn't for some time. Walked almost limping in 1st half and again 2nd half. 

We won so all is forgiven, but something doesn't seem right with him and hasn't for months.

2 minutes ago, allani said:

Yeah and just remind me which teams in the league have dropped the most points this season from a leading position....  If you are using the "yeah but if the penalty hadn't been awarded" argument can I also use the 3 poor misses from Diaby, the big chance missed by Ramsey and two poor shots from McGinn as reasons why we should have won that match by 3 or 4?

I don't really understand your argument to be honest. You're right, we had multiple opportunities to put the game to bed, all spurned. Not actually great! Then we conceded a stupid equaliser and barely got out of jail. It's fine, we won, but I don't have to pretend it was a good or convincing victory. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Late penalty to beat 10 man Burnley. Fell over the line and worrying slide in performances continues. I have massive doubts about this side getting over the line this season to get Champions League. 

Glad there are only 2 Premier League games in January. None for over 2 weeks can hopefully rest and reset. 

Today on back of last two games was worrying. 

Lol ok mate 

This game was only about grinding out 3 points and then giving this amazing team a very well deserved rest.

Send them all to Dubai or wherever for a week with their families so they can recharge  properly for the second half of the season which will be even harder than the last few months.

Play the kids and the stiffs in the FA Cup and hopefully that will be enough.

• Like 2

We've got a much less busy period coming up and with key players returning soon. Was so important we got through today with 3 points, which we did. Need to go into the new year fresher and bring in a quality RB for our top 4 charge.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

People saying some are losing the plot???

Shittest team in the league with 10 men against a top 4 team and we nearly mugged it.

Yes we're gonna lose the plot, like Emery would!!

Crucial word there NEARLY.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank god for this little winter break thing now because we’ve fell off big time. Maybe it’s the lack of Kamara but it’s been a rough few games. 

Serious lack of cutting edge today made it far harder than it should’ve. An occurring theme. 

3 points is 3 points, although the penalty was... fortunate... The amount of chances we missed probably means we just about deserved to win.

We've got through a tough and busy month with Bournemouth away, Man City, Arsenal, a trip to Bosnia and Brentford away in 15 days, then a 4 day gap to Sheffield Utd, Man Utd away and Burnley in 8 days. Our record is P8 W4 D3 L1 - we're 2nd/3rd in the league, comfortably into the Last 16 in Europe.

We're back to 1 game a week now, with the chance to reset and time on the training pitch between games, as well as getting a couple of players back fit and give a mini break to some players next weekend before an actual break after Everton (at least 1 week depending on whether or not we win at Boro).

Drink it in

Edited by StewieGriffin
  • Thanks 2

What looked like a shoo-in at kick-off began to look like a possible banana-skin thirty minutes in.

Our £50m+ striker missed chance after chance and the backline looked ponderous and slow.

Even Moreno couldn't sort his feet out.

The men of the match were either Watkins or Bailey.

Witnessing Villa's many shortcomings made it very anxious to watch.

The referee wasn't bad but he either missed the elbow on McGinn, or didn't want to send the player off - I suspect the latter.

The Villa bubble hasn't quite burst but is definitely slightly deflated.

Â